1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like 'em on a AR but not a handgun?

I was shooting my M&P M2.0 9mm today and then I started shooting terrible. I thought, what in the heck is goin on. I soon discovered the issue. One of my mounting screws had fallen out and the other one was loose. The gun came with a bunch of plates and screws already loaded with blue Loctite. I think I had removed and reinstalled them at some point for some reason if I remember correctly. That's why they backed out.

So, I just ended up removing the optic and I enjoyed shooting it more without. I've never cared for the co-witness tall sights while looking through the optic. I believe this may be my issue. My AR's with red dots have no iron sights and I like it that way. The sights on this gun and another one in 10mm I sold have the same tall sights and I don't like them with a red dot.

Anyone else have this issue besides me?

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing is over the years I have spent a great deal of time learning to shoot with both eyes open, point and shoot. Each handgun I've owned has been a little different of course. Some a little more difficult to get in the grove and some very easy. My P365 is very easy to shoot with both eyes open point and shoot. Same with most every 1911.

I think me learning to shoot like this has something to do with it some too. But that's one of the things I really like about a red dot. Easy to see the dot and shoot with both eyes open. But it does dance around while shooting fast and that I'm not so fond of.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a learning curve……once you get it, they are awesome.

I remember the early days of rifle red dots. They weren’t easily received
Maybe you are right. Most likely if I get the correct setup for me it would be more enjoyable and with good results.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
777 Posts
So far I’ve tried a Burris ff2 and a leupold dpp. I shot them both well. I didn’t like the ff2 because it was very easy to “lose the dot” and the screws and housing gave me some issues. I like the dpp better and I don’t have any complaints about it but it still seems a bit “not for me” at the moment.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have tried them and gotten frustrated with them. Dont have a host pistol currently, but considering a 1911 or on of the Wilson doublestacks and a different dot sight
. I dont know though, looks like full time glasses may be next for me anyway, may just wait and see....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Like you Cuz I purchased and tried it out but just not for me. Maybe I'll try them again some day. I have red dots on my ARs and like them a lot but it's a whole different animal on a pistol. I know my eye sight is not getting better so I might delve into pistol red dots again but no time soon.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Echo what @Bender said. They take time to learn but pay off in dividends. I've never had an optic fail on me in any way that wasn't my own fault.
My Burris ff2 housing and screws both failed. And I had my dpp get washed out by the sun when going from a structure into the open. I really like the dpp but that time that the sun washed me out kind of gave me pause on the pistol dots. And like I said the Burris had 2 separate hard ware failures.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Burris ff2 housing and screws both failed. And I had my dpp get washed out by the sun when going from a structure into the open. I really like the dpp but that time that the sun washed me out kind of gave me pause on the pistol dots. And like I said the Burris had 2 separate hard ware failures.
I've never owned a burris product and have no interest in picking one up. I've owned Vortex, Trijicon, and Holosun. Never liked Leupold because their design isn't as robust as I prefer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you want the most trouble free red dot experience, then you want a direct milled slide for an Acro P2. Not only is it robust and durable (orders of magnitude more than a plate and screws), but it will also help you acquire the dot more easily, compared to open emitter sights.
Just checked that sight out...thats interesting!

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They certainly aren’t for everyone. My need for readers is driving be toward them. Need glasses to shoot steel sights now
I'm in that boat too. I can see the sights but they are a little fuzzy.

Looking like there are more than a few of us. Need a bigger boat. :sneaky:

·
A meat popsicle I am
1,294 Posts
I like 'em on a AR but not a handgun?

I was shooting my M&P M2.0 9mm today and then I started shooting terrible. I thought, what in the heck is goin on. I soon discovered the issue. One of my mounting screws had fallen out and the other one was loose. The gun came with a bunch of plates and screws already loaded with blue Loctite. I think I had removed and reinstalled them at some point for some reason if I remember correctly. That's why they backed out.

So, I just ended up removing the optic and I enjoyed shooting it more without. I've never cared for the co-witness tall sights while looking through the optic. I believe this may be my issue. My AR's with red dots have no iron sights and I like it that way. The sights on this gun and another one in 10mm I sold have the same tall sights and I don't like them with a red dot.

Anyone else have this issue besides me?
Way back in the day Kimber made the 10mm long slide Super Jaguar with an RDS and no sights - I have the MBUS on my ARs - sight em in, lock em down and forget em until the RDS burns out

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I can make a tighter group using a red dot, but can always put rounds on target faster with irons, especially out of a holster.

Tried them multiple times, they're just not for me. At least not on a carry gun.

I did run into some issues with irons though - last range trip, I noticed that my groups at 15yds were suddenly two inches left.... Very nice groups, but very much not on the bullseye. I shoot a few more to make sure I'm not slapping the trigger or pulling my shots.

Finally look down at the gun and notice my rear sight had drifted left with the set screw backed out. 🤦‍♂️

That got some red loctite after being tapped back to center.

I've also recently been putting rounds through a desert eagle and it's amazing how Magnum Research can make a pretty accurate semi-automatic magnum with such incredibly shitty iron sights. Front post is way fatter and higher than it needs to be. Seriously considering putting a dot on that one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don’t like clutter so my red dot guns have no back up sights. I trust them plenty and there are ways to deal with the dot going out should that happen. It’s like anything else, has to practice to get comfortable with them. I have never picked up iron sights well so the dot is a game changer for me.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts