1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Like you Cuz I purchased and tried it out but just not for me. Maybe I'll try them again some day. I have red dots on my ARs and like them a lot but it's a whole different animal on a pistol. I know my eye sight is not getting better so I might delve into pistol red dots again but no time soon.
I am in this camp also..I could have written this post

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm probably going to end up removing my iron sights, buy a mettle mounting plate after I get some more screws.
I would not remove the irons, but that's me. Just don't look them. Also, You really don't want co-witnessed sights. That would mean your dot and your irons are on the same plane. The irons should be as low as possible, while still usable through the glass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would not remove the irons, but that's me. Just don't look them. Also, You really don't want co-witnessed sights. That would mean your dot and your irons are on the same plane. The irons should be as low as possible, while still usable through the glass.
The optic ready models have really tall white dot sights. I'd ditch them myself.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I sent one of my ACWs back to Rob for the rds cut, best thing I’ve done in a while.
That's not the Trijicon RMR plate. Is ACW doing their own custom mounting solution?

I never shot my M&P without the optic until yesterday. The first thing I did after I brought it home was to install the HS507CX2 on it. I've shot maybe 200 rounds tops with the optic mounted before it came loose. And I'm sure it's my fault because I remember taking it off and reinstalling because I wasn't positive that I had the correct plate installed. I did not reapply Loctite and that was my fault and why one of the screws backed out and the other fell out.
By the way, don't use the garbage non-liquid stuff that comes pre-applied to optic screws. I hate it so much. Scrub it off and use your own blue Loctite. I think I've heard of some people using purple but I've never had a problem with blue. I also witness-mark all my screws so I know if they start to back out, but to date that's never happened to me.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That's not the Trijicon RMR plate. Is ACW doing their own custom mounting solution?

By the way, don't use the garbage non-liquid stuff that comes pre-applied to optic screws. I hate it so much. Scrub it off and use your own blue Loctite. I think I've heard of some people using purple but I've never had a problem with blue. I also witness-mark all my screws so I know if they start to back out, but to date that's never happened to me.
I would just add, that I went away from liquid loctite years ago and use the chapstick version. Much easier and many people put too much liquid on the screws, which then gets down into the gun and causes issues.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts

I used the screws that came with both of my RMRcc's that had factory applied threadlocker on them. No issues after several thousand rounds through my Glock 43X's. I used blue Loctite for the RMR on my Glock 17, but went with the factory threadlocker on my RMRcc's because I've seen too many people shear screws that were secured with liquid threadlocker. I haven't changed the battery in my RMR since I mounted it 2 years ago so I guess I'll see what happens when I finally remove the screws.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I’ve never had an issue with factory applied chalky thread locker. I do use witness marks on my screws though. And irons that get paired with dots are blacked out for me. White dots defeat the purpose IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The factory white dot tall sights are great, without the optic.
I have a sight pusher already so I'll be removing them soon. But I know that the void is going to bother me. I wonder if there are blanks I can install.

25 Posts
I have been messing around with red dots the last few years, only Trijicon. Wanted to try them out prior to milling one of my 1911's. I see the benefit, but there are some drawbacks that I have experienced and namely it has been for a lack of a better word's: debris/fogging/obstructions. I haul aggregate in a hopper bottom for work and when I'm at home I am constantly mowing, shredding, some kind of outside work type work at our river bottom. And there have been times when I am in and out of my truck's a/c, the window will fog, not to mention the dust coating everything. On three separate occasions, while working at the river I've drawn my pistol to shoot at hogs, only to find the window obscured. The first was carrying openly on my hip, the last two were from concealment (trying to keep the sight from getting dirty). Would I have any issues "point shooting to defend myself...no. When I am at the river, and I miss an opportunity at those [email protected]$tards...it chaps my a$$ when I don't get a shot off because of obscured site. I don't shoot matches, don't worry about my splits, don't even own a shot timer...irons work just fine for me. When the eyes say otherwise, I'll get them back out!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have been messing around with red dots the last few years, only Trijicon. Wanted to try them out prior to milling one of my 1911's. I see the benefit, but there are some drawbacks that I have experienced and namely it has been for a lack of a better word's: debris/fogging/obstructions. I haul aggregate in a hopper bottom for work and when I'm at home I am constantly mowing, shredding, some kind of outside work type work at our river bottom. And there have been times when I am in and out of my truck's a/c, the window will fog, not to mention the dust coating everything. On three separate occasions, while working at the river I've drawn my pistol to shoot at hogs, only to find the window obscured. The first was carrying openly on my hip, the last two were from concealment (trying to keep the sight from getting dirty). Would I have any issues "point shooting to defend myself...no. When I am at the river, and I miss an opportunity at those [email protected]$tards...it chaps my a$$ when I don't get a shot off because of obscured site. I don't shoot matches, don't worry about my splits, don't even own a shot timer...irons work just fine for me. When the eyes say otherwise, I'll get them back out!
I carry an rmr gun everyday and live on a small farm. Your experience is not unique, but I think it is pretty easy to deal with. Either carry the gun concealed, which solves most of those problems, or switch to a closed emitter like the Acro P2. Fogging is fogging, but on a closed emitter, it is easier to wipe the lens off fast, whether it is fogging or debris. Concealed carry of course takes care of the debris issue (usually), and also helps with the fogging.

·
Dremel jockey
5,677 Posts
I've got a little rubber 'booty' that fits one of my Holosuns.
Buddy gave it to me, I've never used it.....yet.

I am a bit concerned about something (pebble?) getting down into the emitter trench.

If I ever carry a red dot, I'll likely go with a closed emitter.

Reactions: OldCuz

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've considered doing this. How did you mount the RMR? Just go to town on the blue gun with a file?
right now i just filed off the rear sight and screwed the rmr in because we’re forced to use the trijicon rm44 dovetail mount on our Glock 31s.
I’m trying to get new guns approved now and gave the chief a quote for the Glock 45 MOS-5 version which is direct milled for the rmr from the factory. If that gets approved, I will take a dremel to another blue gun and replicate the correct height.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do you use all black sights on your guns without dots?
No I don’t. I prefer a black rear with a bright front, something like the Ameriglo Agents or Trijicon HDs. Dots in the rear make it harder for my eye to focus on the front sight.

I've got a little rubber 'booty' that fits one of my Holosuns.
Buddy gave it to me, I've never used it.....yet.

I am a bit concerned about something (pebble?) getting down into the emitter trench.

If I ever carry a red dot, I'll likely go with a closed emitter.
It’s worth considering but I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. I’ve had a dot on my primary gun since I think 2017 and the only emitter issue I’ve had was water on a DPP. I switched to the RMR because of that and while it wasn’t perfect, I used it in a torrential downpour during a pistol class in Hawaii and I could still perform fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 60 of 75 Posts