1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
If you train enough you can eventually get to the place that you can just point and shoot. It took me a while and a whole bunch of ammo but I eventually got there. Both eyes open too by the way. Once you get it down it's amazing how fast you can get rounds on target. But you really have to spend the time at it. Heck, I've had pistols that I didn't even need sights.

I've often thought about a 1911 Commander naked slide, blacked out with no sights. The voids filled in and dehorned all over and with a DLC coating.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
If you train enough you can eventually get to the place that you can just point and shoot. It took me a while and a whole bunch of ammo but I eventually got there. Both eyes open too by the way. Once you get it down it's amazing how fast you can get rounds on target. But you really have to spend the time at it. Heck, I've had pistols that I didn't even need sights.

I've often thought about a 1911 Commander naked slide, blacked out with no sights. The voids filled in and dehorned all over and with a DLC coating.
And you can still shoot the same way with a red dot mounted on top of your slide.

But some people want to complain about how slow they are with the dot or how shaky they are. The dot doesn’t change how you shoot. It just shows you exactly where the bullet is going to hit when the shot goes off though. The dot is not some mythical or magical thing. It just shows what the gun is doing way better then any one can perceive with iron sights. Do you need that level of accuracy or re assurance with every shot? Probably not. But it’s nice to have when you need it.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
And you can still shoot the same way with a red dot mounted on top of your slide.

But some people want to complain about how slow they are with the dot or how shaky they are. The dot doesn’t change how you shoot. It just shows you exactly where the bullet is going to hit when the shot goes off though. The dot is not some mythical or magical thing. It just shows what the gun is doing way better then any one can perceive with iron sights. Do you need that level of accuracy or re assurance with every shot? Probably not. But it’s nice to have when you need it.
Correct, I can shoot with both eyes open with a red dot and that's why I have one on one of my 300BO pistols. I was doing that with my M&P but just slower.
I feel confident that I can eventually get as quick as I would like with one on a handgun over time. But that will probably be on a range/race gun in the future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
CI firmly believe that choices are GREAT!!! If you've figured out a way to carry a Barrett AIWB - have at it!! For me, I neither compete nor shoot for sport but carry concealed, IWB/AIWB & strictly for self-defense and my live/dry fire drills are focused on that. For years, my EDC was a '69C BHP but a while ago, I got a Girsan Officer model - all black to make it hard to see in case of an accidental exposures. That said - I keep it clean, lean & mean with just its stock sights. But - working 11-11 shifts does pose challenges for locating that black front sight at night. After some research, I went with a green phosphorescent dot on my front blade: phosphorescent because it glows and green because after a charge, it has 4-6 times the glow life of orange or red, and it charges with sun light or a UV light so there's no batteries or tubes to replace.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just FYI, FBI just announced they are moving to Red Dots for all agents. They are collecting and destroying all the Glock 19M’s and buying a version of the 19MOS. The new pistol will incorporate some of the features the FBI required on the 19M (the marksmanship barrel, ambidextrous slide stop, etc), not sure if it will be a whole new model number or just a new version of the 19M. I know the FBI approved two particular red dot models, but sorry can’t remember which ones…

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just FYI, FBI just announced they are moving to Red Dots for all agents. They are collecting and destroying all the Glock 19M’s and buying a version of the 19MOS. The new pistol will incorporate some of the features the FBI required on the 19M (the marksmanship barrel, ambidextrous slide stop, etc), not sure if it will be a whole new model number or just a new version of the 19M. I know the FBI approved two particular red dot models, but sorry can’t remember which ones…
Almost sounds like a typical bureaucratic budget move, as in - if they don't spend the money, they won't get it budgeted next year. Been through that scenario way too many times.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Came across this earlier.

Reactions: HOTCHKIS
61 - 75 of 75 Posts