1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would have it milled?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Have the slide milled for direct mounting of a red dot or a plate system. Here’s my PM 9 milled for the Kimber plate system. Works great!!!!
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Grey
Finger Grey Iron Thumb Trigger

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If you don't want to mill, EGW may have a mount for your firearm/red dot. I use one on my CZ75 SP01 with a Leupold DPP and it works perfectly. Easy installation, only a slight file needed on the mount (aluminum).
https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-red-dot-mounts/mounts-by-firearm-brand/?p=1
If you've never shot/owned a dot pistol the EGW dovetail mount is a great way to ease into Red Dots. They stay put and work without issue. If you decide you don't like the dot you can go back to your iron sights, no harm no foul.
IF you like it and then have the slide milled you only have a 50.00 investment and can probably sell it for 35.00 FWIW

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Burris fast fire also has dovetailed mounts and work pretty good if you don't want to get your slide milled right now and I think there red dots are decent.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The plates that work in the sight dovetail will let you know if you’re onto something. It makes the sight presentation a little higher and harder to align but you will know if it’s going to work before you get it milled.
The problem I have is that I have astigmatism in both eyes. It’s hard to figure out what part of the little bat flying around in there is his body!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you've never shot/owned a dot pistol the EGW dovetail mount is a great way to ease into Red Dots. They stay put and work without issue. If you decide you don't like the dot you can go back to your iron sights, no harm no foul.
IF you like it and then have the slide milled you only have a 50.00 investment and can probably sell it for 35.00 FWIW
Exactly just what I did today. Dropped it all off at the gunsmith so he could do some trigger work at the same time. If I don't like it, back to open sights I'll go.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Exactly just what I did today. Dropped it all off at the gunsmith so he could do some trigger work at the same time. If I don't like it, back to open sights I'll go.
gp, welcome to the forum and good fortune with the red dot!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly was about to start a thread addressing this same issue. To mount or mill.

This is where I was at, same thought philosophy. I've had a red dot on a pistol, Vortex Venom on top of MOS G40/10mm (loved it, not sure why I sold that set up)..So, I tjink I'll love the set up on a 1911, and understand the tighter bore axis alignment , but Not sure I want to commit to a milled slide just yet and being able to go back to "zero" is definitely appealing. I'll get there, for sure..but I'll just dip my toes in mount first. Talkin' ' 'bout one of my 1911 here..not some plastic crazy thing.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I would keep my options open and if trying a red dot, go with the dovetail mount. I would think this technology is going to keep evolving and the sights are going to get smaller, lower, and more practical and eventually these sights mostly will be mounted in a dovetail or similar mount. A couple of years from now, I would not want to realize I machined my best pistol for an obsolete sight mount.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Before I had my Dan Wesson milled I did have an EGW sight cut mount on it. I also bought a Kimber KHX Optic Ready pistol for $800 - I "needed" a back up gun for my Dan Wesson anyway. That Kimber has worked extremely well for me and solidified my desire the have the Wesson milled. No turning back for me - everything except carry guns has a red dot on it and I'm close to getting one of those as well.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I had to go with a bigger dot to get rid of the "bat". The 3.25 and 2.0 dots are to small and bloom to my eyes. The RMR with 6.5 moa dot looks round to me. I don't have to turn the dot up to bright to see it. It works for me but your mileage may very.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before I had my Dan Wesson milled I did have an EGW sight cut mount on it. I also bought a Kimber KHX Optic Ready pistol for $800 - I "needed" a back up gun for my Dan Wesson anyway. That Kimber has worked extremely well for me and solidified my desire the have the Wesson milled. No turning back for me - everything except carry guns has a red dot on it and I'm close to getting one of those as well.
Jeff
Who did the mulling on your dan Wesson? I have a brand new vbob (from the last of the old vbobs) that I am thinking of having milled.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Who did the mulling on your dan Wesson? I have a brand new vbob (from the last of the old vbobs) that I am thinking of having milled.
I had John Vincent at Hallston Custom Machine mill it. John is an excellent gunsmith who builds bullseye pistols. He did a beautiful job, reasonably priced and fast turn around.
Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts