Red Flag Gun Bill Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DR_Diesel, Jun 1, 2019.

1. DR_Diesel

DR_Diesel Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I say it is a travesty of our legal system.

I would like to see the examples it has prevented school shooting and other mass shootings vs the times an innocent person's rights were taken away when they have not committed a crime. Just my opinion, but these same people want to take all our guns, and believe that will stop gun crimes... This is (again, in my opinion) another small step towards gun control. It 'sounds' reasonable until you think of how it could be abused.

What other area of the law do we take the legally owned property of a citizen because they 'might' do something illegal with it? Why do some liquor stores have drive through windows? Why are cars able to exceed the speed limit? No way in a free society can you enforce laws against the potential of it being broken.

3. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    "It's not a permanent confiscation".... Funny I read nothing about the process to regain your rights of ownership and I have a feeling the burden to show ability or right is higher to be restored than it was to have the right removed. I'm with Fred_G, travesty. Bad law.

cghelton, Fred_G, Glock2740 and 7 others like this.
  4. 1LuvGuns

1LuvGuns Incurable..... NRA Lifer

Aug 14, 2012
    Yup, just one disgruntled neighbor or "loved one" and poof! all your collection down the tubes....

Hearsay has now just become credible evidence and will be used against you in a court of law.

Guilty until proven innocent - we've taken several steps backwards. Truly a sad state...

ZoidMeister, C_Hallbert, dash and 9 others like this.
  5. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I will not comply. Period.

6. GeorgeandSugar

GeorgeandSugar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Nope. Violates due process and unreasonable search and seizure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I'd like to know what other 15 States have passed this type of Legislation................There is no way this would pass Constitutional Muster. This type of law would negate all our Constitutional protections to due process not to mention our basic legal precept of "Innocent until PROVEN guilty".. I wouldn't want to be the test case but the first one to go to Court will lead to this and all similar laws being found Unconstitutional. Unfortunately there will be some abuses until that case gets to the Supremes. JMHO.

TR

8. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    The Colorado law is an injustice. It requires the lesser burden of proof from a civil trial to deprive someone of their 2nd Amendment rights ... "The petitioner must establish by a preponderance of the evidence that a person poses a significant risk to self or others ..."
    After that, the burden is on the person deprived of their rights to get their firearms back and establishes a higher burden of proof to that defendant than was required to take his/her firearms away in the first place ..."The respondent can motion the court once during the 364-day ERPO for a hearing to terminate the ERPO. The respondent has the burden of proof at a termination hearing. The court shall terminate the ERPO if the respondent establishes by clear and convincing evidence that he or she no longer poses a significant risk..."

Sounds damn un-American to me...but then again this is from the same Governor who has given away Colorado's sovereignty by dismissing Electoral College votes in favor of popular votes.

9. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2017
  10. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
  11. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Flat out BULLSHIT!!!
    I just sent letter last to my politicians yesterday urging them to not support this crap and for the previously mentioned reasons.

12. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Man, someone knocks on my door at 5am I'm answering with a gun too! No one comes knocking at 5am with good intentions. This is a disgusting shame.

FWoo45, GeorgeandSugar and Glock2740 like this.
  13. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    In addition to what had already been said, it does not take illegal guns off the street nor does it address the root cause of mass shootings which is mental illness.

As for the issue of domestic violence, if you are that mad that you would kill someone you love...see the mental illness above and address this as a knife works as good as a gun...how’s that working out in the UK? While we are discussing domestic violence, why do lesbian couples have a much higher rare of DV than heterosexual counterparts?

And if someone says it for the children or if we could save in life, my retort is always “Oh, so you are for overturning Roe v. Wade”? Usually that ends the conversation like throwing a grenade into a room and closing to door.

Finally, it really put the LEOs in a tough position. Some will follow, some will not...often within the same department. Those same cop live in the same towns as those being served....and have families there. How long before LEOs start leaving departments and they themselves get served?

Another small stat for you....there ate 1.3 million on active duty....and 18.2 million veterans...all of whole swore to protect the Constitution of the US against all enemies, foreign and domestic....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  14. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I asked a person about the “if it only saves one child’s life” thing if they mean all children, or just the ones that survive “women’reproductive rights”. Still waiting on an answer.

15. GeorgeandSugar

GeorgeandSugar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It is exactly this as described below which should be concerning to those so called “do-gooders” running around dictating what is and is not appropriate behavior. Another amateur mental health expert; just what we need.

“Davis said she did not know who had sought the protective order against Willis. (A busy body!)

But Michele Willis, the victim’s niece, said this was a case of “family being family,” reports (Some family, no thanks)

The Baltimore Sun:

She said one of her aunts requested the protective order to temporarily remove Willis’ guns. (Perhaps a detailed explanation and rational is in order?)

Michele Willis said she had grown up in the house and had been there Sunday night to move out her son, who had been helping to care for her grandmother.

She said her uncle “likes to speak his mind,” (So speaking your mind is deemed a threat?) but she described him as harmless.

“I’m just dumbfounded right now,” she said. “My uncle wouldn’t hurt anybody.” (No kidding!)

Willis said the officers should have continued to negotiate with her uncle. (Makes you wonder what the training is when serving one of these warrants?)

“They didn’t need to do what they did,” she said. (Exactly why these warrants are unconstitutional!)

Police Chief Timothy Altomare said the fatal shooting was a sign that the law is needed: (Bullsh*t!)

“If you look at this morning’s outcome, it’s tough for us to say ‘Well, what did we prevent?’ ” (Obvious dumbass!) he said. “Because we don’t know what we prevented or could’ve prevented. What would’ve happened if we didn’t go there at 5 a.m.?” (Crap, if someone came knocking at 5am, I might be a tad suspicious and nervous)

In CO, mental health was not addressed at all in this new law. It was all about gun confiscation. All we hear is we need more mental health funding. So much for mental health funding and access.

Whether or not, Mr. Willis was a “real threat” we will not know.

When enough motorists are killed by impaired weed smokers, I wonder if the state will rescind the legal marijuana? I doubt it. Revenue always trumps lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    We just had this stuff passed in NY not too long ago. It completely violates process. What if you have a nosey aunt who thinks she knows better then you?

It's dumb and a complete violation. Sadly you will see more and more of these laws appear. Since to the common man, they seem like a good idea.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    And the common man has little or no recourse.

18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Let me start by saying that these laws are unconstitutional and complete bullshit. However living in komifornia an all too real part of life. Just like no knock warrants. See the recent debacle in Houston. Really makes a person wary of who you associate with. While I seriously doubt that she would, my libtard sister and her unemployable husband or a vindictive ex could easily hit me with one of these just to make me suffer. Take away irreplaceable (here at least) vintage firearms. Combine that with folks impersonating police to raid drug houses and you have a perfect storm for a bad headline. My other sister's house was busted into by folks dressed as and yelling about being cops (according to the neighbors) years ago. I got there probably a half hour before the actual police. Perps were gone by then and never caught. Cops said that the house had been broken into several times because the previous tenants were weed growers. If someone kicks in my door in the middle of the night and shoots my dog you can bet I'm coming out guns blazing. With a rifle. These policies are not safe for our police, whom I support, or the public. Bad deal all around.

GeorgeandSugar and livinthelife like this.
  19. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Red flag laws are a good reason to own a couple of Glocks. When the police storm your house, you leave the Glocks out and hide the 1911's.

:grin:

Jokes aside, these Red Flag laws violate due process, as others have already pointed out. I agree that there are some people who should not have guns. But your nosy neighbor, or overbearing mother in law, should not have the sole power to decide this.

GeorgeandSugar and FWoo45 like this.
  20. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    If some A-Hole abuses this law , does it for some vindictive reason . Sue their ass off . Being able to make an unsubstantiated claim and deprive someone of their rights and property is pure BS . And , divorce attorneys do it daily . That's who'll use this unconstitutional piece of crap the most .

GeorgeandSugar and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted