1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering the sights for my norinco 1911 and trying to decide on a red or green front. It will be a novak mega dot front and a 10-8 retro nm rear. It's for woods use, but will obviously be shot on a square range mostly. So suggestions?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a green one. I've got red on a few others so I'm thinking about changing it up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I've seen that kind of green in the woods, but I kind of agree. I'm thinking with the actual dot being bigger, it'll be brighter and easier to pick up?

·
I keeed I keeed.....
2,172 Posts
I don't think I've seen that kind of green in the woods, but I kind of agree. I'm thinking with the actual dot being bigger, it'll be brighter and easier to pick up?

New leaves are almost neon around here. Some ferns are also very bright green....but again its up to you. For me, the red would 'pop' more, and regardless of what I was using it for, I would personally stick with the red fiber. my eyes pick it up better than the green.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
If the "science" behind it does anything for you, that data concludes green is picked up by the human eye faster and easier.
Both red and green seem pretty bright to me --- that is in well lit areas. I'm not a fiber optic guy, preferring a gold bead front and all black rear, for a primarily range type pistol. For a dedicated carry piece, I still use tritium.
I do have a fiber optic on an older Colt m1991A1 and the front is green. Due to my having it in stock at time of the build so thats what I used.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went ahead and ordered a red one. Should be plenty bright.

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
Green is faster and brighter to my eye.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got red on some of my other guns and it works well enough. If I don't like it I'll order the green.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I've got red on some of my other guns and it works well enough. If I don't like it I'll order the green.

I have a red Novak on my 5" Springfield and installed a Dawson on my EMP. The Dawson sight comes with a red installed and a red and green as a spair. I may have to try the green at some point. But I'm most used to red. Also I shooting a Vortex scope with a red reticle on my AR so red just seems like a common color to look for for me.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
In low light red loses it's glow sooner. Most archery sights, use a combo green, yellow, red, often in that order and its of no accident. Most archery shoots are taken in lower light, early morning or late evening (dusk). The green shines brighter longer. I know that's a different scenario, however I think its worth mentioning. The green will not blend in in the woods. You'll pick up fast on the green fiber front sight. Its what these bow hunting eyes of mine are trained for.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In low light red loses it's glow sooner. Most archery sights, use a combo green, yellow, red, often in that order and its of no accident. Most archery shoots are taken in lower light, early morning or late evening (dusk). The green shines brighter longer. I know that's a different scenario, however I think its worth mentioning. The green will not blend in in the woods. You'll pick up fast on the green fiber front sight. Its what these bow hunting eyes of mine are trained for.
Hadn't even thought of that situation! I shoot my bow 3 times a week. Unfortunately I've already paid and it shipped. Oh well, guess I need to start looking for another 1911!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have some red, some green, but my spare fibre is all green.
I tried an amber insert which was a real bust and even Colt has dropped the blue insert marketing scheme.

It's easy to change. Cheap, too, if you don't buy it from the sight company.
$6 a meter for 1.5mm and sent first class so the postage doesn't eat you up. That will let you refresh sights for the whole club. Available in mixed color packages if you have trouble making up your mind.
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Archery.htm

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now to figure out the diameter of the fiber so I can order some green! Novak wants $5 for 4 pieces.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
They're easy enough to switch out and see what you prefer. I was shooting red and switched one out for green on a whim, and have never looked back. It's green on all of my guns (that I actually shoot) from here on out. But look at all the responses from people who prefer red. It must come down to individual preference, and it only takes a minute and a dollar, roughly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts