close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red vs. Blue or Hornady vs. Dillon

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Quack, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    which one and why?

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I've never had a Hornady but my Dillon SDB has be great. I like that it comes set up from the factory with a set of dies dialed in.

3. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Never used a blue. The red LNL AP press is pretty sweet. I love it, just like anything they will have there +&-'s. I can a give +1 for the hornady.

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Hmm, I wish I had more experience to offer, but here's my take:

I have the Dillon beam scale, and no Hornady products. Dillon's quality is absolutely fantastic, there warranty is the best in the business by far. It's hard to find or run into a problem with their products, but if you do they will fix and replace it no questions asked.

Hornady is known to have problems with the LnL, that's been proven many many times. That said, for just a little more you can get a 550 or 650 from Dillon. Why people go with the LnL I will never understand.

I'm using a Lee Classic Turret right now and I like it a lot, it's extremely cheap and works well, but without a doubt my next press will be a Dillon 650 with casefeeder.

5. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Mercedes-Benz is known to have transmission problems also, and in SL550's to boot (personal experience). I've got the "red" one and I love it. Cranked out 1500 rounds last weekend in a few hours. Hornady's CS is also top notch as I've paid zero for expanders, springs, and other goodies that they put in the mail gratis. I have a feeling that if I'd bought a Dillon, I'd be saying IT was the best. Once the bugs, if any, are worked out, and they put out ammo, then they're all good. I'm curious what the "known problems" are with the LNL. They're not known by me. I'm one of the "people" who went with LNL, so I guess I'll never be understood either!

tw

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Dillon Precision is the lead dog.

Hornady does a good job of imitating though, just compare the LNL case feeder to Dillon's.

Probably comes down to a choice between innovative engineering, and reverse engineering. :biggrin1:

7. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Got both machines.
    HDY works borderline OK. Slow and unreliable. The powder measure is very inconsistent. The primer seater is also unreliable, and does not seat primers fully. I upgraded mine myself over time. Now it makes good ammo, but I only use it for "slow" reloadning in calibers I shoot now and then.
    Tried years ago to to help HDY with commen sense good advices, but they refused to listen. That's what happens, when companies are rich already...a little sad.
    The Dillon products would be my first and only choice today.
    That's just the buttom line.

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Got both machines.
    HDY works borderline OK. Slow and unreliable. The powder measure is very inconsistent. The primer seater is also unreliable, and does not seat primers fully. I upgraded mine myself over time. Now it makes good ammo, but I only use it for "slow" reloadning in calibers I shoot now and then.
    Tried years ago to to help HDY with commen sense good advices, but they refused to listen. That's what happens, when companies are rich already...a little sad.
    The Dillon products would be my first and only choice today.
    That's just the buttom line.

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Grainfed, not to pick on you but you can read the Brian Enos forums and the GT reloading forum about the problems with the LnL. Not all of them are bad, but it seems like quite a bit need a good amount of "tuning" to get them to work...and even sometimes they just won't (Ask Steve [C4W] on GT).

The bottom line is like Jess said. Dillon is the best in the business. Best quality and best warranty, and best customer satisfaction. Like I said I like my LCT for what it does (a cheap starter press) but once I move up, it's Dillon everything.

10. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I do see your point with the issues that some have had pertaining to the posts over on Enos' site. I've read them all many times attempting to offer any help in addition to being quite curious about any LNL problem. I think the LNL might have been designed with more simplicity in mind while at the same time manufactured with economy in mind at the same time. The Dillon, which I have never seen in person, LOOKS more substantial and made with more beef. I'm obviously speaking from an empirical stand and possibly have been "lucky" that mine continues to perform well with no issues. My casefeeder could have had some better design features as cases will sometimes hang up while attempting to drop through the window and down into the tube. The shell plate spring does eventually get a kink and needs replacing. I have the bullet feeder still in the box and when time permits I'll have it installed and see how it goes. Perhaps the only way for me to be convinced that "BLUE" is the way to go is to buy one and try it out. A good friend bought a new Baer Concept VIII. Biggest piece of crap, IMO, to have ever come out of the Baer shop. Six months later it finally runs fine having been "madeover" at Baer twice. My point is that guns, reloading presses, cars, even prescription drugs, all have issues and give us problems. I guess the "best" ones give us the "least amount" of headaches.

tw

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Yup. Why do some people hate Kimber and others love Kimber? Same thing really...which 1911 is best? None of them.

12. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
  13. rodinal220

rodinal220 New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I do not own nor have I used the Hornady LNL. I have used the Dillon 450/550 since the mid eighties. My Dillon machines have loaded countless rounds and have proven to be extremely reliable and easy to use. Both machines have not broken a part to date but could probably use an overhaul with new springs and such. Dillon's customer service is legendary as is the No-BS-Guarantee.I'm on team blue.

14. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I always thought it depended on what state you lived in...

generosity0512map.gif

claire

15. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Dillon is in a league of their own! In my experience, 650 for handgun loads, 1050 for rifle.

16. Anderson3754

Anderson3754 New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I have 2 Dillon 450's, and 2 550's, really like them alot, and I prefer the manual indexing. I have run the Hornady Lock n Load and it was a nice machine works fine.

The Hornady seems to be just alittle more temperamental with initial setup. If your only going to own just one machine I don't think it really matters which one you own.
    If I had to do it all over again I would still go Blue. I'm not one to change calibers, so my machines are setup for specific calibers and they just stay that way.
    Early this summer I almost bought a LNL but I have so much support equipment for Dillon's it just wouldn't make sense.

Hope it helps

17. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I'm Blue and have been since the early 90's. I have never used the RED, Green or any other color. I am open to it though. As soon as my Dillon RL550B is beyond repair, I'll look into it.
    Funny thing is that it rarely breaks and when it does Dillon sends me the repair or replacement parts for free. Hmmmm. Yep, I'm Blue.

18. wrx04

wrx04 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Dillon FTW! I have not used an LNL, but i have a 550b, and it is awesome. Outstanding quality, and havent had a single problem. I will be buying a 650 w/ casefeeder in the future.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted