1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. mine and it's first post on any site.. I'm trying to determine if this 45 has been refinished. tight action. Acquired, as is, in the 1980's. I have the Colt born on certificate. ..Imo... it presents too new to be original finish ..pics enclosed.. have more if needed..thx

Attachments

· Registered
403 Posts
My guess would be NOT refinished, however it is important to add that I'm an IDIOT and I have no idea. :ROFLMAO:

Most guns that are refinished lose sharpness in the lettering, and you have had this in your care since the 1980's, both of these items are certainly strong arguments against it's having been refinished.

There are experts for this sort of thing but you'd have to put the pistol in their hands, I don't think pictures are going to get it done and as cool as your pistol certainly is... your photography skills have some work to do. Please don't be offended... my photography skills are no better.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess would be NOT refinished, however it is important to add that I'm an IDIOT and I have no idea. :ROFLMAO:

Most guns that are refinished lose sharpness in the lettering, and you have had this in your care since the 1980's, both of these items are certainly strong arguments against it's having been refinished.

There are experts for this sort of thing but you'd have to put the pistol in their hands, I don't think pictures are going to get it done and as cool as your pistol certainly is... your photography skills have some work to do. Please don't be offended... my photography skills are no better.
Thanks for the reply..its been in 2 sets of hands.. an old school gunsmith looked at it closely and said it was original..another guy who collects said it was refinished but he didnt look at it closer than arms length. These contrary opinions prompted this post. It has a gloss that looks, in my unknowing estimation, too new.

· Registered
90 Posts
On a 1911 with the original finish there will be a change in the polish marks beginning just below the area where the trigger guard meets the receiver. It looks like a shadow as you can see here. This is usually lost during a refinish. Also, on this 1911 you can see the contour of the grip safety. Hope this helps.
Wood Metal Fashion accessory Rectangle Composite material

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a 1911 with the original finish there will be a change in the polish marks beginning just below the area where the trigger guard meets the receiver. It looks like a shadow as you can see here. This is usually lost during a refinish. Also, on this 1911 you can see the contour of the grip safety. Hope this helps.
View attachment 1184523
Good stuff..even the hammer profile looked suspect as well when compared to pictures of originals. Someone took time to give it a "very refinished", ( see above) look. They didn't bugger all the edges. The vintage magazine has an S on it's little foot. I always wanted a military 45..it came to me by freely giving.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts