1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to refinish this MK9. I am looking for a gunsmith with a good reputation, attention to deal, and that puts forth the proper effort for preparatory work. Not looking for the cheapest out there and I know you guys are the best to ask.

I looking for a Black or Grey/Black finish and am considering Cerakote Elite, nitride, or DLC.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I don't recomend Nitriding (or Melonite). It's a very high temperature process that, if not done exactly right, can cause dimensional distortions and/or result in surface material becoming brittle and chipping off. I know because it happened to one of my 1911's... twice.

Cerokote can chip off. On the other hand, since it's not permanent (like Nitriding), it can be redone.

I hear great things about DLC, but I don't have any experience with it.

I think @Steve Owens has connections with a company that does DLC.

I think most smiths out source their DLC and Melonite finishing. Cerokote, blue, and parkerize finishing are sometimes done in-house.

Good luck!

Reactions: isialk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
Thanks, i was and am a bit worried about any for of nirtocarborizing

mike, thanks for the photo inlay!
Reach out to me I'll fix ya right up. Number is on my website, or you can pm me here for more info.. please leave a msg if I don't answer due to all the solicitors I have to screen my calls.

my website is at:

Integrityarmscustoms.com

Thanks for the plug Ben..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.