Reliability Package

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 50GI-Jess, Nov 17, 2011.

1. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Open question!
    In your guy's opinion, would it be beneficial for a 1911 custom shop to start offering a 1911 reliability package ?

Lets say something like $ 175 including a new WC 8-shot magazine, working on the existing parts.

Or $ 225 including the mag and extractor w/firing pin stop.

The basic package would include work on : Extractor, ramp, throat, chamber depth, breechface, F.P.hole deburr, ejector adjustments if needed (replacement requires refinish exept SS ).

2. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Yeah it seems smart. If you can viably do it for 175 or 225. Gives customers options. The more things a customer has the option to buy the more chance he will choose one.

3. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    I offer it on my list for $125, but it doesn't include a new magazine, extractor, and firing pin stop.

4. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I fully expect a "semi-custom" 1911, like Guncrafter, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc..., to come standard with those kinds of things done. At the price range they are in, I feel I have already paid for that attention to the function of the gun. For me to pay the prices that those guns cost, then be asked to pay another $200+/- for reliability, would be an insult to me, as the buyer.

5. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    Im not the type to send a semi custom to a gun shop, it's more of a heres my milspec make it run.

6. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I got something like this done. A package that included ramp and barrel throat, extractor and breech face, and lower and flare ejection port. Cost 145.00. Got it with trigger work for a 250.00 package.

Since the the pistol has run like a champ, except for an occasional FTRTB, which I attribute to out of spec reloads. A Glock choked on them from time to time, too.

7. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    @Glock 2740,
    Well, I'm talking semi-custom look a likes, and entry level $400 to app.600 type guns. The typical 1911 guns that folks on all the forums complain about not working right. So no! of course not true custom guns.
    By the way ! Wasn't it the late Mr. Cooper who said something like "The true beauty of a 45 is on the inside"

8. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    Amen to Mr cooper. I keep forgetting to read up on him. I always say reliability, accuracy and the rest are aesthetics.

9. TexasLeo

TexasLeo Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Absolutely...let me know when you start.

10. Pyrenean

Pyrenean New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    A reliability package for entry levels might go over really well. I have an entry level gun. Being a tinkerer, I have spent a lot of time fussing with it to get things running right. I've learned a lot about the innards of my 1911 and about what I want in my next one - which, BTW, I hope will start its journey down this way soon - assuming you all in Huntsville are not planning on a lengthy winter vacation;)

11. Glock2740

Aug 16, 2011
    Whew! I was hoping that you were talking about the lower tier 1911's. :grin: I agree with Mr. Cooper, as I don't see the GC, Wilson, Baer... etc. as "pretty" guns, as much as I value and appreciate the detail to fitting, function and overall quality. And not kissing ass, but my Guncrafter guns are dripping and oozing with quality and amazing perfomance. Keep it up guys. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  12. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I remember when Hilton Yam used to do a reliability package. It was about the best thing going. I remember it as more expensive, but outstanding. I wish more smiths did those.

13. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011

For those types of guns,I'd say your right on the money! :thumb:
    The money your talking about would be well spent.

DAT85

14. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I agree.....A reliability package out of Guncrafter would be just that....RELIABLE. I happen to know for a fact the "perfectionist" mentality that exists in that shop. They won't try to sell you something you don't need, but if they were to tell you need something to make the pistol more reliable, you better take their advice. A very talented shop over there......My personal favorite.....but y'all already know that. :thumb:

15. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    I think you should offer that package on a 9mm CCO !!

16. Glock2740

Aug 16, 2011
    :deadhorse: :tongueout: :rofl2:

17. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Well, the squeaky wheel gets the oil !!!:tongue:

18. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Mine sure works properly.

19. Glock2740

Aug 16, 2011
    Same here. :nod: :thumb:

20. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so, a Wilson magazine, some trigger work, some extra attention here and there, i think i'll pass. my SIG has been more than i ever expected. however, if i pick up a cheap-o Armscor, i'll definately consider

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted