1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've become a reloading addict as much as a 1911 addict, my AR habit is even worse.

I've been reloading for my ARs for about 4 years and only very recently got into reloading for my handguns, in particular my DW Silverback 10mm so I can afford to shoot the thing.

Until last week the only pistol powder I had was 4lbs of Vhitavuori N340 and while a very clean, consistent and great metering powder the most performance I could get out of a 180gr bullet was about 1050 max, and that was pushing it to .4gr over their published max and since I dont have pressure testing equipment I decided to not push it any further and just buy 4lbs of H800X, 3lbs of Accurate #9 and 1lb of Ramshot Silhouette. I also bought 3k Winchester Large Pistol Primers, 250 200gr Nosler HPs, and my guy on GB told me he had a small coveted stash of 200 pulled 200gr Federal HSTs SCORE!! Oh, and I bought 500 new Starline 10mm cases. All set.

Over the weekend, since I just happen to have a little extra free time lately I loaded 25 of the HSTs over the A#9 starting at 12.0gr and going up in .3gr increments continued up to 13.2gr, 5 groups of 5 each, seated to 1.260". The Accurate #9 seems to be a very popular powder for 10mm so I was hoping to luck into a magic load for my Silverback using the least possible number of the HSTs keeping the rest to load as keepers. Well, the Reloading God smiled on me, the 12.9gr load is just a hammer, and at 25yards showed me a 1.5" cluster off of a bag, and a just perfect POA/POI. The numbers were very impressive too, 1172fps, ES-9fps and SD-4fps. To me at least, those are some happy numbers. I'll say though, that load has some bark! Man, factory loads in 10mm are nothing, I really felt like I had a big bad 10mm in my hands. Factory stuff, to me, feels like a 45 but a full house load is so much more. The A#9 showed good accuracy across the board, and the numbers were all always in the single digits or in the low teens. I am impressed. Ejection was no different than with any other loads I've shot through it, at about 2 O'clock and about 10' away. There was no bulge in the cases, something I was worrying about due to the Silverback having a ramped barrel and leaving just a smidge of the case unsupported. Now, I did have flattened primers BUT the primers were flattened on ever single loading I shot today and that is something I wanted to ask yall about.

All of my pistol reloading so far has been with Federal 105M primers, those are the Large Pistol Match primers and I dont remember seeing this with those as much, some flattening but not as bad. And, I noticed when priming the cases, which I do by hand, the WLPs felt very soft and were even deformed by the priming tool rod no matter how gentle I tried to be. So, are Winchester primers known to have a softer cup than other primers?

I know, no pics so it's all lies! I really had a great day at the range, until everybody else started showing up and walking downrange to hang targets while people are shooting. So, I decided it was time to make that 45 minute drive back home.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Sniffing case lube again?
I am addicted to reloading and i only have 6000 small primers left!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have a real old can of hornady lubes that has mellowed a bit over the years and it produces a very mellow euphoric wave that washes over me like a warm Puerto Rican wave. It's just wonderful.

I guess I should add that the DW Silverback performed flawlessly. This was actually the very first time I had fired hollowpoints in it to any extent. I did fire 8 rounds of Underwood through it awhile back but that was it. Those HSTs look like friggin coffee cups and I was very curious how the gun would cycle them but it did fine.

I really like my DWs, they're the most upper end 1911s I own. So far I just cant see how I could have paid for more performance. Yeah, I could have bought more aesthetics or more workmanship but performance, I just cant get there from here. I've shot well over 2k through my Valor 45acp and coming up on 800 in the SB and other than a few failures of the slide to go fully into battery in the Valor during the first 100 rounds, I've not had any issues with either of them. Only mods I've made to the SB are fitting a medium Wilson trigger and installing a heavier 24lb recoil spring and a heavier mainspring, the Valor, nothing, though I would LOVE to change out the sights on the Valor, I absolutely loath the sights DW used on those. They put the worst sights they could find on the best pistol they could build. Makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I love Dan Wessons and use a Guardian in 38 Super in my carry rotation
I am willing to bet 99% of people who carry a gun never tried to see if it functions with their ammo.

Reactions: Dwe
1 - 6 of 6 Posts