1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Berry’s 135gr for IDPA and USPSA competition. But thought I would start use coated bullets for practice and range. I think I have narrowed it down to Bayoo Bullets, Missouri Bullets and Black Bullets Intl.. Are there any opinions on these for 9mm. They all three seem like quality products but thought I would inquire.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,891 Posts
I personally have tried the black bullets and didn't care for them myself in weighing them there were some inconsistencies and the coating was questionable from one to another.. I still have a large bowl of them I will probably never ever use. Also didn't care for the accuracy in a gun known to be pretty accurate was getting some pretty erratic results. I won't say I wasn't doing something wrong, as I am not a master reloader by any means lol, but personally they just weren't for me. I have found RMR bullets to be reasonably priced in bulk and buy brass coated there from time to time on sale that have rivaled the cost of coated bullets I've seen.. On sale that is.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally have tried the black bullets and didn't care for them myself in weighing them there were some inconsistencies and the coating was questionable from one to another.. I still have a large bowl of them I will probably never ever use. Also didn't care for the accuracy in a gun known to be pretty accurate was getting some pretty erratic results. I won't say I wasn't doing something wrong, as I am not a master reloader by any means lol, but personally they just weren't for me. I have found RMR bullets to be reasonably priced in bulk and buy brass coated there from time to time on sale that have rivaled the cost of coated bullets I've seen.. On sale that is.
Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Of the three mentioned, I've shot thousands of Missouri Bullet Co coated cast bullets. I'm now primarily shooting SNS Casting coated bullets and go back to MBC for a shape or weight that may not be offered by SNS, which isn't too often.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I also tried Black Bullets...didnt like them...some inconsistencies, and smoky...

Best coated i found to be extremely accurate: IBEJIHEADS, SNS casting, and Bayou. Any of those 3 are superb, buy whichever is in your budget...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget Acme Bullets.

I've used both Bayou and Acme for 38/357, 9mm, and 44. Both are GTG; but I slightly prefer Acme. They seem to have a more consistent coating to me. Could just be my imagination.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of the three mentioned, I've shot thousands of Missouri Bullet Co coated cast bullets. I'm now primarily shooting SNS Casting coated bullets and go back to MBC for a shape or weight that may not be offered by SNS, which isn't too often.
Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zero Bullets. Any time I have used plated or coated bullets I eventually got an out of spec bunch. No thanks. Been using Zeros for several years now with zero issues.
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,060 Posts
I’ve shot 12,000+ Bayou in 9 and about half that in 45. Have had excellent results with all my projectiles from them.

Reactions: gps man

·
Angry Infidel
509 Posts
Personally I thought MBCs alloy was a little soft but for that a good product and had fun with reduced loads for .40 smith.

Unless I am casting my own, my go to is Berrys plated. Plenty of weights and profiles to choose from and I have never had an issue with weight discrepancies.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/

Good Luck!

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
www.thebluebullets.com

High quality bullets at a great price. They give discounts to forum members. Just email them for the code.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Zero Bullets. Any time I have used plated or coated bullets I eventually got an out of spec bunch. No thanks. Been using Zeros for several years now with zero issues.
Yup...I use Zero brand exclusively for my .40 FMJ reloads....have 19,000 still on hand....LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts