1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 550C on the way from Dillon. What is your go to powder or load for 45 acp? I see a lot like Tightgroup, Clays or Win 231, I can get these local to me. I can also get CCI or Federal primers, is one better than other?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Win 231 or HP38 for powder. I use Winchester or Remington primers as they are usually the cheapest in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I load most non-magnum pistol ammo with HP38 (= W231) with Bullseye for powder puff loads.
I am at present using mostly Winchester primers except Federals for lightly sprung DA revolvers. I have used CCI and they are ok with good hits.
I had one batch of Remington Small Pistol that was not satisfactory, I will not try more if I can get anything else.
Wolf brand was not very good either.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Full power or target loads? Target loads Titegroup or Clays, full power 231 or Unique. There are a lot of other powders that will work just as well. As for primers Fed, CCI or Rem. I had trouble seating the last WLPs I used so I'm not using Win again.
At the moment I'm using WST powder but others are just as good for target loads. Bullseye and the ball powders meter thru the measure better than the flake powders. The WST is a ball as are Titegroup and 231/HP38.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 550C on the way from Dillon. What is your go to powder or load for 45 acp? I see a lot like Tightgroup, Clays or Win 231, I can get these local to me. I can also get CCI or Federal primers, is one better than other?
For the few 45 Autos I have or have had, for target loads, Bullseye has proven to be consistently the most accurate powder and recoil is very soft. The only powder I still plan to try someday is VV but I can’t get it locally.
Good luck!

·
born in the wrong century
5,069 Posts

Congrats on some nice gear !!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
231/hp38 + win LP. I still load 45acp on a 40 year old square deal. When I started back then Dillon advised to stay clear of CCI because the SD had trouble seating them. I load 223 and 6.5 Grendel on a 550 and I use rem primers only.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Unique is the goto powder for almost all pistol calibers. I go thru lots of it each year for .45ACP.

Reactions: Genes 1911

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ive been using Bullseye and CCI for years. The combination seems to be consistant, and i can use them in all of my pistol calibers. Only draw back is that Bullseye is a little dirty. If you shoot a lot of it during a session, ive heard you have cycling issues.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lots of good suggestions above. Your barrel, bullets and technique will determine which components will "work" best for your intended use.

Enjoy all the nuances of reloading. The combinations are what makes it compelling, fun and worth the effort!

Smiles,

·
Registered
686 Posts
I’m not sure about the 550 but the Dillon 650 has been known to detonate primers — usually means the whole tube lights off — the one thing in common when this happens — federal primers

Federal primers are a little softer than the rest — this is why the revolver guys like them with modified guns — no light strikes

As a new guy with no particular need for federal primers — go CCI

In my 30 years of reloading I have never used anything but CCI — NEVER has a properly seated primer fail to go bang

As for powder, I use Promo in everything I can including .45acp — 4.2 grns over a CCI 200 primer pushing a 200 grn ibeji semi wadcutter — remember this is a forum, this load is what works for me — you need to work up your own recipe and work up slowly — don’t just take what works for someone else and run with it — work your way up using published, tested data

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I'm new to reloading so don't listen to me. I've been using win primers, titegroup and Montana gold 230 gr FMJ's. So good so far. One thing that I learned that was pretty eye opening was to use my reloading manual for fireplace tinder. Use the data published on the powder company's website. Duh. Bonehead me didn't think of that. Surprised at the difference.

Don't worry about primer feed tube detonation. It was only a very rare issue with the 650 feed system. They went back to they 550 style primer feed for the 750 to alleviate the issue. Still always remember to wear safety glasses, gloves and whatever other safety equipment you find appropriate while loading. Also, stick to lite beers for an adult beverage to keep you hydrated during longer loading sessions. No hot rod IPA's or hard booze. Don't want to have any accidents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you look at USPSA/IPSC shooters, they use a lot of different powders for .45 ACP. Win 231/Hodgdon HP38 are always high on the list, with Win 244 (replacement for 231, redesigned for coated bullet use) gaining. The lastest issue of IPSC (formerly FRONT SIGHT), has a list of what all the shooters used, holsters, mag pouches, ammo, etc., etc., etc. The thing that interested me most was Dillon was by FAR the most popular press with up to 93% (Lee didn't even get a [dis]honorable mention) with LOADER7 (hope that is right) getting as much as 7%. Of course there are a BUNCH of different classes, but Dillon walked away with the most presses in each class, then LOADER 7 and Hornady, etc. Winchester primers were the most popular in all classes too and walked off with it. This is a change from the last few years when CCI and Federal were one and two, with Win in 3rd place. Federal has softer primer cups so some revolver shooters and light hammer/hammer spring shooters like them better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use Bullseye for target loads and BE86 for full power loads, as to primers I have used most of the major brands and they all work.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
Win 231 or HP38 for powder. I use Winchester or Remington primers as they are usually the cheapest in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. We had the "which powder is better" decades ago. 231 came out on top, bullseye just behind it. But 231 is a lot more forgiving about pressure. Several friends have production Dillon set ups. They don't like Titegroup with the Dillons, but it works fine on Stars.

I've been primarily using 231 since the 70s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CCI small pistol primers. Ditto......the Federals are a bit soft.

I have a friend who had them light off in his Dillon. He said when the smoke cleared and he stopped the ringing in his ears. He shut down reloading for the evening...

Also, VV320 is a really good metering and clean powder.

So many choices and formulas....That’s what makes it so much fun.
Just be SAFE.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Maybe I'm a pragmatist, maybe I'm weird...I don't use Federal primers because of the huge boxes. In order of packaging density (high to low) is Remington, CCI and Winchester, Federal.

I've used a few cases each of Remington, and CCI for pistol loads. Haven't had trouble with any of them with 17# mainsprings in my 1911s and haven't detonated any in my 550b. The reputation for CCI is that they're the thickest/hardest of the bunch. Federal the softest. Remington and Winchester in the middle.

I really like the Remington 7 1/2 in my SRP application (223) so I'm happy to stick with the brand for SPP and LPP. I stock up when I can find them. I wouldn't hesitate to use Winchester for pistol loads if I couldn't find Remington.

Check availability at your local stores and typical online sources. If brand X primers or powders isn't carried or is frequently out of stock at the places I shop, it's not my first choice for load development. I'm sure my loads would be somewhat cleaner with VV powders, but there are few places I can buy them, so I'm not eager to try.

Regarding Winchester 231: I'm using WST in most applications where 231 is suitable. For light loads, I've found a handfull of other shooters that have done the same.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
I'm new to reloading so don't listen to me. I've been using win primers, titegroup and Montana gold 230 gr FMJ's. So good so far. One thing that I learned that was pretty eye opening was to use my reloading manual for fireplace tinder. Use the data published on the powder company's website. Duh. Bonehead me didn't think of that. Surprised at the difference.

Don't worry about primer feed tube detonation. It was only a very rare issue with the 650 feed system. They went back to they 550 style primer feed for the 750 to alleviate the issue. Still always remember to wear safety glasses, gloves and whatever other safety equipment you find appropriate while loading. Also, stick to lite beers for an adult beverage to keep you hydrated during longer loading sessions. No hot rod IPA's or hard booze. Don't want to have any accidents.
Always remember to clean your primer tubes periodically.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts