1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just beginning to reload. I care for my 95 yo mother in her home so the space I use inside the house is minimal but sufficient. I want to begin reloading, I shoot almost 1000 9mm/month and save the brass. Lord, I've got a ton of empty one shot brass.

My garage is virtually empty and would be perfect for reloading. The trouble is there is not heat in there and in the Philly area, it can get pretty chilly. I'm not going to reload when it's below 40F, but let's say "MY RELOADING" temperatures vary between 40 and 85 degrees.

Metal expands, contracts. Within this temperature parameter will I have to be making adjustments say for crimping or otherwise? Factory cartridges certainly can withstand those variations and a lot more but I'm thinking on the assembling side.

Your thoughts? Thank you!

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Metal expands, contracts. Within this temperature parameter will I have to be making adjustments say for crimping or otherwise?
Between 40 & 85 degrees not a problem.
Brass seems to have a really wide range of temps it can be used in.

Have you thought about the reloading equipment you will use?

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fairly local gun dealer/smith and reloader. They give a 4 hour course using the Dillon 550. He broke it down completely and we two students reassembled the thing. Then we esch ran about a dozen cartridges each. Prior to moving to PA to care for my mom, I lived about 1/4 mile from the Dillon factory in Scottsdale, AZ so I guess Id get the 550. (It may be a 550B) I'm too lazy to look it up. Just came back from shootin' another 150 rounds and want a cold one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When I started reloading over 50 years ago I was taught by a neighbor that had a single stage set up in a shed attached to his barn. He would let me store my components in his cupboard and never locked the shed. I just walked to his place and reloaded when I needed to. There was a pot belly stove in the shed but it took so much time to fire up the stove and get the shed heated I rarely used the stove. I reloaded many very accurate rounds (.222 Remington) in that shed when it was in the 40's or colder. Many times I was wearing gloves.

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave,
Thank you for the reply. Can I presume you made no adjustments other than insuring the first several cartridges "felt" fine whilecrimping, etc? Philip

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Always verify your powder charge level. Dillon is one of if not the best
loading set ups. Get a good vibrating case cleaner clean cases make for
a quality hand load.
Sounds as if you are off to a good start. Just keep in mind how important
it is to keep the 9mm bullet at the right Over all length.
As for crimping use the taper crimp. The roll crimp is for revolvers.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Philip,

At this time we were only reloading 30-06 and .222 Remington. No pistol. No crimping. 45ACP surplus ammo could be bought for close to nothing back then. I was shooting the reloaded .222 Remington off a bench and getting consistent 1/4" groups with these reloads. I would think that if the cold had an effect on the reloading process it would have shown up in the bench shooting. Pistol is a little more forgiving of case tolerance dimension deviations (within reason) than rifle in my experience.

It was reload in the cold or not reload at all back in those days. It worked out well for me.

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,
I think you and Mile have convinced me to go forward. Im looking forward to the alone time, chilly, warm or just right. I'm building my bench now so it wont be too long. That said, if anyone else would like to contribute Im listening.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I reload in my garage now but warm it up with a space heater first. If you do decide to put a heater in your garage keep the powder measure in the house until the garage warms up. If not the measure will sweat when it goes from a warm house to a very cold garage or if the measure is heated up too quickly and will cause the powder to stick in the measure.

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, Dave, great hint. In addition; okay beginner here :>>>>>. can I keep powder in garage and just use it? In other words, would it possibly "clump" during summer humidity? Yes, I can bring the powder inside and know it doesn't explode, but it's no fire retardant either. I say, bring it in, keep it well capped and all is fine. Yes, fire extinguishers etc. (I'm not looking for an insurance quote)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I keep the powder and primers in the house until ready for use. I have read that it doesn't hurt primers or powders to keep them in the garage but I don't like them sitting in my hot garage during the summer months.

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. I have no engineering reason why, it just makes sense. Thanks Dave!

·
born in the wrong century
5,881 Posts
Outstanding thread going here, guys.

I very much want to get my arse back into reloading again at some point in the semi-near future.

Years ago I had a single stage set-up indoors....but I lost that space due the family needing the room and I was mainly loading for accuracy on my hunting rifles.

Now, I'd mainly like to roll out some 9mm, 45acp and perhaps add .223/5.56.

The guys at the local range are Dillion dealers and run frequent classes and assure me that they'll help in any way to get me dialed in. Heck of resource.

Ideally I'd set everything up in the garage at a workbench that is available out there.
Local heat and humidity is a factor that had me concerned for the gear and the materials. I could store the powder, primers and other inside.

How would the dies handle the heat & humidity if the press is left setup and ready out in the garage ?

Very timely thread for me, Phillip.....I'll be reading with interest and seeing how you go about it.

Thank you for your military service and good for you for getting some fun times in on the range while balancing life's responsibilities. Great thread, man.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Currently with 9mm ammo being so cheap, I've been just keeping my store of 9mm components at the ready. I won't reload it at todays off the shelf prices. I'm not complaining.
Still bang out the 38super and 45auto. I keep my components in the basement now but prior to this I loaded in an outbuilding and while I still kept the powder still in the house, all was fine. I find it good therapy and enjoy being able to "roll my own". I'm still a single stage guy, I use a "little dandy" powder dispenser with changeable rotors. Find it very accurate and fast.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've done a lot of reloading this winter. I actually very much enjoy it. I've not had to deal with quite the cold that you're facing, so can't say for sure what issues you might see. Be interested if any others can chime in.

·
Grip Maker and FFL Dealer
816 Posts
If you have natural gas at your home, you should look into one of those overhead garage or shop heaters like a Modine Hot Dawg or a Mr. Heater Big Maxx. I use a Big Maxx 80K BTU to heat my 30x36 shop and it's plenty big enough for that. They make a smaller size for garages. They are not very expensive and will give you a lot more comfort and opportunity to reload in your garage. Heck, they will give you opportunities to do a lot of OTHER stuff in your garage too during the winter.

I didn't have a gas line to my shop, so I had to hire a plumber to trench the gas line and connect it to the meter, but if you already have gas at the house, it should be a project you could do yourself.

·
Laos, hard traveling
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very interesting. I know there is gas to the house. My parents opted to have the gas range converted to electric when they moved in, in 1995. Now I'm here caring for my 95yo mother, father is long gone, so gas could be run to the garage. That said, I moved back to the area after being in AZ for 20+ years and intend on moving back to AZ when my duties here are no longer needed, which is why I started this post. I need to reload my brass. I'm not rich but love to shoot. And though summer is upon us, winter is not far away, thus my post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts