1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I think i May be converting to reloading. I am not in a hurry but I am finding that I may have to reload different than what I can buy for certain firearms. Been doing some reading on the subject and it seems Dillon is the way to go for presses. Which model though? I want the cheapest model that I don’t have to sit and reload each Bullet. I guess I want an automatic? I shoot about 500 to 1000 rounds per month on average. I take it that I will also need dies for each caliber, powder, brass, and primers? Anything else that I am missing? Just wanted some opinions so I can get pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My “needs“ were similar to the OP’s, and I had planned to buy a 550. I ended up shopping around and finding a deal on a used 650 from a guy getting out of reloading. I got more loader and accessories than I would’ve sprung for if starting from scratch, and it was already set up thus flattening the learning curve.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
3,879 Posts
Dude, from what it sounds like you know very very little about reloading.

Step 1. Go buy a reloading manual or two and read. I would say understanding the basics of reloading is crucial no matter what press you end up with.

Once you do that, I would buy a Dillon or 650/750... the reason I’ve come to appreciate this press (more than the 550) is because it auto index’s and chance of a double charge is much lower.

That press is the better option because you mention not wanting to place a bullet on top every time... this press has an extra space for either a powder check... or, a Mr. Bullet feeder/Mini Mr. bullet feeder.

With each caliber you want to load, you are going to need dies, caliber conversion kits, tool heads, case feed plates, bullet feeder conversions, and honestly, all the press upgrades to make it right.

If you are going to jump in, just toss cost out the window.

To add to this, what caliber are you reloading? Once all is said and done, you can load 9mm for probably $7 a box depending on if you can even find components right now. Before the craziness hit again you could buy new ammo for $10-$11 a box.

I bring this up because the cost of your press set up etc is gonna run anywhere between $1200-$2500 depending on what all you buy. So it take a lot of 9mm ammo to surpass the cost to really start saving. If you are loading 38 super, 10mm or 45, cost savings starts happening much faster...

To start, there is no rush man... you really do need to understand what the heck you are doing before you jump in.

If you do decide on getting into it though, IMO there is no finer press For the money than a Dillon 650/750. Let us know what caliber you are gonna load!

·
Registered
696 Posts
There are quality options other than dillon — they all have great customer service but you should rarely need that

You can certainly get set up and start making quality ammo for less than $1000 — probably substantially less — did I already say Dillon isn’t the only game in town?

Lets start here — How many calibers are you thinking of reloading? Any rifle reloading?

·
Registered
Former RoofRat, mostly
557 Posts
You want Dillons cheapest progressive? A Square Deal is what you are after. Pretty much comes with everything you need as a reloading press. It is generally a 1 caliber system though it isn’t hard to change calibers.

You will need other items also, some way to clean your brass, scale, calipers, chamber checker, possibly some brass length tools, containers, etc., etc., ad infinitem. Research and someone with first hand knowledge is key when you start loading your own.

...Ron

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
First, read the book. I learned from Lyman and Speer handbooks. The first part that tells you how and why, not the load numbers.
You can get manuals for all the Dillon machines off their website.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

What calibers will you want to load for? I don't know how much trouble it is to change a 750 (the 650 is out of the catalog, although there are used machines advertised all the time.). The 550 and even the Square Deal are not bad, I am intimidated by the 1050 and mine stays in .45.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I've been reloading for 30 + years I started out with a basic single stage that I still use today I added a progressive a few years after ,

I feel it's better to learn to swim in the shallow end before diving head first in the deep end .

Take a look here for some more ideas https://ultimatereloader.com/

·
3,879 Posts
All the options people have mentioned are fine. The OP specifically states he doesn’t want to put a bullet on top of a case each time he pulls a handle.

If he’s not willing to do that, I doubt he’s willing to manually load an empty piece of brass...

Obviously there are different options vs Dillon... but based on the question the OP asked, the Dillon is the way to go. Unless of corse he wants a Mark7... that’s a different animal though.

·
3,879 Posts
I am intimidated by the 1050 and mine stays in .45.
Dood!!! I was in the same bot as you for a long time. Don’t be intimidated by it at all.

When I got my 1050 all the old timers told me how complex it was, how changing **** took hours of time, how it should be ordered and then left alone... I was afraid to change calibers etc...

It’s a very simple press. Nothing to be worried about. Seriously, IMO it’s simpler than the 650... I can take every part off my 1050 and put it back together... I can’t say that for my 650.

Take a look at the maintenance and live video on YouTube... there is a simple step by step process on the whole thing... once you do it a few times, nothin to it!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You want Dillons cheapest progressive? A Square Deal is what you are after. Pretty much comes with everything you need as a reloading press. It is generally a 1 caliber system though it isn’t hard to change calibers.

You will need other items also, some way to clean your brass, scale, calipers, chamber checker, possibly some brass length tools, containers, etc., etc., ad infinitem. Research and someone with first hand knowledge is key when you start loading your own.

...Ron
Ok. Thanks everyone for the replies. So I can add a bit to the list there. The reason why I say Dillon is because it seems to be the most popular and I would rather get behind a company that backs their product 100 percent. CS is worth paying the extra dollars for IMO. And yes I know very little about reloading and I will learn but I would rather buy and learn while I am doing since I actually learn better that way. I just want some basic information to go by. Watched a few videos on how they work and it’s not complicated. Where’s the best place to buy one? Do they ever go on discount or sale? Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All the options people have mentioned are fine. The OP specifically states he doesn’t want to put a bullet on top of a case each time he pulls a handle.

If he’s not willing to do that, I doubt he’s willing to manually load an empty piece of brass...

Obviously there are different options vs Dillon... but based on the question the OP asked, the Dillon is the way to go. Unless of corse he wants a Mark7... that’s a different animal though.
Yes. I would like the fastest way to do it. I already have very limited time on my hands and the only reason why I haven’t really considered it before is because I am ok with buying off the shelf ammo. And now I realize I may have to tailor ammo for certain guns. The only way to do that is to do it yourself. Thanks :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes. I would like the fastest way to do it. I already have very limited time on my hands and the only reason why I haven’t really considered it before is because I am ok with buying off the shelf ammo. And now I realize I may have to tailor ammo for certain guns. The only way to do that is to do it yourself. Thanks :)

Kinda contradicting yourself here — if I read this right you are looking to make ammo specific to 1 gun at a time — fastest and tailor for certain gun can be done but it’s a process that needs your undivided attention — that means time to dedicate to the process

If this truly is gun specific and not just caliber specific you will be making changes to your setup frequently

Once again — How many calibers are we talking here? What are they?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kinda contradicting yourself here — if I read this right you are looking to make ammo specific to 1 gun at a time — fastest and tailor for certain gun can be done but it’s a process that needs your undivided attention — that means time to dedicate to the process

If this truly is gun specific and not just caliber specific you will be making changes to your setup frequently

Once again — How many calibers are we talking here? What are they?
I don’t think I am contradicting myself. Once you setup it really shouldn’t be any different, at least from the videos I have been watching. Doesn’t seem to be a complicated process at all. I just want a very efficient way to get it done. My time is worth a lot to me. I mainly shoot 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 SW, 45 Colt, 38 special, and 357 mag. That’s for pistols and for rifles it’s just 308 win, 6.5 creed, 556/223, and 300 win mag. What I would do is make a bunch in one caliber then move to the next. I will also more than likely still buy factory ammo if I feel like I don’t have the time. Thanks for your input.

·
3,879 Posts
I don’t think I am contradicting myself. Once you setup it really shouldn’t be any different, at least from the videos I have been watching. Doesn’t seem to be a complicated process at all. I just want a very efficient way to get it done. My time is worth a lot to me. I mainly shoot 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 SW, 45 Colt, 38 special, and 357 mag. That’s for pistols and for rifles it’s just 308 win, 6.5 creed, 556/223, and 300 win mag. What I would do is make a bunch in one caliber then move to the next. I will also more than likely still buy factory ammo if I feel like I don’t have the time. Thanks for your input.

for what you want, you are gonna be dropping a **** ton of money man. Most people who want to do what you are talking about will buy a press dedicated for each caliber and once it’s tuned in, never deviate from it. 1k rounds per month doesn’t justify the cost of doing this for each of those calibers.

Although you don’t think it’s complicated, and have watch a small handful of videos, it’s clear you don’t fully understand what goes into the process.

Again, buy a few reloading books and read... you are gonna end up blowing up a rifle or pistol and possibly get hurt.

Best of luck figuring this out...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for what you want, you are gonna be dropping a **** ton of money man. Most people who want to do what you are talking about will buy a press dedicated for each caliber and once it’s tuned in, never deviate from it. 1k rounds per month doesn’t justify the cost of doing this for each of those calibers.

Although you don’t think it’s complicated, and have watch a small handful of videos, it’s clear you don’t fully understand what goes into the process.

Again, buy a few reloading books and read... you are gonna end up blowing up a rifle or pistol and possibly get hurt.

Best of luck figuring this out...
Ok..... I am a highly educated man. I think I can figure this out. If I end up a Darwin candidate, you can say I told you so. I pretty much gather what “goes into the process” and will obviously research it before I actually go into load development I just wanted to get an idea of which press to purchase to suit my needs. I think I will survive. Appreciate the input

1 - 20 of 61 Posts