1. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Hi guys, got a question, just received my new set dies from Redding ( 9mm luger) steel dies,
    when I started to seat my bullet using my single stage press, I notest a ring around top of bullet, some people call it a crown , and you can feel it with your finger nail should I be concerned ??

Thank you for responding to my Request.:careful:

john_anch_ak likes this.
  2. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome from Alaska! How about a couple of pictures of "ring" around the top of the bullet. It may be nothing and on the other hand you might have the wrong bullet seater. installed They usually have one for lead semi wadcutters and one for your "normal" hollow points etc. But pics sure would help. PICT0110.jpg

3. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Hi john_anch_ak, I've called the Redding people (they made die) spoke to a man named Scott,
    he told me to back off seating die too -2 complete turns and he sending me a replacement stem incase I need more room on ajusting .I'm also getting a tapper crimp die.

xerts1191 and john_anch_ak like this.
  4. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    The ring around the bullet is caused by the edges of the seating cup(my opinion)when it bottoms out with the stem you are using.
    What COAL are you trying to hit?

john_anch_ak likes this.
  5. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    July 19, COAL In Sierra book, bullet #8120 is 1.090

6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Sounds as if you have it licked now. Good luck with your new adventure.

7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    I get minor seating stem ring marks on my lead reloads. They do not affect anything.

8. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    thanks guys, for all your reply, I;m going to due what" Redding" said and see what happens.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted