Remington 700

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Rob Alderman, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm looking into buying a long range rifle and am considering the remington 700 series. Anyone here know much about them? Advice? I've heard great things so far, but still don't understand the different offerings in this gun. Any help would be great.

2. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I recently did a lot of research on long range rifles and narrowed my search to the Remington 700, Tikka T3, and the Browning X-bolt. It really came down to personal preference in how the three felt in my hands. I planned on using the rifle for hunting and knew I wanted a 270.

After much fondling back and forth I decided I preferred the palm swell of the Tikka and Browning over the smaller swell of the 700.

Also the browning and tikka were lighter weight than the 700.

It's true that there are many more aftermarket parts for the 700 than the other two, but I wasn't too concerned about that since I wasn't planning to load the rifle up.

I read multiple reviews of the three and accuracy seemed comparable for all. The tikka comes with a 3 shot 1" guarantee while the others don't. However reports and reviews showed that all the rifles were capable of that accuracy.

I ended up choosing the browning over the tikka because of complaints that the "bottom metal" of the tikka was plastic (presumably to keep the weight down) and also the bolt shroud is plastic and many reported cracking of that part after only minimal use. There are companies that make aluminum shrouds and bottom metal but I didn't want to have to deal with purchasing extra parts to deal with it.

The browning's pad is also the most comfortable of the three and their X-mounting system seems to be very stable using Leupold rings.

The browning fit my needs for what my intended use is. I've been happy with my decision. Also the triggers are adjustable on the tikka and browning. (not sure about the 700). It was a bit heavy before adjusting it down to the minimum 3.5# pull. A very easy adjustment by just rotating a hex screw in front of the trigger under the bottom metal.

Hope this helps. I know you asked specifically about the 700 but just thought i'd give you some other options.

3. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Wellll...... it kind of boils down to budget. And, how far you wish to shoot, what caliber, for plinking or competition, etc.

You can get into a basic rifle for $500 to $700, less optics. Police rifles for $800 to $1000, less optics. I mentioned optics twice. You find, the further you shoot, the better glass you would like to have, and the more magnification you would like to have.

Most M700's will shoot well (when you find the factory ammo they like), they will shoot better if you reload for them. Any "basic" rifle can be restocked, check ebay, stockys, gb for stocks to see what's out there.

There are all sorts of mounts/bases/aftermarket accessories for the 700s. You can think outside of the box for buying one as well. Gunbroker M700s in BDL, can be had pretty reasonable- for the longer action calibers (older). Check some reloading information to see what common boltface diameters are available in whatever caliber you decide on. You may pick up a good rifle on the cheap, just for the action, then have it rebarreled and the action trued.

You could also pick one up already built and ready to go. Expect $1500 to $3000, less optics (unless you get lucky). Decent optics $700 to $1000, better up to $2500.

Were it me, and knowing what M700s have shot best for me in the past, I'd try to find a PSS (police) in 308 and go from there. 26" barrel aids the velocity. Next choice would be a VLS, laminated stock. If you see them on an auction site, and can see the serial number, Remington can tell you when it was built. Maybe it's me (prob not just me), but I think the rifles built up to the mid '90s are better quality than most of what came after them.

Stock triggers can be adjusted down (by a qualified individual) to about 2 lbs, 2-3 is good for awhile. You may find you want to go lower, Timney and Jewell are going to run a couple hundred, Rifle Basix for about $100 - $125. I have one M700 with the X-Mark trigger, it's OK, but I like the older style trigger better.

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm obviously not an expert, but I've read that a Rem 700 matched with a Manners/McMillan stock is a good option. I have no idea on glass, but for a serious rifle, I've read it should be about half the cost of the rifle. USO, Nightforce, or Schmidt & Bender.

5. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Welcome Rob.
    I have had a Remmy 700 VS since the Late 90's. The thing shot sub minute on angle the day first shot it. The only thing I ever did was add a timney trigger and glass.
    So I would try to find one with H.S. stock with the aluminium bedding block. The closest thing to my gun these days is the
    Model 700™ VS SF™ II.

Here is my 700 VS in .308
    [​IMG]

Good luck finding your rifle.

Kenny

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    Many competition target rifles have been built on the Remington 700 action. I have a 700 VLS in .223 and it will shoot the lights out, but that's with a heavy target barrel, free floated, and bedded action.

8. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    My 700 shoots pretty well, especially after I replaced the crappy factory stock. Which rifle is best for you will depend on your intended usage.

[​IMG]

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Less jibba jabba, more pics foos!

[​IMG]

10. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Remington Police heavy/bull barrel in .308 with 8x24x50 glass.

[​IMG]

11. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Couple of "mid range" plinkers in .223....

M700 LTR 1:9 twist, 20" bbl. Restocked to HS Precision stock with palm swell, also just a hair longer forearm. Iron Brigade 20 MOA integral ringmount, 30mm. Leupold Mark 4 PR Mildot 4.5-14x40 scope. Rifle Basix varmint trigger, set at approx 8 oz.

[​IMG]

M700 VS, 1:12 twist, 26: bbl. Standard HS Precision stock. Talley rings and mounts, 1". Leupold 6.5-20x40 Air Rifle EFR scope, with target dot. Stock trigger adjusted to approx 2.5lbs.

[​IMG]

12. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Oh heck, I know this thread is "about" Rem700's but I'm gonna tell you something. A couple of my friends on here, DRYHUMOR being one of them, got me hooked on the older New Haven Winchester M70's here a while back. I've been super impressed with them. My .223 Coyote shoots sub .400" five shot groups and my .308 Coyote is now shooting sub .5" five shot groups at 100 yards...and this is for factory rifles! Triggers are SUPER easy to adjust and if you search for them on GB you can find them from time to time really reasonable...

I've owned a lot of fancy rifles over the years but have recently learned you really have a hard time going wrong with a New Haven Win M70...shoot, it's what I'm having my next custom rifle built on by Randy Gregory if that tells you anything...

13. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Have y'all looked at the Savage offerings?

14. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I guess it would help to know what you're planning on using it for. Just target long range shooting or hunting. Like others have said if you want to spend the money upgrading components 700 is probably the easiest to upgrade.

15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My budget 700

[​IMG]

back when i was sighting it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What model 700 is that?

17. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  18. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks, Quack! That's almost exactly what I'm looking for! Is it in .380?

19. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I don't think it's in .380 but I do think it's in .308

20. Rob Alderman

Rob Alderman Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Lol. That's what I meant!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted