Remington Remington agrees to sell ammo business

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 1911_Bandit, Sep 10, 2020.

1. SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ Member

Oct 17, 2019
    I hope the Barnes bullets don't suffer in quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1911_Bandit and PantaRhei like this.

2. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I hope they produce more quantities

1911_Bandit and SteveCNJ like this.
  3. PantaRhei

PantaRhei Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2020
    First thought I had...I had all intentions of using TTSX bullets for my rifles.

4. 1911_Bandit

1911_Bandit Batteries_included

Mar 5, 2020
    It is my understanding that the investment company that now owns Remington Ammo is the same investment company that also owns PSA. I hope that DOES mean Barnes quality will not suffer. I use the TTSX in my .300BlackOut.

Glock2740, bnaples and PantaRhei like this.
  5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Remington was run into the ground by an investment company.....it can’t get much worse

6. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
    I betting this is a bottom feeding bunch of bean counters who will bleed it for all it’s worth and dump the empty husk. I’d bet that’s what has already happened to Remington. I’d like to see the total compensation packages paid out to corporate officers at Remington. Reminds of the bigazz spiders out at camp.

Badabing11, PantaRhei and DRYHUMOR like this.
  7. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Can some body e'splain this to me?

Other than (admittedly) the parent holding company siphoning off profits in the early years, Remington had two main problems: 1) the Sandy Hook related lawsuit and 2) a product liability {safety related} lawsuit.

The Sandy Hook lawsuit that literally hung over them for the last several years had to do with a "marketing/advertising" issue. Not the actual products they made.

And the 'safety' related lawsuit was a fairly standard design defect-type thing with some injuries and/or a death(?) involved. Something pretty much all firearm manufacturers have to fight against at one time or another.

As far as I'm aware, neither of these lawsuits were actually ever brought to trial. Why not? The worse that could happen is that Remington would loose and have to declare bankruptcy. Well..... isn't that where we are today?

Instead, these lawsuits were just allowed to languish for years on end while law firms continued charging exorbitant monthly or quarterly legal fees, without making any progress in putting these lawsuits to bed. Instead, they just allowed (maybe, encouraged?) the courts to just keep extending the trial dates. What possible good could that serve?

With bankruptcy, in the end, assets will be sold off to satisfy the claimants. As has been evidenced, no outside company is going to agree to buy them unless or until the pending litigation is cleared up. And the claimants will have to be satisfied with getting whatever value the market declares.

How is any of this better than "fighting it out in court"? If you loose, the results are the same as stated above. And, at least in my opinion, there may have been a chance of winning against the Sandy Hook "advertising" lawsuit - that could have potentially been a very difficult thing to prove in court. As far as the "defective safety" lawsuit is concerned, those are typically settled with agreed to, and undisclosed monetary awards. I just can't understand why Remington didn't choose to have "their day in court" - they could have won. And if they didn't, they'd still be where they are now.

pwgunny and 1911_Bandit like this.
  8. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020

9. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    It likely didn’t suit their purposes financially.

Jameeson likes this.
  10. nalabama

nalabama Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Nothing has been sold yet. And no final decisions have been rendered in either liability suit. Remington may yet emerge from their bankruptcy under the protection of the bankruptcy court and remain in business.

11. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Would hate to see them tear down the shot tower on I40 just east of Carlisle, Arkansas.

12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Typically product quality always suffers when an investment company takes the reins of a business

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted