Remington Model 8

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Scaramouche, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    IMG_0636-1024x755.jpg

Originally introduced in 1906 as the Remington Autoloading Rifle with FN releasing their version in 1910 as the FN 1900 these guns were among the first large caliber semi auto rifles available. In 1911 Remington renamed the gun the Model 8.

wm_4688816.jpg
    Model 8 designed by our god father, John Moses Browning, using the same long stroke recoil system he was developing for his A5 shotgun at the time.

Remington produced the Model 8 in .35 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem and .25 Rem from 1906 till 1939 with production dropping off in the early 1930's cause of the depression, but this was a popular hunting gun so they retooled, streamlined manufacturing and transitioned to the Model 81 which hit the stores in 1936.

Both models shared a fixed box magazine that was fed with a 5 round stripper clip. The Model 81 was in production from 1936 till 1950.

FBI-Marc-davis.jpg
    The Model 81 (above) had a thicker forearm and waist and gained a 1/2 lb in weight bringing it up to 8 lbs of wood and steel goodness. It retained the 22" jacketed barrel and most parts were interchangeable. The Model 8 and FN's 1900 were used in aerial combat during World War I, and the pictures below displaying police versions illustrate extended magazines giving LEOs and military added firepower.

1468341155_remington-model-8-5.jpg
    I think Texas Ranger Frank Hammer used a Model 8 to take down Bonnie & Clyde.

DSC08649.jpg

As much as I would like John Browning to have the first large caliber auto rifle award, I think Winchester's ace designer Thomas C. Johnson beat him by a year with the Winchester 1905 in .351. A blowback operated rifle with a detachable 5 or 10 round magazine.

14395642_2.jpg
    Johnson was the designer responsible for the peerless Winchester Model 52 small bore match rifle as well as the Winchester Model 54 that evolved into one of the finest hunting bolt guns, the Winchester Model 70.

Reason I guess I'm posting this is today I received an old wood & steel long gun from my FFL and tried to squeeze it into my safe. Standing there I admired for a moment that everything in there was made out of wood and steel and it occurred to me I don't have any black guns and a lot of you guys are the reverse. The Model 8s are still floating around and were very popular in their day.

remrecoil.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    limbkiller, gaijin, gps man and 13 others like this.
  2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Says a lot for that ol wood and steel! :)

wcanterbury and Scaramouche like this.

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Amazing rifle. Had a neighbor who inherited a mint 1915 in 35Rem. Did everything I could to try to buy or trade into that beauty... didn't happen...

wcanterbury, Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  4. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    I do love my old wood and steel guns! Now if I can get Winchester to produce their 1892 Deluxe Octagon again I would probably spend the money to pick up one in .357 mag, .44 Mag and .45 Colt!
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/conte...-past-products/model-1892-deluxe-octagon.html
    [​IMG]

gps man and Scaramouche like this.
  5. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Some real beauties posted here, thanks for posting them.

Scaramouche likes this.
  6. Zaugau

Zaugau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Nice write-up and history mouche! That disassembled model 8 has some nice figuring, and it's an attractive design.

I'm with you, all of my long guns are wood and steel, just my strong preference. So what was the one you just acquired?

Scaramouche likes this.
  7. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  8. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    A blowback in .351? Hoooo Doggie! Welp, that’s gonna leave a mark! Very nice rifles. I do like the older quality. The feel and even the smell is better. Sometimes you get the joy of hearing the wood make noise on a quiet night while it’s leaning up against the wall. Even old rifles gotta crack their knees sometimes.

wcanterbury likes this.
  9. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I had a family friend send me an older (1960s) Remington Wingmaster 12 gauge from my Uncle's old place. Thing is cherry except wear on one side of receiver where he carried it. 2 3/4 shell, fixed full choke, ventilated deep blue lady-in-the-lake barrel with that wonderful slimey snick snack action. Nice almost perfect walnut Fleur de Lys stock & fore arm, original butt pad. Good crisp 3.5 - 4 lb trigger.

21091378_8.jpg

10. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Fleur de lis. You gotta pretend to hate German wine to pronounce it right. Wonderful long guns fellas. Wood is warm and lives a long time after being formed. Some say 1000 years. It does if you keep the spirit alive.

wcanterbury likes this.
  11. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    The two problems are that this is an 1873 action and is 20" not 24". I saw one from CDNN a month ago and my heart skipped a beat as it was a 24" in the white with beautiful walnut, then I read more carefully and discovered it was an 1873 not an 1892! :(

12. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I went and did a search using "CDNN" and found a Winchester 1892 .44 Magnum with a 20" octagon barrel in "The White". I placed a bid on this one! If I win I will send it to Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works https://tylergunworks.com/ for color case hardening, master bluing and fire blued screws and small parts.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the reminder! :rolleyes: :grin:

gps man and SparkyAZ like this.
  13. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    That is the one I won earlier. The wood is beautiful, though a bit on the glossy finished side.

I am having Turnbull remove the tang safety, fill the hole. While in there, take care of the rebounding hammer as well.

I’m having the receiver charcoal blued, barrel and mag tube slow rust blued, all other parts will be done color case. I was going to do the screws in nitre blue, but people I spoke with claim it does not hold up well.

wcanterbury likes this.
  14. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    If I win, I will have the receiver, lever, hammer, butt plate, fore end and trigger color case hardened. The screws, end of mag tube, sights (?) would be nitre/fire blued and the barrel and mag tube would be mirror slow rust blued.
    I will sell my Winchester NIB .44 Mag Short rifle 20" barrel for $850-900 to help finance.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted