Remington Rand Early Model

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by EdinFla, Nov 6, 2018.

1. EdinFla

EdinFla Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Just picked this up. It has the full "New York" inscription on the slide, high screws on the grips (no reinforcing rings), an HS barrel, Stubby hammer and so on. All the bits seem to indicate the first variation except that the sn is 9266xx which is a bit over the limit they specify on CoolGuns.

The finish seems to me to be uniformly worn and the barrel is consistant with that level of wear.

Thing is that some of the marks are light, some are not. I have no idea how consistant these things were. sn masked.jpg IMG_9348.JPG
    The other thing that I found odd is that the bluing on the barrel gets noticeably Right Side.jpg lighter right behind the ejection port. Not sure the picture will show it well. The difference is on both sides. Was there some sort of heat treating going on that would cause the bluing to "take" differently? Seem to recall reading something about that.

Anyway, I'd appreciate all thoughts. Thanks.

xerts1191, 1911 dawg and ronin11 like this.
  2. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Looks like an original first type RR, but has been refinished. Picture of slide serrations on left side show where they have been polished down along with markings.

Coolguns is wrong, it is first type.

3. EdinFla

EdinFla Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I checked it more closely last night. Another thing I noticed was that the feed ramp was in the white with tool marks. My understanding is that at this stage of the war production, the ramp was machined after bluing, hence it being in the white. I am wondering if he slide might have been refinished for reasons unknown and the frame not.

4. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    That is possible, but would have been done after it left the military.

5. EdinFla

EdinFla Member

Nov 6, 2018
    It seems odd to me. Whenever it was finished, it seems uniformly worn.

Is this a fairly rare example?

6. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I see no pics of barrel? Do you refer to slide and the darkened color on forward third or so of slide? If so ,yes, its spot hardened and at the slide stop takedown notch as well.

7. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The slide was probably buffed pretty hard as the frame doesn't show as much loss of metal. It may have been a refinished parkerized slide with the correct markings and someone buffed it down. The hardened areas don't show up as much when blued as when parkerized.

The early RRs with the full NEW YORK address are fairly hard to find, but they also have to have condition to be worth more.

8. M1911info

M1911info Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Slide stop notches were not hardened until mid-1943.

william adams likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted