Remington Rand WW2. Hopefully nothing fishy about this one.

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by 41ManGun, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 41ManGun

41ManGun New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Just picked this up at my local gun store and from what I was told it was a bring back from the eastern front. Looks legit to me but I am a bit “gun shy” from my last experience. What do you all think.
    If anyone is interested, I’m in contact with the guy that sold me the altered serial number gun. I believe I’ll get my money back. Thanks to everyone who responded to my quest to find out the legitimacy of my previous WW2 1911A1. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Glad to hear you will get your money back! Been following along and doing some research. Looks like this one is more on par so, look forward to hearing more from the experts. TW

How about a full gun photo? :)

wcanterbury likes this.

3. 41ManGun

41ManGun New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    New photos attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORShooter likes this.
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Which "Eastern Front"?

KS95B40 likes this.
  5. 41ManGun

41ManGun New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Tells you that I know too little about WW2. I meant the France, Italy ,Germany, Belgium area of the war. The European area not the Pacific.

6. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Looks legit to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. Cousin Vinny

Cousin Vinny Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    CA204674-A764-43A4-8709-BF590D99B43F.jpeg 9C4B9A29-DEC7-4EC7-9A2A-D86D6323DCBD.jpeg Here’s mine and I know it’s good to go. It has the same witness marks as well. I’d say
    “ good score”! BTW, how many of you guys ever seen an original finish arms room clunker with out an idiot scratch?!!!
    Cousin vinny

KS95B40, UBOATDOC and Scaramouche like this.
  8. Au Jus in Bello

Au Jus in Bello Well-Known Member

May 19, 2017
    How many by your count?

9. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    yes amazing without the idiot scratch!

10. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Not every soldier was clumsy! That’s a great time capsule. All of mine are looking over there with the same intrepidation as a kid looking at a parent after eating too many cookies. Nice score.

KS95B40 likes this.
  11. 41ManGun

41ManGun New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’m glad someone knew what they were doing while field stripping this particular 1911A1. The absence of an idiot mark is definitely a blessing.

Haven’t even taken the grips off yet. I wonder what I might find when I do. I’ll let you know if there is anything there.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and mudgun like this.
  12. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Congratulations, that's a good one! It looks correct based on what I see.

I think yours should have an "HS" stamped near the barrel linkage:
    t5qcsNk.jpg

It should also have a serrated main spring housing like this:
    NOzNzbq.jpg

It may well have a General Shaver magazine too. If so, it will have a G stamped on the toe of the magazine. They are kind of expensive, but not impossible to find.
    1911a1_984284d.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics.

1L26, Scaramouche and KS95B40 like this.
  13. 41ManGun

41ManGun New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Thanks for your pic & info.

14. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The General Shaver magazines were replacements. Not original to any Remington Rands except very last production in 1945. People pay high prices for the wrong magazine.

M1911info likes this.
  15. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    My 1942 Remington Rand has an idiot mark, that was annoying me. Glad to hear that there aren't many without one.

16. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Why would an American GI be an idiot for scratching a pistol? In training they had to assemble the pistol blindfolded, and were taught to press the slide stop against the frame and push it in. Is the holster wear also an idiot mark?

Indy_Tim likes this.
  17. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    One.
    In common use in a historical context during WWII, the "Eastern Front" referred to what is also known as the "Russian Front".

18. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Sure thing. You probably have a copy of Clawsons book, but if you don't you might like it!

If you want a G magazine message me. I have a bunch, and I don't collect WWII pistols anymore.

19. Indy_Tim

Indy_Tim Member

Sep 20, 2013
    I’ve always hated the term ‘idiot scratch’ when talking about a USGI 1911. Sure, it may apply to a nice modern production gun if your idiot teenage son boogers it up during reassembly but for USGI guns that served, not so much.

They often didn’t even worry about putting the same slide on the original pistol because they were seen as simple tools of war. It’s hard to imagine a soldier worrying about scratching the frame when cleaning a weapon after combat. He certainly does not warrant being called an idiot if he did.

Robert L Brown and Lakeman45 like this.
  20. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017

The pacific is East, Atlantic (Europe) is West. Historically, the “Far East” meant East Asia and the Orient.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted