1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bullet Banger
2,202 Posts
I have an old Ruger Blackhawk that was chrome plated about 40 years ago. The chrome is now old and wore out and I am going to remove this old chrome plating.

My question is how do I remove it from the revolver? Here is what I am going to try.

In order to have the chrome put on they had to positive charge the frame then dip it in a mixture and then they charged the mixture with a negative charge which made the mixture bond to the positive charged frame.

What I am going to do is hook up my battery chargers negative clip to the frame then dip it in battery acid then put my battery chargers positive clip in the battery acid and turn it on. I am guessing the chrome plating should then start coming off. Have you done this process before and will this work.

What are some other ways to get the chrome plating off. Please no guessing just real answers from people who have done it please.
I tried that method on my nutsack one time. Didn't work at all! My nuts are still more chrome than my Jennings .22.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Robar.... quick, easy, painless.

Brownells sells a kit.. but it is not for the amatuer. You will get amatuer results. I would not dip my gun in battery acid though.... can't be good for the bore, chambers, ect...

·
Registered
45 Posts
LOL, on how many 1911 forums are you going to ask the same question? I think it's been sufficiently answered. The consensus is unless you have a death wish or hate this gun send it to a pro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts