Removing dimples from Remmy 870

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pscipio03, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I've seen a number of different ways: drill them out; use a socket and hammer it through; use the Brownells tool; etc...
    Has anyone ever just cut two channels into the replacement follower instead of adjusting the tube itself? I've got a WC high viz follower that i could probably just tape to the original follower and simply dremel a channel using it.
    Or, is it just easier to knock out/cut out the dimples?

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Trying to picture it disassembled. I believe the follower can twist and jam up. I just used a dremel with fine stone on mine and went slow.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

I’ve done it a few times. I’ve always just used a 7/8” deepwell socket. First driving the socket to remove most of the crimps. Then I used a delron punch with the socket inside acting like a hammer dolly to smooth put the areas completely.

I have seen others use a mill to machine the dimples from the tube. I’d rather not have the holes in the tube.

Here is a bit of text on the subject. There are also many videos on BoobTube

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/07/remington-870-magazine-dimple-removal/

4. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    yeah, saw the socket method (really don't want to get it stuck but probably not an issue if you use a bolt and washer through it). Just wondering if there's a method that doesn't involve changing the tube itself.

5. Screwball

Screwball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...etent-swage-remington-12-gauge-prod75328.aspx

You mean this one, right?

Brownell’s does have a more expensive one, but that one above is more than capable. It is how I added the extension on my TAC-14

Need that swage, a brass hammer, and some grease (I used Shooters Choice). Pull parts from the tube, and put a good amount of grease on both dimples. Then, grease up the swage, and fit it in the tube. Tap it down the tube, will meet the dimples, then start to push them out. When you get it fully into the tube, use the brass hammer to tap both dimples... which will free up the tension on the swage. Twist and remove.

When I finished, I took the stainless follower that I run, placed it where the dimples were, and rotated it to confirm nothing will hang up the follower.

Might be the only time I use it, but definitely a nice tool to have. Costs less than what most gunsmiths charge for the work, and is definitely cleaner than drilling them.

6. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
  7. Screwball

Screwball New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Yea, I wasn’t spending that much for one use, either. When I looked, having it done was in the $50 range. That was the number I wouldn’t pay more for the tool.

In regards to it being worth more than a $6 socket... I’ll leave you with this.

[​IMG]

For the 7/8” socket, you really only pay for the internal measurement being right... correct? Does that mean the OD is always the same, regardless of manufacturer? It also isn’t tapered, nor have an over travel stop.

I have seen plenty of instances where people have done it with a 7/8” socket. I’ve also read a handful where it caused an issue.

That is where the $35 was worth it to me...

8. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Fair point

Screwball likes this.
  9. 782guns.com

782guns.com New Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I'm the author of the rifleshooter.com post. Over the years of doing this I've determined the best way is to cut them out. I'm an 07/SOT with a store front and machine shop, if anyone brings one in we just mill them out.

Over the years I've literally tried everything. If you don't have access to a mill you can drill them out but the holes get kinda big.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The tube has to be modified to get the dimples out.
    I used a Snap On deepwell that I have. I did insert a long bolt, 3/8” I think, into the socket. Then a b nut to secure the socket. About two inches parther down I placed to jam nuts and inserted them into a bench vise.

Slow, patient deliberate work allowed me to get the dimples out in about ten minutes. Nothing got stuck, no $80 spent on a single purpose tool. When I was done, the socket went back into the toolbox and the hardware back into a bin.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Just ended up drilling it out. Tied a socket and the outer diameter was too big.
    For $260, I figure it can have a few holes in it.
    Now time to spruce it up a bit with some unnecessary, but tactical,
    add-ons

gun_fan111 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted