Removing front sight...

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by awpk03s, Oct 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have intentions of installing a new shorter tritium front sight on my S&W. The Heinie model that I have, is too tall, making the gun shoot low, and has no white outline - which I would like.

There is no roll pin in the sight, it is just dovetailed in. I tried using a brass hammer and 10-8 nylon drift punch, and this thing will NOT move. Do I need a sight pusher? Or is there another trick that I'm not privvy to?

I used the punch to install the 10-8 rear and it worked perfectly.

2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    probably have to heat it up real good with a hair dryer or something to break the loctite, if that don't work then I would find someone with a sight pusher.

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    it may have loctite on it. heat or acetone will break the bond.

also what direction are you trying to remove it. i usually remove from Right to Left and install Left to Right.

4. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict Sponsor

Oct 3, 2011
    What are you using to hold the slide, in most cases the slide is not held firm enough to allow the punch to move the sight.

5. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Good tips... thanks guys! I've hung it up for the night, but will try this again tomorrow.

6. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Heat is your friend here...you can use a small butane lighter or torch to heat the front sight till you see a slight amount of smoke. Then tap it out from left to right, as that is how most front sights are installed at factories, at least in my experience...

7. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Time out!

Joe says to take out tap left to right.

Quack says to take out tap right to left.

We need a tie breaker, please.

claire

8. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Someone posted a link to a thread of Dave Dawson showing how to fit a sight. I
    believe he was installing from the left to the right!!!!!
    I have ALWAYS installed from the right to the left as have the vast majority of my
    cohorts.
    I've never seen the need to use heat to defeat Loc-Tite on a dovetail. Threaded fasteners are
    a different story.

9. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Brownell's recently put out a tip on sight drifting to put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Sounded different to me but maybe its worth trying.

10. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    from the Brownell's Facebook page

11. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Thank you Chuck. It's nice to be in good company. ;-)

12. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    to be clear (to me)...right to left removal AND installation, and which way is the slide turned when going right to left?

13. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    From shooters point of view.

14. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    gotcha. Thanks Don

15. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Jason,
    From shooters point of view. Install from right to left (in other words, put it in from the ejection port side). Remove from left to right (take it out on the ejection port side). But hey, that's just how I do it. I am right handed and do make all my own front sights from scratch though...

16. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Joe i'm pretty sure if I ever install a sight that would be my natural way of doing it. Having the slide turned with muzzle facing me it would naturally be from left to right for me. That's just how I work..my brain and all...left to right...

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The right to left issue has always been explaind to me as from the point of use.
    Or, as the weapon is held, as sitting in the driver's seat,...........

18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That might shrink it a tiny.. tiny bit. I suspect a sight pusher would accomplish more, especially if one doesn't have a big vise with padded jaws.. Ron

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  19. Pappy

Pappy New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Looking at the rear of the gun, remove the sight left to right. Install right to left.

With all the opinions here, we should start a poll.....

20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    It's like talking about car's.. All directions/descriptions should be given from the drivers/shooters perspective, right? Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted