Removing rust off stainless.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Descartian, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have a couple stainless slides that have slight oxidation in the slide serrations similar to the attached picture.

I’ve tried numerous chemical solutions with no progress on removal.

Any ideas on ways to get it off? I’m picking up a blasting cabinet today. Would fine grit glass beads remove it? What kind of finish would it leave? I’m thinking I’m going to DLC the parts after to keep the corrosion away.

Attached Files:

2. SDM

SDM Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2011
    1 tbsp baking soda and 1 tsp of water.....I've also heard of people adding lemon juice but I've never needed it...

Nopps and xerts1191 like this.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    If you are considering a new finish, check out Robar's Np3+.

4. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Yes fine glass beads will remove it. I use a 170-320 glass beads in my shop for stainless often, leaves a soft satin finish but you'll need to do the whole slide to match.

wrmiller likes this.
  5. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes you will need to do the entire firearm. Make sure to use tape to mask off the areas you do not want the media to ingress into because it will. Have done many rifle actions, rings, bases and bottom metal on my equipment and others in my friends shop. The key to doing tis is a steady and even approach not stopping and Blasting one area only.

Posted this picture before but it is handy---this entire rifle was bead blasted including the barrel for the spider web treatment a signature finish of my rifle smith. note the action (aluminum Stolle Kodiak), rings and bases all match.. Practice Practice Practice. Also and this is important!!!! Make sure your firearm is clean with no solvent ,oil or anything else!! Use brake cleaner to clean before bead blasting--let dry and immediately blast. Then use brake cleaner generously to completely remove any residue that may have gotten anywhere, remove tape, oil generously and put back together.

There is an art to this so do not get impatient and screw it up. What you see below is a result of doing this many many times. Note the sharpness of the flutes where they were taped off. Key is even and light like you are painting but slower. :) USO Warp7 2 (2).JPG

6. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    And clean your cabinet, change the beads. I've seen way too many guns get blasted with ferrous metal in the media. Not pretty after a few days.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. Nopps

Nopps Member

Feb 25, 2019
    I've actually tried the baking soda method as well and it works pretty good. I found some oxidation under a grip basically and thought I was sunk. Ended up saving the day.

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted