Replaced Recoil/Firing Pin Springs - Different from Stock

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by E39, Jan 22, 2012.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I have over 1,000 rounds through the SA Loaded. Lately I've noticed some dents on the ejected cartridges. Figured it would be a good time to replace the recoil spring.

Ordered a Wolff recoil spring stock 16# for a Colt 1911/1911A1 Gov't Model (part no. 41916). Came with an extra power firing pin spring (which is stock in the SA with titanium firing pin).

Here's the problem (maybe):
    The Wolff recoil spring is around an inch longer than the SA recoil spring.
    The Wolff firing pin spring is shorter than the SA firing pin spring.

SA on top / Wolff on bottom:
    Recoil_Springs.jpg

There is a noticeable different in racking the slide (more resistance). I'll need to go to the range to make sure everything is working properly. BUT, before I do that, I thought I'd ask here if this type of difference in the springs is "normal".

Thanks,
    George

2. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I have went well beyond 1000 rounds with my springs. I have seen 3750 and still no change or malfs. Without measuring the diameter of the wire and the size of the coil its hard to tell. Springs as they loose tension loose their free length. I am no expert.

3. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    All else being equal, a worn out spring will be shorter than a new spring.

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    The current recoil spring will have "spring set", so it's going to be shorter.....as has been noted.

I got nothing for you on the firing pin spring length difference except length doesn't govern spring weight alone.

5. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Was this a new gun when you got it? Springs certainly take a set but they don't lose coils. A Gov't spring should be 32 coils like the new one you bought. The old one is 27 or 28 coils. Looks like it was cut??? Gov't recoil spring life is in the 2500 round range.

Also, keep in mind that Springfield uses a Ti firing pin that, in diameter, is between a .45 and a 9/38 super pin. I don't know if they use a special spring.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Go with the new recoil spring and save the firing pin spring for later... JMO.. Cheers.. Ron

7. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I agree with the old guy from Tennessee. :nod:

8. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Shorter spring is what I removed from the pistol. I bought the pistol new and it has not been touched by anyone else. One of the first things I did was count the coils and came to the same conclusion. The SA Loaded came with a FLGR (2-pc) which I replaced with a standard GI guide rod and plug within a few hundred rounds. Other then the dented ejected cartridges and some mangled brass from +P loads I have had no failures.

Yeah, that's why the spring kit looked like a good deal because of the extra power firing pin spring. I think I'll swap the OEM spring back in.

I'm going to e-mail Wolff and see what they say.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I have a stack of those XP firing pin springs if you need another. I figure if i ever lose one I'll need a spare... Haven't worn one out yet.. Cheers.. Ron

10. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    OK - Here's the Deal...

Called SA and was on hold for a few minutes while customer service reps with busy with other customers. So I hung up and called Wolff. Got right through and then spoke with a technician.

- The wrong recoil spring was installed at the factory (in Brazil). He suggested that the recoil spring I had was about 14.8#.
    - The SA fps is a Wolff Extra-Extra Power FPS. Only need the Extra Power fps.

Bottom line - the Wolff springs I installed in the gun are correct. What was in there wasn't necessarily correct. SA Loaded owner's manual says 16# recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring. Too bad they weren't in my gun.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Seems I learn something new every day.

***UPDATE***
    Went to the range tonight to try out the new springs with some Blazer FMJ, Speer Gold Dot JHP, and Winchester T +P, all 230 gr.

Range Report - :20_003:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Good to know.....love the avatar

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted