Les Baer Replacing beaver tail on a Les Baer Custom Carry

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by B81, May 10, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I screwed up the other day, and dinged up the beaver tail on my Les Baer Custom Carry. The gun functions fine. The damage is purely cosmetic.

I see that I can buy a replacement Les Baer beaver tail from Brownells for around $50. I'm thinking that since I'm replacing the beavertail with an identical part, the amount of fitting will be relatively minor, and I would only need to modify the beaver tail itself. Since I would only be filing on the replacement part (not the frame), the risk is relatively low. At worst, I just lose the $50 I spent on the replacement part and either try again with a new part or give up and put the old one back in.

Am I crazy to try to do this myself? What kind of world of pain would I be getting into to try and install this myself?

2. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Fitting the part is not technically difficult. You just need some time, patience, and attention to detail.

I imagine that replacing a Les Baer part with another Les Bear part would require little to no fitting and blending.

However, if it turns out that you need to start hacking up metal, and you don't have adequate tools to do the job and you want to do it yourself, then be prepared to end up spending a little more than $50.

If the damage isn't effecting function or feel, why not just wait a week and see how you feel about it? You might not care in a few days.

If its really bothering you and you HAVE to get a new part, I would recommend buying the tools and learning how to do the fix yourself. You'll probably end liking the gun even more when your done.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    B81 likes this.

3. sharps71

sharps71 New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I'd call LB and discuss before you decide on anything. Obviously wont be free, but it's been my experience Les is very reasonable when it comes to repairing his guns. Regardless of why it needs repair.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    B81 likes this.
  4. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    Even though its a Baer part going on a Baer gun it will probably require some fitting. The arm that blocks the trigger from moving could require some tuning. You want it to work correctly and not drag on the trigger bow. I have never replaced one of the high grip models that didn't need some blending to get it to look right. If the original is just dinged shouldn't be too difficult to fix it yourself or send it to someone to get the dings out and refinish it.

B81 and gaijin like this.
  5. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Knock down the ding with a fine file and stone, then cold blue? How bad can you "ding" the BTGS? pics?

grip safeties end up without bluing anyway, if you're actually using/carrying the pistol

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted