Replacing Kimber Pro Guide Rod - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Batty, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I want to get rid of the Kimber guide rod and replace it with something that I don't need use a take down tool with. I would like recommendations, including links or part numbers. I don't know what I should be getting, just a rod/plug? Should I also replace the spring while I'm at it?

Is replacing the guide rod even feasible?

I have a Kimber Aegis Elite Pro.

TIA!

2. Teufelhunde

Teufelhunde Active Member

Jan 9, 2019
    I can take my Kimber Ultra's apart without a tool. I can't imagine that it would not work the same with a 4" gun. Here is a Youtube vid on doing it with a 3"....

Even if you do need a tool, what is the big deal really? I hear people hating on it all the time, and all you need is a paper clip. Easy Peasy.....

YMMV

Lon

Raydog1911 likes this.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
  4. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    switching from a guide rod to a GI style system in a reverse plug gun can make re-assembly a pain.

At least your is in 9mm, my 10mm with a 24lb recoil spring is work getting back together.

5. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
  6. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Batty, the NDZ Kit works great, that's what I use. The NDZ kit I bought came with two different sizes, I use the short tool for the Ultra's, the longer works well in the Pro size. The price for the NDZ kit has increased since I bought mine several years ago.

Batty likes this.
  7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    You still have to carry extra stuff with that kit. A box of paperclips will last you a lifetime and a few will take up no room.

william adams likes this.
  8. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
  9. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I've used Wilson Combats recoil assembly that includes a flatware spring. The system smoothed out a pro carry an amazing amount. Guide rod is a bit shorter and therefore dis assembly and reassembly are much easier. Good service, better function, good price and increased spring life.

Mike Meints likes this.
  10. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Well, what I did was order the NDZ performance kit, and since I am getting close to the 800 round recommended change out on the recoil spring, I ordered a new one from Wolff. It was between that one and the WC Flat, and I have heard good things about both. So I’ll give it a go and see, and if I am unhappy I will order the WC.

Also, it’s not that I mind using some sort of tool to take down the pistol, what I despise is the little L tool. It’s unwieldy and I have noticed it is causing nicks that make me unhappy.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, you guys rock as usual [​IMG]

2sharp2 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted