Reproduction Colt Gold Cup NM rebuild opinion

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Coolsound, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    I kinda collect old Colt Gold cups. I bought this reproduction Colt Series 70 Gold Cup NM a while back and it has been sitting in the closet unfired. I'm so spoiled with the higher end guns now that I don't think I will ever shoot the Colt in its current state. Do you think it worth the effort and $2.5-3K to send it to Luke Volkmann for a rebuild or should I just sell it?

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-o5870a1-gold-cup-ntlmtc-45-5-bl

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I think you should just shoot it.

xerts1191 and KTXdm9 like this.

3. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Shoot it or sell it and buy a real one (Colt National match pre '70's series.

4. Coolsound

Aug 17, 2018
    ^^ I already have a couple unfired 70's GCNM. I want to keep those original and not messing with them... Been trying to find a 1965 NM but those don't come up for sale often.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    This. Either that, or sell it or trade it to buy something you will shoot.

6. hotshot357

hotshot357 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Sounds like you are not going to shoot it. You might as well sell it and buy something you will shoot.

KTXdm9 likes this.
  7. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Depends on how one looks at it...

[​IMG]

I have a shooty collection so I shoot every gun I own. I do collect coins and stamps for things to look at.

I have a 2015 GCNM MkIV Series 70 (bottom) and a 1979 GCNM MkIV Series 70 (top). Put either of these in a Ransom rest and play with ammo and I can get sub 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Just like my Baer which is sold to do that. The new Colt GCNM is not so much a reproduction as an entirely new pistol that Colt put the same name on.

[​IMG]

I sort of collect Colt Gold Cups also and have gone through 20 or so but have 12 in my shooty collection now. Below my 66 GCNM, my 79 GCNM MkIV Series 70 and a 1988 GCNM MkIV Series 80, which still has the collet or "finger" barrel bushing.

[​IMG]

8. Coolsound

Aug 17, 2018
    ^^ Thanks. I consider the old unfired, in box GCNMs collector pieces in my collection that I will not be shooting them. The 2015 GCNM MkIV Series 70, however, is a shooter gun to me thus the question is it good enough as a base gun to build on given the wait time and funds require?

9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I have a 1967 GCNM in original box, papers,test target and the little round Colt sight tool.
    Not for sale. But you can look
    I’m the second owner. I inherited this as a gift as well as others from a former employer who purchased it new.
    8787E527-3DEB-4B22-BB58-7E31D3AC521C.jpeg 9000C28A-A735-41B2-8548-7D8421FDD7F6.jpeg

Gimpster and Coolsound like this.
  10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The 67 with the arched MSH is nice. I shot bullseye in prep school and college and remember when you could order them with arched or flat. Most folk picked flat.

Anyway, I think the new GCNMs would be great to send off with a pile of money and have made into just what you want. I usually talk to the gunsmith about what they think.

I did buy a 2017 GCNM in 9mm to go with my 2015 in 45ACP. Again another nice pistol.

[​IMG]

I look forward to shooting one next to the other on the same day. Just like I enjoy shooting my 1988 GCNM MkIV in SS Series 80 next to my 1990 Delta Gold Cup on the same day. I did replace the rubber wrap around grips that came on these with wood stocks by the way.

[​IMG]

One thought is over the years I have seen a few LNIB pistols stored in the box that ended up being RIB (Rusted In Box). Just a thought.

Capthobo likes this.
  11. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Gold Cups are my least favorite hosts to build on.
    Rear sight is always a compromise, as is the wide trigger.
    Not to mention the front sight cut interface with the slide
    top serrations.

P.S.
    And the factory frontstrap serrations.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    WWB and Steve Owens like this.
  12. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    Perhaps this was the same reason Luke Volkman refused to work on my Gold Cup Trophy. Luckily, I sent it to Evolution Armory and they did an awesome job for me!

13. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I would have to agree with Pistolwretch after my last bout with a recent gold cup.. Was difficult at best to get a great trigger, and ended up having to swap the original trigger out for and Ultra lightweight WC trigger to get the weight down. A number of other issues to many to mention, but did finally go out in order.

14. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    One thought is over the years I have seen a few LNIB pistols stored in the box that ended up being RIB (Rusted In Box). Just a thought.

Yes I’m totally aware of this. For that reason i keep it wrapped in Brownels brown gun oil paper as I do all my queens.

15. Humbucking

Humbucking Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
  16. Coolsound

Aug 17, 2018
    Thanks all for the good inputs. I will not go down the rebuild route with the GCNM.

17. Humbucking

Humbucking Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I would also not mod a clean/straight original GC. Along with the one I posted above, I have another 1977 GCMN that I bought a while back. It was a bit boogered with a Millett Crimp front sight. It is currently with Dave at Evolution Armory. I have no problem using a boogered GCMN as a base gun (as long as the smith is happy to work on one). Evolution Armory has been welding up holes, re-milling, checkering, performing general magic on it!

Gimpster likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted