1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years, I've lived with Craig Spegel grips - used some others, but preferred Spegel.

I've come by a couple of extra wheel guns of late, I'm not bubbling to the top of Mr. Spegel's working list fast enough.

What wood grips have you folks developed a preference for on S&W J- and K-frames and Ruger GP100 guns?

My current J guns wear Spegel's boot grips, sacrificing a dab of finger placement for concealment. My K is likewise.

Thoughts, recommendations - I'm open to whatever has worked for other users. I have tried one pair of VZ grips - good feeling, very lightly textured, but too darn heavy compared to wood's weight

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,754 Posts
Up until recently I would have recommended Ahrends Grips for all of your S&W revolver needs. However, Kim shut down his business earlier this year. Resale market can be crazy but they pop up on forums and flea bay...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Up until recently I would have recommended Ahrends Grips for all of your S&W revolver needs. However, Kim shut down his business earlier this year. Resale market can be crazy but they pop up on forums and flea bay...
+1

I wasn't sure why all of Kim's grips suddenly increased in price $40-$60 on eBay. Now I know why...

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,754 Posts
+1

I wasn't sure why all of Kim's grips suddenly increased in price $40-$60 on eBay. Now I know why...
He never did recover from losing his wife. She ran the business end and it got away from him fast. Filed for bankruptcy to try and recover but was not able to work it out with the money monkeys...

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
I recently purchased a set of Hogue in cocobolo. Very much pleased with them.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
If you really want a ‘J’ Frame to point properly and have its recoil tamed try a set of Herrertt’s Shooting Ace stocks.
The front strap is open and the back strap is enclosed plus a good sized filler behind the trigger guard thus moving your hand down and back. This stops the muzzle high pointing for which ‘J’ frames snubbies are prone.
The open front strap also gives much better access to the grip when needing to draw rapidly.
FAEFD85A-F561-4030-8847-D85DFE2E151F.jpeg
0307130B-0781-4278-893F-DBD74752D8B2.jpeg
7050082B-FE6C-43F2-88A7-310BF7E01FD1.jpeg
F60B3F3E-FD22-4837-A41A-D0D48E8280A3.jpeg

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you really want a ‘J’ Frame to point properly and have its recoil tamed try a set of Herrertt’s Shooting Ace stocks.
The front strap is open and the back strap is enclosed plus a good sized filler behind the trigger guard thus moving your hand down and back. This stops the muzzle high pointing for which ‘J’ frames snubbies are prone.
The open front strap also gives much better access to the grip when needing to draw rapidly. View attachment 475787 View attachment 475789 View attachment 475791 View attachment 475793
the photos will send me off to do some reading - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The open front strap also gives much better access to the grip when needing to draw rapidly. View attachment 475787 View attachment 475789 View attachment 475791 View attachment 475793
by the way, nice minimalist holster - too many offered today weigh half as much as the pistol.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
That’s a
by the way, nice minimalist holster - too many offered today weigh half as much as the pistol.
Lobo Gun Leather from several years ago when Ray Cory owned it. The people he sold the name to after he retired are making trash at about three times Ray’s prices.
Ray made quality items. Beware the new.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s a

Lobo Gun Leather from several years ago when Ray Cory owned it. The people he sold the name to after he retired are making trash at about three times Ray’s prices.
Ray made quality items. Beware the new.
I have 2 kframe lobo holsters dating back several years - good stuff. One for a 3 inch rode thousands of miles as my preferred work holster. Looked at the newbies stuff and passed some time back. Next best I’ve found is Davis leather - old guy, makes traditional holsters boned up and done right. Only makes 7-8 models, doesn’t make for every gun out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts