1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say that 5 times fast....
I have recently bought myself a revolver... (a couple actually) They are .357 mag. guns and I have heard/read that shooting .38 spl. is permissible with the notation that fouling can possibly create a problem of then shooting the longer magnum round if the chamber isn't properly cleaned.
Having acknowledged that I can follow that logic, can I take that same logic even a little further. Is it also possible to shoot .38 super or even 9 mm through the same gun if you took the same precautions.
It is not my intention to do so but would like to hear the logic behind a yes or no answer.
Please enlighten me if you have science/physics to support your answer rather than just an opinion.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: Karl Beining

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my friend don't do that.. For a lot of reasons. What kind of revolvers are you getting into? I ask BC I am an avid revolver collector myself.
This is what was sitting alongside the Rabbit Hole.
IMG_4164.jpg

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,838 Posts
You have to look at case/cartridge dimensions to understand what fits and what doesn't. For instance, the 9mm has a tapered case and the base is a larger diameter than .38spl/.357mag so they won' fit in the chambers, plus 9mm is rimless so unless the cylinder is cut so the round headspaces on the case mouth like RG's Blackhawk you'd need moonclips to hold the round in place and allow for ejection. If you shoot a lot of .38spl through your .357s just scrub the chambers well after range sessions and build up shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not readily no, and likely not super accurately if you do the mods to make it work.

https://tkcustom.com/services/machining-sw
Yeah my friend don't do that.. For a lot of reasons. What kind of revolvers are you getting into? I ask BC I am an avid revolver collector myself.
You have to look at case/cartridge dimensions to understand what fits and what doesn't. For instance, the 9mm has a tapered case and the base is a larger diameter than .38spl/.357mag so they won' fit in the chambers, plus 9mm is rimless so unless the cylinder is cut so the round headspaces on the case mouth like RG's Blackhawk you'd need moonclips to hold the round in place and allow for ejection. If you shoot a lot of .38spl through your .357s just scrub the chambers well after range sessions and build up shouldn't be an issue.
Headspace issue don't do it.
I have no intentions of doing this. I just wanted to know the physics of the answer and you have all shared good info.....
Now... to plan a range run for the blaster!!!

·
Vendor
3,107 Posts
I have no intentions of doing this. I just wanted to know the physics of the answer and you have all shared good info.....
Now... to plan a range run for the blaster!!!
Also, when I was shooting a lot more revolvers, and had time to load ammo, I routinely loaded 38 level loads in 357 cases to avoid a carbon ring to clean up :)

·
Premium Member
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@WC145 gave you the answers you seek.

Need any more .357’s? It’s a slippery slope next to that rabbit hole....

I have, I think, 19 revolvers in .357 and it’s not even my favorite cartridge.

I don’t know where they all came from.,,,

BTW, yours look great!
Let me know what you got in 4" + for around Tree Fiddy! :roflmaro::roflmaro:

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,465 Posts
This is what was sitting alongside the Rabbit Hole.
View attachment 551451
You are now well and truly fuqued! Your FFL will become well acquainted with boxes coming in from Gunbroker auctions. Hopefully he will do multiple transfers on a single form.
Yeah, it's that bad!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,838 Posts
@WC145 gave you the answers you seek.

Need any more .357’s? It’s a slippery slope next to that rabbit hole....

I have, I think, 19 revolvers in .357 and it’s not even my favorite cartridge.

I don’t know where they all came from.,,,

BTW, yours look great!
I've only got one .357 (I think), several .38s, and some big bores - .41s, .44s, .45s. .357mag is a great cartridge but wicked loud and sharp, I give me .38 snubby or something that starts with a 4.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I've only got one .357 (I think), several .38s, and some big bores - .41s, .44s, .45s. .357mag is a great cartridge but wicked loud and sharp, I give me .38 snubby or something that starts with a 4.
Exactly!!! A .357 magnum was the first center fire I bought oh those many years ago....

I don’t like the muzzle blast or the sharp report... I think that’s where my hearing loss started...

But, as Karl said, with .38 special level loaded they are fine.

Or 6 grains of Unique under a 158 grain SWC.

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
309 Posts
I have an old Ruger Blackhawk that has a 357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. I have shot a bunch of 9mm through it with the 9mm cylinder installed.
Headspace is a concern. Bore/rifling isn't/shouldn't be an issue all are bored 0.346 and grooved 0.355. At least SAAMI says 9mm, 357Mag, 357Sig, 38Spec, 38Super, and 380Auto all share the bore.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts