Revolvers for Pin Shooting

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by rmac, Feb 9, 2019.

1. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    20190209_154340.jpg 20190209_154045.jpg 20190209_151449.jpg This week here in Mississippi has been great for shooting.
    With deer and duck seasons and over an being to old and lazy to carry around the paraphernalia for rifle shooting, pistol and shotgun shooting now comes to the forefront.
    Did a bit of pin practice earlier in the week but this afternoon was dedicated to it.
    We play the game a bit differently down here than the boys in Michigan. 45 auto only, either wheel gun or bottom feeder. 4' by 8' table 42" high with pins 3 1/2' from back edge (table shown is 5' x 8' so I can offset a second row of pins for practice). Pins spaced at 15" intervals from center pin all on one level, no double-decker tables. Tables for competition have a 2" rail on the sides as all pins must go off the rear.
    The match is 4 tables.
    Open sight and optic class for guns.
    For competitors no age distinction, class is dead or alive.
    Bullets, JHP's and LSWC 200 grain minimum and must chronograph 900 minimum (This virtually eliminates bounce-backs).
    Only 6 rounds allowed. The time is from the start buzzer until last shot. Any pin left standing adds 1 1/2 seconds to the time, any pin left laying on the table adds 1 second. Remember the old pin shooting rule: you can't miss fast enough to win.
    Today was revolver day for me: the gun, a 625 JM with 7.5 moa triangle Delta Point in first pix.
    Second pix is the 4 pins shot for course of fire. (The pins were replaced in the same spot so I could see how I was grouping. I square up on the center pin so that one always has the smallest group with the size of the group increasing to the outer pins).
    Last is the dirty gun pix.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015

3. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    Looks like a lot of fun!

rmac, Scaramouche and BennyAdeline like this.
  4. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Wish I could join!

rmac and Scaramouche like this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Looks fun! Wish the snow was over here in Western Colorado, But @Scaramouche needs the water! LOL

KS95B40, rmac, gps man and 2 others like this.
  6. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    My brother in law and I went to a local club about 30 years ago and they were all shooting 45 ACP’s. They either thought we wouldn’t hit anything or that we would be too slow with our revolvers?
    We did pretty well but weren’t allowed to bring our guns back. They were 44 mags and ruined the pins we shot at. When hit, the pins rarely stayed on the table.

7. BennyAdeline

Nov 26, 2018
    .44 mag makes .45 acp feel like a kiss from a baby lol. I bet those pins were flyin!

wcanterbury and rmac like this.
  8. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I've seen @rmac shoot a 44, he's got no problem plinking steel at 50 yards and shoots a 4" 44 magnum like I shoot a .38, guy knows guns.

41 Charlie, Colorado Sonny and rmac like this.
  9. BennyAdeline

Nov 26, 2018
    That’s impressive! Some guys just seem to be able to handle the stout rounds very naturally or because they put in the work that most wont.

I was at the range doing some drills with my model 13 recently. A guy asked if I was shooting a .357 revolver and I said yes. He asked me what my trick was to shooting .357 so flat.

I had to show him my .38s lol

10. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Very nice, rmac! Love your range, and that Mississippi weather!

* Nice groups on those pins!

1911 dawg and KS95B40 like this.
  11. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    @Bully, the distance in this country has pretty much been standardised at 25 feet. This is following what Second Chance set for their distance. Incidentally, if you are not familiar with the old Second Chance Shoot Google can bring lots of data and pictures.
    After a 24 year layoff the shoot returned last year but prior commitments did not allow me to go. Will be there this year for sure. The cost of the trip is well paid back just to hear Richard's incessant prattle over the P.A. system.
    Now it is more a shoot for all genres of guns. The info from last year and for the upcoming June shoot can be found at PINSHOOT.com.
    Back to equipment: the mount is by John Allchin. The one pictured is the STS Mini. Almost all of the mini and micro red dots can be mounted on it.
    For the JM's with the shorter barrels it is close to ideal.
    If you get really serious about shooting steel (just read your post) the current hot set up is a Model 929 with comp and a C-More Slide Ride mounted with a Kickstand mount to get the dot closer to bore line and the ability to change dot size.
    The sight I'm using is a DeltaPoint Pro with 7.5 moa triangle.
    The Vortex Venom with 8 moa dot on the Allchin mount is good and sits a bit lower. My preference is the bigger window of the DeltaPoint.
    Have fun with your J.M.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    41 Charlie and Scaramouche like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted