RIA 9mm

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Thomas L Jones, Oct 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thomas L Jones

Thomas L Jones Active Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Tried it out today,
    Wen't to the range in Vancouver Wa today, to sight in my PRE 64 30,06.Walmart had 150 grain federals for 11.47 a box, man those old Winchesters shoot !
    Decided to Blast a box of 115 hardball through my New RIA 9mm.
    Very impressed, its just fun, it will serve the purpose i bought it for very well,
    An inexpensive practice pistol. i can afford to shoot 100 rounds a week factory ammo.
    And i might just take it along as a camp gun when i go back to eastern Oregon next weekend.
    Had a mild scare this last weekend. 2 am i am 50 yards from my tent with my pants around my ankles when i heard a Wolf howl. I was probably in no danger at all but it was not far away, and all i had to protect myself with was a roll of tp.
    My 10mm or 45 would be a better choice but a 115 grain hardball would likley discourage a Wolf or a lion, A big black bear might eat up quite a few !
    The one negative on the Ria is the MEC GAR 10 round mag. Works great with 7 rounds but the rounds nose dive if you put a 8th round, I bought 2 mettle form 10 rounders on sale at midway. Worked to perfection.
    But it functioned perfectly and was more accurate than i am by far. pleased with the purchase. 500.00 bucks bought a very usable pistol.
    ...tj3006
    T

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I had a Rock, aside from being heavy, it was a nice gun at a great price and the groups it shot were as good as anything else I own

3. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I've been tempted to get one of their 22 TCM/9mm combo guns. 22 TCM sounds like fun - big bang, and there is a 9mm barrel and recoil spring.

TexasPatriot59 likes this.
  4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    22tcm is a blast! Literally, I have a double stack TCM! Plus having a 9mm barrel is advantageous.

Shocker2000 likes this.
  5. grayghostforge

grayghostforge Hit it while its hot

May 17, 2017
    I would have a couple mags full of Underwood ammo in wolf/bear country.

6. techiede

techiede Active Member

Oct 30, 2014
    My RIA Ultra FS is my favorite 9 to shoot and one of my favorite 1911's to shoot as well.

Am now approaching 10k rounds and the only work I have done to it are changing the hammer & recoil springs @ 5K and replacing the fiber with green.

Had a few bobbles during the 1st 100 or so rounds and has been perfect ever since.

FWIW - my factory mag has been fine and I also use CMC mags.

7. Joseph Medugno

Joseph Medugno Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I have an Ultra FS that runs any 9mm and my factory mags are also perfect.

8. TexasPatriot59

TexasPatriot59 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2018
    7464E511-02AE-4CD0-9D55-66BD691A6FAF.jpeg My new RIA Ultra FS 22TCM/9mm. Stripped, cleaned, lubed and ready for trip to the range for the big bang :)

9. TexasPatriot59

TexasPatriot59 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2018
    The 22 TCM experience today was awesome. The fireball is huuuge and the sound is more of a deep “boom” or “whomp” than a bang. Definitely got the attention of shooter down the line. The 9mm experience was excellent as well. Had to experiment with support hand grip position a little as placement’s different than how I hold my S&W Compact 2.0 and Shield. Dialed it in though after a few magazines and started getting acceptable groupings in short order. She’s a keeper.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted