RIA - Rock Ultra FS (45ACP) "the sleeper"

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by villdetwink, May 14, 2019.

1. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    I hate to admit, I have until recently looked down on Rock Island Armory.
    Even though there are many reviews out there touting how great they are.

So, when I came across a ROCK Ultra FS at the LGS the other day...I took a look, and was more than a little impressed with the overall fit, it was literally Rock solid.
    So, I took the plunge and brought it home.

IMG_2042 sq.jpg

After, spending a good hour cleaning out all the shipping lube/oil from every nook and cranny...honestly I have never seen a pistol caked in so much oil.
    I swapped out the oil soaked fiber pipe for a fresh one, added some lube, and took her out to the range Sunday for a quick 100rds.
    Zero issues, a little sluggish, however she shot very well...I was impressed.

RIA states a 500rd break in required...
    However, being the tinkerer I am, I decided to upgrade all the springs with Wilson Combat.
    I also installed some VZ Operator Magwell grips, as I didn't really care for the standard grips that came with the pistol.

View attachment 265117

Being that the rest of the week is going to be a whole crap-fest of nasty weather...
    I decided to take her out the range again today, and see how she liked the upgrades.

IMG_2055 sq.jpg

Target: 16rds of S&B 230gr @10yds
    95924CD4-325B-4AF9-B089-93B532B3FC72.jpg

I may want to polish up a few things, though even with just a spring change, she is much smoother.

All-in-all, I should have given Rock Island a chance before now. Yes they are plain Jane Parkerized, have MIM parts, and yes it is a "budget" 1911...but I have to say, I kind of like it.

I think I will call her "the sleeper"

Well, Thank you for taking the time to read my brief report on the RIA - ROCK Ultra FS.
    Have a swell day!

D4B4E085-65B8-431A-9784-B99854D58B2A.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    If it works, it is good!

Mike Meints and villdetwink like this.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks for the review. I'm always interested in reading what folks have to say about so-called "budget guns". It seems that a lot of them are pretty good.

KS95B40 and villdetwink like this.
  4. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks again for the review. I have been thinking of buying the same model in 9MM after Gun Nuts Media posted several good reviews of it on YouTube.

villdetwink likes this.
  5. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    My first .38 super was a RIA. I wanted to see what all the hub-bub about .38S without a big investment. So I laid out $400 shot it.... sold it and bought/built 7 others.... I also got a RIA .45 as my first 1911 to tear apart further than just barrel cleaning. It became my testbed for learning how things worked. After becoming familiar enough, I gave it to a friend for his first 1911. It moved him from plastic to metal.... I must add that neither of those guns failed to shoot a single round as long as I owned them.

6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I had the same gun as the OP, in 9mm, way back in the day. Aside from being heavy it was a great gun and was a very accurate tack driver ;)

7. Ingramite

Ingramite On The Lost Highway

Sep 16, 2018
    Thanks for your review.
    I've owned a couple and liked them fine.

villdetwink likes this.
  8. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    I agree this would be a great option as a first 1911. Definitely a pistol that you can learn on, and gain intimate knowledge to be able work on and build out.
    Awesome you were able to pass it forward, and get another addicted!

TheCollector likes this.
  9. techiede

techiede Active Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Have the same one but in 9mm and it has been rock :cry: solid. Over 8k rounds through it with only a couple of FTF's in the 1st 100 rounds.

Only things I've done is change springs (at about 1k rounds) and changed the FO to green.

Very reliable and more than accurate enough for my needs.

Gary1911A1 and villdetwink like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted