RIA TAC Makeover

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Cdenim, Feb 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Just recently grabbed up one of the RIA tac guns. This one being the standard not having the adjustable sights, front slide serrations, and G10 grips. Which i didn't need bc i knew I was goiing to completely give this thing a makeover. One of my absolute favorites has been the SA TRP Operator. Owned a few of them and was about to start hunting for another when i came across this. Now had I thought I would be getting anything remotely close to a TRP for $530, I would have been in for a real world bitch slap to the face..but given the brands relatively reliable, inexpensive, bang for your buck reputation maybe all it needed was a Wilson's reverse guide rod plug and I'd have a Perfect 10 only in .45...lol. anyway here's where i got her to so far... First.. not a fan of the Parkerized finish. Has the look and feel of a new motorcycle chain. I wanted a blued look... I really like and use cerakote all the time soooo, I got creative. Mixing some H-127 with a little E-100 blackout (I honestly don't remember how much of either) and going real heavy I ended up with something i'm very happy with. But before this I gave the mainspring and back of the frame a little more hand friendly rounded touch. Made some room for my fat fingers with a little trigger guard undercut. Took that 3 squared trigger and gave it my modern take on the sirca 80's national match treatment. And gave here a much better front end. Taking her to the range tonight and will update with how she runs.. 20200206_115829.jpg PicsArt_02-06-04.27.22.jpg 20200206_111735.jpg PicsArt_02-06-11.37.23.jpg PicsArt_02-06-12.13.28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Nice transformation.

Cdenim likes this.

3. ReaperCustom45

ReaperCustom45 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    That trigger looks much better. May have to do that to mine. Good work.

Cdenim likes this.
  4. das_dude

das_dude “Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude Supporting Addict

Nov 2, 2015
    Nice work, love it!

Cdenim likes this.
  5. SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cdenim likes this.
  6. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Range report... you can see by each mag grouping it is honestly very accurate. Targeted at 10 yards. First time firing it and ran perfect. Ate through the range cheepo rounds no issues. Stepped it up to some critical duty for 20 again no problems. trigger got a little muchy on return twords the end so I replaced the bow, gave it one more stoning and right back to crisp and positive. The guns a little on the heavy side with the full dust cover rail, which i like do to the predictable recoil. So first impressions of the Rock Island tac.... Accurate, Surprisingly very smooth, First part of break in with 200 rounds and not so much as a fail to feed issue. A tiny bit heavier than say a SA 1911 A-1 but really do to the full dust cover and felt the same as the TRP operator. And it didn't make anything feel slugish at all. So I think I'm $650 all in, including the cerakote, and for that price.. Anyone on the fence or considering one, go for it. Liked it so much, I've decided to keep upgrading it and will post regular updates in the coming weeks. Starting with some new sights....

Attached Files:

Kip, Dub, RN47 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Felt so much nicer and lighter with its makeover. Plus I'm a sucker for the satin brushed ss over a blued gun.

8. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    some backside shots. Not at all a bob tail, just much more comfortable in the hand

Attached Files:

WC145, Kip, RN47 and 2 others like this.
  9. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Triggers are the one part of RIA's guns where I think their quality falls short. Not in the trigger pull so much, but in the actual part. They tend to run undersized a bit and feel loose or sloppy, at least in the guns that I owned.

I traded mine away long before I started my path towards Bubba Smiffin and now I regret letting at least one of those get away. This thread just reinforces my "trader's remorse."

Dub likes this.
  10. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Looks good. Couldn't you install, loctite and file the trigger overtravel set screw from the rear and then it wouldn't be sticking out?

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Looks to me like it hasn't been adjusted into place yet.

Cdenim likes this.
  12. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah, was kind of thinking the same thing...idk

Cdenim likes this.
  13. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Great looking enhancements, @Cdenim

That beast looks sharp.....been thinking that my RIA would really look sharp with the same high gloss Cerakote ("graphite", I believe it was) that I did on another frame. I'd like to do the whole thing...murdered out. The contrasting controls on yours looks great, too.

Well stated. This very accurately describes my RIA TAC.

Pull weight is okay and breaks cleanly, but some lateral slop is certainly present on take up.

Took it out for it's first range session yesterday. I have no complaints. There are a couple things with the safeties that I plan on examining when the round count get's up there and the first detail strip is done. I may swap the trigger at that time, too. This gun will be the work horse I use during future 10mm load work up.

Cdenim likes this.
  14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Dang, now I've gotta go find a replacement for my old TAC 10mm.

This is the trigger I would put in it after a blackout cerakote job . . . . .

Screenshot_20200207-072256_Chrome.jpg

Cdenim, duketbrd88, Dub and 1 other person like this.
  15. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    No it is, just looks like its way out there because all the material that was filled off.

duketbrd88 likes this.
  16. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    This would highly benefit from a nicer trigger, as would a few other components on this tac. And thats just it, it's a good sound gun. its the quality of the parts that i feel may lend to its performance. Quality for the $$$ I think its fantastic, quality for the addict... a little short.

duketbrd88, ZoidMeister and Dub like this.
  17. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Actually.. I stand corrected. 100%. I hadn't set it back after working on it. You are sharp as a tack, as your reputation states..

duketbrd88 likes this.
  18. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The "Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery, ESQ," if you will.

(The "Village Idiot" in plain engritch)

Z

Cdenim and duketbrd88 like this.
  19. Cdenim

Cdenim Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Then pardon me sir as i admire your idiotness.. lol This is why this forum is what it is.. The knowledge is inspiring. Just ordered a new ignition along with the trigger. A quiet evening, a man, a couple stoning files and a jig....In a world where everthings measured to a thousandth of an inch ( Said in the movie preview announcer voice )

20. duketbrd88

Sep 1, 2011
    Thought something looked off with that. Good call zoid...

ZoidMeister and Cdenim like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted