Ride the thumb safety or not?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Greg3458, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Curious how many people ride the thumb safety on their 1911/2011 when shooting. And if you do, any concerns about the hand position not engaging the grip safety properly? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    EDIT: My thumb always rides on top of the safety, regardless of which hand I'm shooting with.

I am now shooting pistols mostly left-handed as my left eye is in better shape than the right. :) So I need a ambi safety and it has to function crisply from either side. And I prefer a install that takes little upwards thumb pressure for the safety to engage/pop-up. So I high-ride the thumb safety to maintain control of it when shooting. From this position it is just a little flick of the thumb to engage it when desired. And this worked well for me in my 15+ years of USPSA shooting. Without ever having a AD I might add. :D

My grip safeties are disabled because with my rather large hands and very high grip I seldom if ever get the grip safety compressed enough to allow the pistol to fire. On one pistol I even went to far as to have my pistolsmith friend pin the safety in the compressed position so it didn't move around on me, but I prefer to have the grip safety in the released position as that allows a slightly higher grip on the back of the gun.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    mikemac likes this.

3. seanarms

seanarms Member

May 24, 2018
    I don’t. I find it gives me better control on follow up shots. Also gives me better control when transitioning from one target to the next.

4. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I ride the thumb safety but not the trigger.

5. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Same here. Just saw a new training exercise from Wilson Combat and it's interesting to see Mr. Wilson's technique, especially in slow motion. I'm rather lame at being able to link videos, apologies.

6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I never,never ride a trigger .bad habit IMHO.
    This is the last person I saw ride a Trigger and he’s dead

2DC841F1-5982-46A1-B56F-8C814D1EF6DF.jpeg

WC145, awmp, Whiten and 6 others like this.
  7. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    No, I do not ride the trigger -- especially on a 1911...( but yes, I ride the thumb safety and it has no effect on my control of the grip safety ...).

8. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I watched a recent Wilson Combat video featuring Mike Seeklander demonstrating that he always rides the thumb safety and that it allows for a faster support hand fit in doing so as the heel of the left support hand falls right into proper hold under the right thumb immediately.

9. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    When I’m shooting 25yrds and out yes but up close and fast no.

10. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I'm assuming that's a typo in your thread title.

I do ride the thumb safety.

11. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend

Aug 29, 2017
    I wouldnt know how to shoot any other way. Ive seen people put their thumb under the safety and dont see how they dont engage safety under recoil. That's why they call it a " gas pedal" or used to in go fast shooting. Just seems natural to me. I shot USPSA about every weekend for 15 years.

Yoemen66 likes this.
  12. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Ride the Safety until ready to shoot then the finger moves to the trigger.

13. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Well, fixing that typo certainly changes things, doesn't it? I'd normally limit riding the trigger to full auto weapons.

I've been shooting 1911s going on 50 years now, I do not ride the thumb safety and have never inadvertently engaged it under recoil, and my thumb rides just below it when I shoot.

I have never seen or heard the thumb safety called a "gas pedal", though I have seen thumb rests for your off hand thumb used with the thumbs forward grip and they are called gas pedals.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted