1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: As an update, I got over this within a couple days. I now ride the safety and it feels really good and natural. I don’t know if it was my initial grip or what, but now it’s 100% comfortable and shooting any other way now feels weird.

I just picked up my new 1911 Dan Wesson Vigil Commander .45 ACP from the shop. It's beautiful and I'm in love, it's my first 1911. The recoil is MUCH MUCH better than my plastic SA Hellcat 9mm. The muzzle flip is slightly more dramatic, but the recoil feels so much more smooth. I put 100 rounds of Blazer 230gr FMJ through it.

I was hitting bullseye after bullseye from 25 yards out, I couldn't believe it. I feel like I could take the d**k off a fly from 50 yards out with this thing, it's incredible. I could barely hit paper at 10-15 yards with my SA Hellcat. It will be what I carry from now on for sure, I'm just totally in love with the thing.

The only issue I have is that I seem to read everywhere that you should put your thumb on top of the safety with a 1911. When I do this, my thumb gets absolutely destroyed after 16 shots or so. The bite in my palms and such is easily alleviated by not being a little bitch, but the thumb bite is just super uncomfortable to the point it draws attention from me. If I hold the pistol with thumbs forward still, but my thumb under the safety, it's soooo much more comfortable and I shoot really well like this. I don't know if it's really an issue or not, but I know lots of people say this because it also ensures you don't forget to disengage the safety in a dire situation. Should I just grip the way I feel comfortable and train lots by pulling from the holster and disengaging the safety on draw to make up for it, or somehow adjust to putting my thumb on top of the safety?

·
Known Agitator
3,139 Posts
Out of curiosity, what part of the safety is hurting your thumb? I have had to do some filing on a couple of thumb safety's because they stuck out past the frame a little bit and killed my right hand when shooting them.

I think thumbs high is the best way for me to shoot, but if it hurts your hand, you should look into what is causing it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
There is no right or wrong as long as you practice whatever method you choose. I prefer to have my thumb on top of the safety as it is more intuitive to disengage it and it allows me to get a higher grip on the gun which helps with recoil management. It also keeps me from subconsciously "digging" my strong thumb into my support thumb when shooting an extended string.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could also switch to a low mount thumb safety. They are my preference. Just my 2 cents worth. Congratulations on your new 1911, I love my vigil!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
856 Posts
If your thumb is getting chewed up it’s probably from the notch in the slide for the thumb safety. Even a lot of experienced smiffs miss this area. Chuck Rogers builds a “soft” gun as good as I’ve ever seen and addresses this area perfectly.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I’m a thumb safety rider. You either need to “de-horn it” as referenced above, meaning smooth out the sharp edges, or get a different thumb safety.

I took a new shooter to the range last week, and the first thing he did while shooting was lock up the gun with his thumb below the thumb safety, because on recoil he inadvertently engaged the thumb safety. See my post #12 above.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Baer P2 with the wide single sided safety and when shooting full power hardball loads the safety whacks my thumb like a nun with a ruler, it hurts. It does not do it shooting target loads, so I shoot hardball loads in my other guns with narrower safety.
I agree that you grip in a way that works for you.

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
856 Posts
If you’re a recreational shooter...fine, do whatever works for you. If you carry and/or are possibly going to use it to protect yourself or others: fix it (or get it fixed) so you can use it properly.

Reactions: RatBikeRod

·
Nose to the grindstone
941 Posts
Out of the four Commander and CCO size Dan Wesson that I've owned I've had that problem with every one of them, but this officer size ECO I have not a bit of trouble with the grip safety catching the webbing of my hand. But absolutely shoot with your thumb on top of that safety. And train your brain to do that because when it counts,if you have your thumb underneath it, and it don't take a whole lot to disengage your weapon all together, it doesn't even have to be snicked on all the way, and put you out of commission, and that's the last thing you want to do when you need it to fire the most.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some widely varying opinions here. To some it's a must and is actually WRONG to not do so it seems!

I have a Baer P2 with the wide single sided safety and when shooting full power hardball loads the safety whacks my thumb like a nun with a ruler, it hurts. It does not do it shooting target loads, so I shoot hardball loads in my other guns with narrower safety.
I agree that you grip in a way that works for you.
This is what it feels like more than anything else. I don't think the slide is biting me, so much as the safety is just smacking my thumb on recoil or whatever. Just feels like it's getting slapped repeatedly, not so much getting bit.

I'll try riding the safety again the next time I shoot and see if I can find a comfortable spot, if not, I'll simply shoot the way that feels best and train to ensure safety is off when drawing from the holster. A split second in a real situation could be crucial, but I think as long as I make it muscle memory on draw everything will be okay. If I were to somehow forget to flick the safety off in a real situation, I assume it'd register to me very quickly when I pull the trigger and there's no bang, but again, I'm in the camp that every second counts, so I'm just hoping I can find a comfortable medium with my thumb on the safety.

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,381 Posts
...if not, I'll simply shoot the way that feels best and train to ensure safety is off when drawing from the holster...

The safety should not come off until you are coming up on target. This is what can happen if you don't...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The safety should not come off until you are coming up on target. This is what can happen if you don't...
Coming up on target is part of the drawing process, no?

Edit: I see how I worded it, but yeah I've actually seen the video you linked already haha!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts