rifle rest ideas

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by boatdoc, Nov 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Now that my back is acting up again, I have decided it is time to look into a rifle rest for the barrel section of my rifles only. I like to stand when I shoot. I am looking to get a device that I can place on a table, raise it to my preferred height and would support the front of the rifle safely.I use a modified isosceles stance, facing the target fully or canted slightly toward my strong side(rear foot back) , bent at the waist a bit more than I do for shooting pistols.

I do not want something that holds the entire rifle for me. I want to relieve the rifle weight up front.It will be used on a table top all the time .ideas welcome

thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Doc, I would recommend a camera tripod. There are companies who make tops for them to support or even hold a rifle forearm. The tripods are infinitely adjustable. And, nice ones can be had for reasonable money.

Oldgunner, gaijin, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.

3. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015

how sturdy are they Joe? can they handle an AR?

interesting idea. saw some on Amazon. That might be perfect

thanks Joe

FWoo45 and Joe C like this.
  4. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    There are commercial tripod rests out there. Some are kinda pricey. A regular camera tripod can be had cheap, at goodwill or a thrift store.

Just a matter of adapting the holding screw to connect to a swivel stud. Or fabricating a cradle for the stock/forend.

5. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    That bipod suggestion is a great idea. Think I will use it. I have a new one I purchased several year ago to use with my Chrony...

6. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    gaijin, FWoo45, Babboonbobo and 2 others like this.
  7. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    If you like to stand when you shoot and need a rest for the barrel, get one of those extended adjustable mono-pods. They are nothing more than a long adjustable aluminum pole with a spike/rubber point at the bottom and a cushioned crotch at the top for your barrel or fore-stock. You could probably make something out of material you can get from Home depot, but I've seen them sold commercially.

boatdoc likes this.
  8. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Doc, I use mine to hold a 12lb suppressed scoped high power bean field rifle...so they are plenty sturdy if you get a half way decent one. I think my tripod was around $35.00 at a second hand store.

boatdoc likes this.
  9. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    ^This.

I use an old Manfrotto tripod and a "Pig Saddle". Not current state of art, but works well.
    Shots to 600 yds. are pretty easy with this set up and my Tikka.

limbkiller, FWoo45 and boatdoc like this.
  10. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    sounds like aperfect solution

thanks

Joe C likes this.
  11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I have a manfrotto for my spotting scope. Very sturdy. It wasn't cheap but I am happy with it. It could support the front end of a rifle and is very adjustable. If a guy could find one at a thrift store that would be perfect. The vortex offering looks pretty good but I haven't tried one myself.

boatdoc likes this.
  12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    boatdoc likes this.
  13. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    boatdoc likes this.
  14. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    :)

True, but like everything- "expensive" is subjective.

A Chambers "WMG" is considerably more expensive than a SA "Range Officer", but for good reason.
    My preference would most certainly be the "WMG" in this example, even though they both do the same job- launch a projectile.
    The "WMG" just does it considerably better.

boatdoc and Scaramouche like this.
  15. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Define "better". And while you're at it, you probably need to define "considerably" too :D. Just sayin'...

Dave

boatdoc likes this.
  16. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    OK-

Better as in; light years mo accurate, light years better fit/finish, better trigger, no MIM/top drawer “parts”.
    That type of better.

boatdoc likes this.
  17. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have a little church thrift store down the street I will help them with some of the heavier stuff....

Saw a Heavy Duty Celestron scope Tripod they said they wanted gone as no one had a use for it.

$10.00 and sold. Just need to get a Hog Style Saddle to attach to it and I am sure it would support a 50 BMG Rifle.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...psPS3gIVx2F-Ch08SAkDEAQYASABEgJ5bfD_BwE&smp=Y

Fine tune knobs for horizontal and elevation.

Karsten

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    boatdoc likes this.
  18. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted