Rimfire debacle.... Ruger revolver vs auto...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by awpk03s, Nov 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm finding myself in a real pickle as I make preparations for an upcoming gunshow weekend.

Got some cash to burn, got some guns to sell/trade. Really want a .22 handgun to compliment my collection. My current handgun list includes Ruger single actions, 1911s, and Kahrs.

I had a MkII long ago that was a peach. Dumbly, I sold it. I am going back and forth between picking up a MkII/MkIII or 22/45 or a Single Ten or Single Six.

Having the revolver makes sense to me because it will be similar to the larger Rugers I already shoot.

The auto is cheaper...
    The revolver won't be picky on ammo...

Accuracy??

Anyone who has one or both of these models - which do you prefer and why?

2. Lordofbarbeque

Lordofbarbeque New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I have them both and like them both. But for accuracy and taking to next level the Mark III wins IMHO escpecially with the Clark & Volquartsen upgrades and optics.

3. simulatedjim

simulatedjim New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I have MK I and II's and single action Bearcats one old one new. I think the revolvers are more fun to shoot but I now want to have my 4" MK II suppressed can't do that with these revolvers. I can't make your decision but just a couple of thoughts.

4. dirty barrel

dirty barrel ( . Y . )

Oct 30, 2011
    I have a MK II that never gets left at home if I'm going to the range. I have had it since the early 90's and have never had a problem with it. It's not picky and will shoot even when it's filthy dirty. I had a 22/45 for a short while. For some reason it wasn't as reliable and it was finicky about ammo. It might of just been the gun I had but I think the MK II is a better gun. I have taught many people how to shoot with my MK II. I would never get rid of it. If you can find a good MK II at a gun show that is the route I would go. Mine is extremely accurate even after tens of thousands of rounds through it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I've had several MKII's and a Bear Cat. Love them all, especially the MkII's... Like Dirty Barrel, mine is not left at home when heading to the range just cause I like to shoot it, a lot. I personally have steered away from the MkIII's because one, they don't use the same mags as my MkII's and two, the early ones (not sure about the current ones) had a mag safety so that it can't be fired if there isn't a mag in the gun...I don't like that.

The Bear Cat was fun but I just like the MkII's better...and all of mine have been very accurate and not at all picky about ammo...

6. dirty barrel

dirty barrel ( . Y . )

Oct 30, 2011
    If I am remembering right my MK III had a ugly loaded chamber indicator also. I also remember disassembly being more of a pain in the but than the MK II.

7. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I have a sig 229 in 22LR and I can't get it to run. Blah. my ruger single six is fun to play with. I have no exp with 22 1911's

8. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a MK II Target 6" that is extremely accurate. My FIL has a MK II Target 10" and it's almost unfair to shoot it against other pistols. Love the MK II Targets.

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Not entirely correct. The revolver will most likely not have a functional issue with any ammo, but they can be just as, and sometimes even more, picky about which ammot they like.

I have a pair of Kimber rimfire conversions on dedicated frames that get most of the duty, but I have held on to one 22/45 (of the MKII era) that gets shot at least once a month (LPA adj. rear added by me):

[​IMG]

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a 1967 Ruger Single Six Convertable,....I'll never sell it!
    Laser accutate, balls on reliable!

11. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Picked up a Ruger Single Ten revolver last weekend at the gun show. Got a great deal on it barely used from a local guy. LOVE this revolver... this is JUST what I wanted. I will post some pics and a review in good time in a separate thread.

Thanks all for the advice and discussion!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted