1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
born in the wrong century
4,269 Posts
It's called single-plane sighting. You focus on the target, not the dot, superimpose the dot on what you want to hit and pull the trigger. During rapid fire stages I called it 'following the bouncing ball'. :)

That sounds like magic.

Up until 45 years old I could manage well with my handguns.

52 now and things have degraded with the visual sharpness.

Shooting at 25yd targets with irons is a crapshoot....even though my grip is more solid now than ten years ago.

I’m eager to try the red dot and see....understanding that it’s not an immediate swap but more of a transition that will require shooting, drawing, etc over a few thousand rounds/reps.

Looking forward to it.

·
born in the wrong century
4,269 Posts
I have four RMRs, Glock 45 MOS, Glock 19 MOS, Stacatto P DUO, and a Stacatto C2 DUO.

The red dot does make a difference but I can't bring myself to put one on one of my Guncrafters/Wilsons etc. Just seems to break up the artistic beauty of a nice 1911.

The red dot does take work and I believe it makes you a better shooter with irons. Same presentation and the red dot shows your shooting errors quickly.

Red dots are a game-changer on pistols, just like they were when they came out for rifles years ago.
Sidenote....which do you seem to get the most use from....your C2DUO or P2DUO ??

Nighthawk's IOS system completely removed that concern... as you can easily switch back to irons or to an IOS plate for another brand of Red Dot.
I suspect they will stay busy for a long, long time now that they’ve begun accepting customer supplied guns for IOS modification.

Super looking innovation.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Well guys I'm thinking of having a 1911 built with a RMR plate and suppressor sights. I shot a glock with a RMR and have too admit I liked it.
Whats your opinion on the subject?
Do it!!! Try and find the lowest mounting option possible and suppressor height sights won’t be needed.

It takes a considerable amount of practice to use a RDS as naturally as you would iron sights. Too many try it a few times, have difficulty adjusting, and walk away.
From what I’ve seen the lower the optic is mounted the faster the adjustment time is. When Red dots on slides gained popularity the last few years a lot were mounted well above traditions sights. With Chambers RDSM and NightHawk IOS they are a lot closer to the bore line and more closely replicate the height of tradition iron sights. Yes there is a learning curve especially if your presentation sucks and you bowl the pistol up or cast it out in front of you. But if you bring it up high and press out level the dot appears much sooner. If you have a problem finding the dot. Your presentation sucked with irons also.

·
The Tinker
3,326 Posts
Lots of folks got very proficient with optics that sat 1-2" (or more) above bore centerline. If someone can't find a dot unless it's as close to the barrel bore as possible, there may be other issues. But that's just my opinion, and worth every penny I got for it. :D

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
P2DUO shoots great, feels like shooting a 22lr, 25 yards, and beyond shots are easy.

C2DUO has a different recoil feel due to the difference in size and weight compared to the P2, but it is almost as easy as the P2. The C2 get carried more just due to its size.

In comparison, I carry a 45acp a lot (Guncrafter full-size today) so they are super easy to get hits and follow up.

What is even crazier is in my local area I can find 45acp ammo that is not only available but cheaper than 9mm (when it's here).

Currently getting both Stacattos stippled by Dark Side Precision. I usually stipple my pistols (Glocks) but I did not want to try it on the Staccatos so I'm paying for it but I have seen others and like the results. Glocks below.

Sidenote....which do you seem to get the most use from....your C2DUO or P2DUO ??

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
2B3C5D4C-2438-47E6-9A2A-8208E3BB04E6.jpeg
3E733DCE-3308-49A5-AB7B-FBB51E5C3D7A.jpeg
406296E0-794F-451A-AA8A-E3C812FE94A2.jpeg
45C8AFC5-A9D3-4A50-BC8D-6542D31AA982.jpeg
I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut a 1911 slide for a red dot and then Kimber came out with their KHX Optic Ready pistol. I got one off a GB auction for under $800 in 9mm. I liked it so much I had my Dan Wesson PM-9 cut. Love them both. For my local competition now I shoot a CZ TSO with a frame mounted optic and thumb rest. I love having every advantage I can get!
I also have a 1911 .22 Nelson conversion with a red dot for Gallery League shooting. I can't see iron sights worth squat anymore so its red dots for me.
Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nighthawk just installed a Holosun 508T on my ED BROWN. I waited 8 months, but loved the result. I had Langdon Tactical install on my Beretta 92 LTT and you can see my Smith and Wilson with a red dot as well. I also went with a Holosun for this gun as well. Very happy and I doubt anyone who says they don't get faster target acquisition with a red dot.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a 507c on a Staccato P DUO. It is a blast to shoot. I still use iron sights for carry and home defense, but I can see why many have made the switch.

Vortex makes great products too. A Strikefire 2 goes great on an AR pistol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just picked up a plate attachment for a 1911 build I am doing. It is fitted to the rear dove tail. It was from ADS. It will accept any RMR.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I just picked up a plate attachment for a 1911 build I am doing. It is fitted to the rear dove tail. It was from ADS. It will accept any RMR.
I would like to see photos of that.

I find a plate that can take any “RMR” to be like a dual sport motorcycle. Not really good at any of its intended uses.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Fitting in the rear dovetail makes it WAY too high for me. I also don't trust the durability. The closer to the bore is much better. Consider having your slide milled, it's not that expensive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fitting in the rear dovetail makes it WAY too high for me. I also don't trust the durability. The closer to the bore is much better. Consider having your slide milled, it's not that expensive.
I'll have to look into that, Thank You. My problem is finding a "Good" Gun Smith locally. I had one but he retired and moved to Florida (On my Money Ha Ha).
I've tried a couple but still looking. Thanks Again for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Search the forum for gunsmiths that do it. Since you are only sending the slide it won't have to be shipped through an FFL. Much cheaper to use the post office.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I own a Fire Hawk and a Heinie Signature with IOS cuts....IMHO, to order a Nighthawk Custom without the cut is foolish.They do amazing stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Well guys I'm thinking of having a 1911 built with a RMR plate and suppressor sights. I shot a glock with a RMR and have too admit I liked it.
Whats your opinion on the subject?
I have an STI w/ a Leopold DPP and love it for uniform work, but would never use a gun w/ a red dot sight for CCW; too bulky and not needed.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Bulky? Never even notice it’s there. Not needed? Until you do.
Sorry, but don't need one on a CCW any more than I need a parachute or scuba tanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry, but don't need one on a CCW any more than I need a parachute or scuba tanks.
You don’t need a parachute to skydive.... you need a parachute to skydive twice. Strangely enough I have a red dot on my c2, parachutes and SCUBA tanks....

41 - 60 of 63 Posts