1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a good optic for my Springer/Wilson 1911 Target. I'm new to the optic seen and I don't want to waste my $$$ on Chinese stuff(Holosun). Torn between the two Trijicon. A lot of $$$. Chime in on your experience's and maybe save me some pain. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I want a good optic for my Springer/Wilson 1911 Target. I'm new to the optic seen and I don't want to waste my $$$ on Chinese stuff(Holosun). Torn between the two Trijicon. A lot of $$$. Chime in on your experience's and maybe save me some pain. Thanks.
Target use only SRO. Range and Carry RMR.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
haven't had the SRO (yet) but I like the window size- there are threads on other forums stating that Trijicon reccomend the SRO as a competition optic, not a duty/hard use optic, which would be the RMR, so that'd be up to you to decide given how you use your guns.
I've had 2 RMRs, and a couple of the earlier LM03 red dots. (I have one of the LM03s left as it's piggy backing my ACOG and I'm probably going to sell the whole thing at some near point)- Anyway, I didn't like the tint, the window size or the appearance of the dot on the RMRs, I have astigmatism and the RMRs seemed to be the worst of the red dots for my particular eyes. Your eyes, obviously different.
I am, and this is not what you're looking for I know, switching to Holosun because a) price, b) the dot in a circle reticle appears much more clear and defined to my eyes than any other dot I've tried, c) battery life and finally d) very well built.
If you don't want to buy chinese because it's chinese, fair enough, but it is a solid product. I'm guessing that most options- Burris, Vortex etc are also chinese.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Other than country of origin, the Holosun is outstanding, it's easily as good or better as an RMR, and I like my RMRs.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought 2 Holosun 507C's. Both were Duds. But thank you for your input. It defiantly helps. I get where your coming from with the circle/dot thing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
2 Duds?? Damn, that's rough HooDoo

Both of mine have several thousand rounds without a hiccup, sorry to hear yours stunk. JoeC turned me on to them, and he's got something like 20,000+ on his.

Reactions: HooDoo Man

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
Boner drain that the Holosun is Chinese made. I would have found out eventually, but that seals the deal for me to go with the SRO.

I would likely have considered Chinese before the Rona virus. Not anymore . I’d rather pay more than buy anything made in China.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
The SRO sits too high on anything using a plate, that is just my opinion. The nicest and lowest cut I have used the SRO on is a Zev Tech slide/cut. On a Zev the SRO sits soo low and the large window is very nice. I’m guessing Agency and Shadow Systems have a similar low optic cut.

Wouldn’t have second thoughts about general EDC type carry with the SRO. But with a 1911, you’d most likely need a plate adapter. For that reason, I’d choose the RMR.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I agree with the pool guy on this but my holosun 508t is fantastic, the reticle is faster for me and housing is titanium instead of aluminum.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already got the plate mounted(EGW) for a Holo or Trijicon. I'm computing all that you guys are telling me. It helps alot!

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I gather the Holo's are pretty good other than there *****. Maybe part of the problem I had was that they were both purchased on Amazon? Imposters? Maybe have better luck buying from Brownells? Hard to swallow though.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I've been using Vortex Vipers and Venoms with no issues. Not too many rounds, though, to test long term reliability.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I bought 2 Holosun 507C's. Both were Duds. But thank you for your input. It defiantly helps. I get where your coming from with the circle/dot thing.
Funny about the circle/dot thing....we have a few "older" shooters with GIGANTIC tubes on the top of their race revolvers (which were BIG back in the day)....some of us jokingly laughed at these giant Aimpoint's and other brands (myself included...and I have a newer Aimpoint)....until I shot one....WOW! I LIKE that big old circle and dot in the middle....you could see the whole target...didn't lose the dot as much under recoil...and they just flat out WORK.....

I see the Holosun as just a newer version of that style (ie: BIG TUBE = BIG view field), and I'm liking them....may have to grab one...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Target use only SRO. Range and Carry RMR.
Almost any of the recognizable brand name RMR's (or SRO) are suitable for range/pistol games. They all take some practice to get used to a slightly different "presentation"! I have thousands of rounds on Burris, Vortex and others with only one failure due to original battery corrosion.

For Combat/Carry optics don't bet your life on low end $$! Trijicon or similar military grade!

Smiles,

Reactions: HooDoo Man

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Holosun is at the top of the heap right now IMO. Sucks that they're chicom. I totally understand that you don't want to send em your $. Vortex is mostly Phillipino with some high end stuff made state side. Haven't tried their dots but very happy with a few of their magnified optics.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts