1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Lots of fun! I've been wanting an RIA 9mm/.22 TCM myself for a little while.

Oh yeah,
Yellow Text Photograph Purple Colorfulness

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,333 Posts
I have a single stack 9mm/22TCM. The TCM is such a soft shooting round it is almost like a 22mag, but with a lot more punch to it hitting almost 2200fps

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the rock Island today . Ran a couple mags of TCM through it then switched to 9mm. Cleaned and properly lubricated gun before firing . Used Federal American Eagle 124 gr stacked Mags with 17 rounds every time to check function . All good zero failures

Hammered 100 rds fast . Cycles smooth , Safety is positive , Trigger is crisp 4 lbs . Sight is adjustable, Barrel bushing is tight , Guide rod is nice and gun is very accurate .

Back to the house for a detail strip and parts check along with a trigger tweek .

All parts looked good Barrel is smoother than other Philippines guns I have felt as they would grab at the patch during cleaning Chamber was also free of tool marks and very smooth Ramp also very smooth .

Extractor held a round nice and snug but not a death grip and ejector was the extended variety
Polished the hammer and sear along with the trigger bow which is the only part that seemed a little rough . Tweeked the leaf tested for hammer follow and back out with another box of ammo before dark with a 3.4 lb trigger

Function was perfect as I ran through another 50 rds and hit steel a bit faster with the sharper trigger , High capacity on a 1911 platform with a great trigger and reliable so far

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a chance to run a couple more boxes through the RIA 9mm today and continued to enjoy great accuracy and reliability . I will be getting some defense loads for testing soon and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on what these guys like to eat .

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
I love my double stack 22tcm (w/9mm barrel) but I leave it as 22 since I have plenty of other 9’s to play with.
Although it just went back for a check up as after the addict shoot I was at it started acting up.
Cartridges stuck in chamber every shot. Steve Owens looked at it at the shoot and it was better. My boy grabbed it hit his fiancée to try and it did it to him every round so back it went for a check. They said 4-6 weeks from time they received it about two weeks ago.
Almost forgot the pic!
Gun Firearm Trigger Line Light

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Cartridges stuck in chamber every shot.
That was our problem at the shoot 2years ago. On a cold Gun it would fire 10 rounds either caliber and then wouldn’t pull the empties from the chamber. There was literally no hook on the extractor. It was disappointing because it was the first time out with the gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Rock Island TAC Ultra FS HC (XYZPDQ). After approximately 100 rds, the plunger tube came un-staked and I sent it back to RIA for repair. Took about 4 weeks and I have it back in hand, but no additional rounds quite yet.

It's a fairly heavy pistol at around 3# loaded, but that does well to further reduce the recoil of a 9mm. I find it gets back on target quickly and the trigger is crisp.

At the $600-700 price range, it's a solid pistol (no pun intended) and a reasonable purchase. I'm disappointed in the failure I experienced, but I generally read positive remarks about RIA.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,783 Posts
That was our problem at the shoot 2years ago. On a cold Gun it would fire 10 rounds either caliber and then wouldn’t pull the empties from the chamber. There was literally no hook on the extractor. It was disappointing because it was the first time out with the gun.
I remember that with yours, same time mine started acting up. I had about 500 rounds through mine when it started. The extractor looked great and had a nice hook. When you go to pop the spent case out of the chamber it was really stuck! So wondering if it’s a problem in that area? Hopefully I’ll know soon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I remember that with yours, same time mine started acting up. I had about 500 rounds through mine when it started. The extractor looked great and had a nice hook. When you go to pop the spent case out of the chamber it was really stuck! So wondering if it’s a problem in that area? Hopefully I’ll know soon.
I have had other guns from the Philippines and the chambers were rough many tool marks acting to hold the cartage to the chamber wall upon extraction . The barrels were rough also you could feel it in the patch when cleaning adding to cooper build up and possible pressure causing round to stick in the chamber .

I have a RIA 10 mm and its a jacketed ammo gun only Barrel and chamber are too rough for lead to be reliable .

This gun has a very smooth chamber and I have had no problems so far but have cleaned it every 100 rounds . They say to run a brush through every 100 rounds during break in which I have done .

I will keep everyone posted as to how this goes

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lapped the barrel with some Flitz and it improved the patch feel even more wound another 100 rounds through and cleaned again , Barrel cleaned up faster and felt even smoother . Gun has about 400 rounds through it without a hiccup
Extractor tension and recoil spring tension have not changed good sign that maybe the Philippine spring steel is improving as all the ATIs I bought needed recoils springs and Mags pronto

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,794 Posts
June 6th this year. Garrad county Kentucky. Just south of Lexington KY.
What will be the closest town? Asking for a friend what has to plan months in advance for time off.

Reactions: Babboonbobo
1 - 20 of 36 Posts