Rock island armory compact 1911 slide stop issues

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Zach Adams, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Zach Adams

Zach Adams New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Hi there, not sure if this is in the correct place. Also sorry if this has already been posted I looked but could not find this issue. This is my first post.

I have a rock island armory compact 1911 in 45 and the slide does not lock back on an empty magazine or after the last round. I broke the gun down and put a magazine in and with the slide off, the empty magazine pushes the slide stop up like it should. Now when I reassemble and insert the empty magazine and rack the slide, it does not lock back. If I manually engage the slide stop with an empty magazine it then works as it should (pull back on the slide but nothing happens because the empty magazine is in it, take the magazine out and the slide returns to battery). It is an interesting issue that I am trying to wrap my head around. I would love some feedback from people that my have had this happen before or people That know a solution.

Thanks in advance
    Zach

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    What magazines are you using ?
    I had the same issue with CMC Mags, and ended up swapping the mag internals for Trip 7 packs.

Also had the same issue on a Springfield, and an EGW slide stop.
    Swapped the slide stop for a Wilson, and the problem went away.

3. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Is this a problem with a new (to you) gun, or a new problem with a gun you've had for a while?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. Zach Adams

Zach Adams New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    It is a new to me gun

5. Zach Adams

Zach Adams New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I tried wilson combat mags and that didn't work.

6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Ok. I only offer some diagnostic suggestions. As I don't know your skill level you may or may not be able to do them all. These are just the steps I would take.

Eliminate the magazines: If you've tried 2 or 3 different brands of (known good) magazines that probably eliminates them.

Eliminate slide stop movement hangups: take the recoil assembly out, reassemble the gun and make sure the slide stop goes into lock position smoothly and easily. It's possible there's a bit of frame interference, maybe causing just enough of a hitch to mess up lock-back when the gun cycles.

You might have to remove the plunger spring and reassemble the gun - basically take all the spring pressure off the mechanism - to really feel the movement.

It's possible there's some hangup at the plunger end - detent, engagement angle, spring tension, etc.

The slide stop could also be shifting a bit if it's undersized.

If the gun has been bubba-smithed any or all of the above could be a problem. Depending on your skills you might not be able to fix it, but you should be able to at least diagnose it before swapping parts or having it replaced.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted