1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am relatively new to 1911s and recently bought a Rock Island Tactical and finally got a chance to shoot it. I only had a chance to put 50 rounds through it due to time constraints but every magazine I fired through it had at least 1 failure to feed. I used the magazine that came with it and a Chip Mccormick power mag and it happened to both.
The rounds I used were PMC full Metal jackets. I will attempt to attach a photo of what it looked like in the chamber. Any opinions on what may cause this issue? I Google Drive and read it may be the magazine causing it but since it happened to the stock one also I figured that wouldn't be the case. Thanks for any input.
Black Metal Grey Tan Composite material

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,485 Posts
Reactions: Kip

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,528 Posts
I have the same gun,and mags. Never had an CTC,looks like your overriding the cartridge. Can't tell from the pic,did you happen to notice round count? Like first,last?
Good link Robert!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kipling, it would do it at random intervals. Sometime like 2d or 3d shot, sometimes last round, I would have put more through it but I forgot today was an early out day for my son's school so I had to hurry home to meet the bus lol

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,528 Posts
See if it works out soon,they say 500 rounds for break-in,seems a bit much.
Check your brass when you can,can give some good ideas what's going on. Like checking poop to see where Bambi eats!!!
Check other articles on that link Robert gave you,John Travis has tons of good info. Hope it works out soon,they are great little guns-love mine!!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Feed ramp roughness?

Reactions: azpoolguy

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
In the photo did you lock the slide fully back or is that how it stopped? If that's how it's stopped chances are the live rounds in the magazine are hitting the slide stop causing it to lock the slide back.
This happened too me . Read a good article on how to properly fit slide stop . Problem cured . Also slight limp wristing allows bullets to move in magazine and touch slide stop . Sometimes one can inadvertently hit slide stop with thumb . In the picture it looks like the slide is locked back and the bullet is slightly forward . This happens under recoil and can allow bullet to hit slide stop .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies, I thought I had replied to WWBs post above but must not have hit submit. It stopped that way in the pic on its own. Also I will have to take it out again and watch my finger placement near the slide stop. And stlgecko, it's a new pistol. The limp wristing could be a valid point, I have a raging case of carpal tunnel going on that the VA says I need to get fixed but I keep putting it off. Thanks again evryone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts