1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suggestions on upgrading the stock GI sights on a friend's RIA 1911 GI.
Its the .38 super I sold him some months ago. He's not really into building/improving etc. He likes to go to the range and shoot fairly often but isn't one to dump a bunch of money into this inexpensive gun. I told him I'd ask around to see if there is some FO or white dot front sights that would drop in the existing mount system for this gun on both front & rear sights. My guess is that if I find some sights to install for him I'm still going to have to find a swagging tool as well.
If anyone knows of a good replacement for these originals... please post.
Thanks.

Reactions: Mike A

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Be sure you are fully committed to that swaging project if you decide to twist off that stock staked front sight. I ended up sending a Colt to Novaks to let them finish what I started, and had them dovetail it.

As for rear sights, I liked this one. Heck, I’ll send it to you. I’m not using it anymore.
https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/
That sight is actually a great replacement for USGI cuts. Lots of filing on the bottom to get a good fit. I put one on the Wu Pig's older sibling. Now the staking of the front sight I would let someone else do. I used the Brownell's tool, they tell you just a few light taps and it's done...yeah right, light taps with a 20 pound hammer, over and over again. The universe learned some new cuss word combinations during the sight staking.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure you are fully committed to that swaging project if you decide to twist off that stock staked front sight. I ended up sending a Colt to Novaks to let them finish what I started, and had them dovetail it.

As for rear sights, I liked this one. Heck, I’ll send it to you. I’m not using it anymore.
https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/
Now that sounds like a real post of encouragement....... full of positive thought. :eek::eek:
Perhaps I should tell him to use some of his wife's white/hot pink nail polish on the front post and leave it like that..... or fork out some cash.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sight is actually a great replacement for USGI cuts. Lots of filing on the bottom to get a good fit. I put one on the Wu Pig's older sibling. Now the staking of the front sight I would let someone else do. I used the Brownell's tool, they tell you just a few light taps and it's done...yeah right, light taps with a 20 pound hammer, over and over again. The universe learned some new cuss word combinations during the sight staking.
See my response post just below yours..... **** he washes his hands of it and walks away ****

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Now that sounds like a real post of encouragement....... full of positive thought. :eek::eek:
Perhaps I should tell him to use some of his wife's white/hot pink nail polish on the front post and leave it like that..... or fork out some cash.
Hey man, just the voice of experience (or should I say in-experience). Seriously. I was all in, and I’m pretty handy, but swaging a staked sight in is more than a notion. I tried silver soldering one in, and discovered just exactly how much of a heat sink a 1911 slide is.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey man, just the voice of experience (or should I say in-experience). Seriously. I was all in, and I’m pretty handy, but swaging a staked sight in is more than a notion. I tried silver soldering one in, and discovered just exactly how much of a heat sink a 1911 slide is.
You could have thrown a burger patty on it for lunch while it was cooling.. :D

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.