rock island

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by tony east, Nov 20, 2011.

1. tony east

tony east New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    i have bought a rock island compact 1911 45 anyone had any bad dealings with this company. the gun seems to be well built shot 50 rounds this weekend with no problems at all. this is my first 1911 and i think i am hooked

Lineman1982 likes this.
  2. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    If you paid close to what I see them going everywhere else for I don't think you can go wrong. They actually will warranty their work out of the US if you should happen to have a problem. Welcome to the forum.

3. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    :welcometo:

I have sold several of the compacts ay my shop and have had nothing but raves about them.

Just change your recoil springs at the 1k mark and you"ll be good to go! :thumb:

DAT85

4. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Where is your shop located?

5. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I work at a store in a suburb of Cincinnati,North College Hill.
    (N.C.H guns)

If your up this way on Saturdays,stop in! :wave:

DAT85

6. tony east

tony east New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    thanks guys i have read alot about the rock island 1911 everything i have read was good i was just concerned about the compact size have read that the 1911 doesnt run well as a compact but the 5 inch is just to large for me to conceal this size i can conceal well with a iwb holster

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    A friend has a Citadel Officer (same maker as the RIA) and it runs like a champ.

Only issue was a loose FPS that worked itself loose and caused a jam. The culprit was a greasy FP channel in the slide. Once cleaned and properly lube, it was GTG.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    I have 500 rds thru my RIAcs and no problems what so ever. Love it along with a 9mm tac. Both run great. Enjoy your new gun and shoot the hell out of ot.:biggrin1:

KS95B40 likes this.
  9. trrogers24

trrogers24 New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I have an RIA Compact and have never had a problem with it. Carry it daily.

10. trrogers24

trrogers24 New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I have the compact and have never had an issue with it. It is my primary carry gun at the moment

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  11. tony east

tony east New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    thanks for reassuring my purchase can i buy any type of mag. for the rock island looked a a chip mccorrmick will it run ok did not buy yet if anyone has another suggestion let me know

12. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Hard to tell as some guns will use any mag and some are finicky about mags. I bought a Kimber as it was what the store I was in had and it works fine along with the ACT mag that cme with it.

13. tony east

tony east New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    what kind of spare clip will work best

14. Drgracin72

Drgracin72 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    wilson, chip, just experiment and find out what works well your pistol... with 1911's there is no perfect answer to your question about mags.

15. trrogers24

trrogers24 New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I have used Kimber and a Chip McCormmick

16. Sean MacTavish

Sean MacTavish Member

Sep 14, 2011
    My RIA

Mine has 900 + rounds, not a hiccup. I have the checkmate mag my RIA came with, also a Colt mag and 2 Metalform mags. I think they are a great value and a great gun, welcome to the forum.

17. LostRonin

LostRonin Active Member

Oct 3, 2020
    I've had a few 5 inch RIA guns. Never had an issue in 20 years. They were my boat guns when I didn't want to risk the Colts being in such an environment. I cracked a slide stop on one after thousands of rounds but not all the way through and the gun still ran. I replaced it with a GI part. No problems again.

My serious use RIA I put a GI slide stop, barrel bushing and recoil plug into. My buddy still has that gun many years later. I've always used Colt mags or Wilson 47D mags. RIA 1911s are the only inexpensive 1911s I would personally trust.

18. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    How is it the new guys manage to dredge up such ancient threads? This one may be a record - a 9 year old thread and the OP hasn't been here in over 8 years.:facepalm:

[​IMG]

tonyboo109, RN47, Dub and 3 others like this.
  19. LostRonin

LostRonin Active Member

Oct 3, 2020
    Oh dear, well then at least it's here for posterity and future prospective buyers of RIA 1911s.

20. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Google-Fu has no date code!
    [​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted