1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Bob Rodgers RYO class last year and this is the result. The gun turned out pretty good to my eyes, but definitely a few flaws that I won’t do again. Bob doesn’t let anything below standard out of the class. I got myself in trouble a couple times, and he had to come to the rescue. The gun is the best shooter I have. Here are a few pictures from during the class.

EDAD9CA7-1F6A-4082-923F-C2C2F3FE5256.jpeg
ED749A01-E430-433A-A6F1-02A5A69EAABA.jpeg
67082B8C-DAC5-4BA8-A5A3-F12AB7B8EEF0.jpeg
D4DEA54F-BC97-4332-86B5-D2FDB246AD4F.jpeg
354BB17B-E449-4A4D-A364-D6535B066D4F.jpeg
EBE7036B-6911-4A07-92E5-5A23C0539798.jpeg
41B7C186-497F-44E3-9427-B2A8D8A2ADE3.jpeg
0EF30C27-1947-4D1A-8E3B-A87902A27C06.jpeg
2BBBDE72-2617-4459-BBBF-1814ED6E395C.jpeg
48848DE2-98E0-4CA0-938E-08D47F990716.jpeg

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That’s one to be proud of. You did an outstanding job! Definitely a pistol I wouldn’t mind owning. She’s a shooter and a real looker!

·
Christ is my front sight.
811 Posts
Not sure what the flaws are but that's sure one nice looking pistol! Well done, Sir. I've built a couple on my own now but I want to take one of these classes real bad. Maybe one day. ;)

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
That’s awesome!!!!!

That is a weeek I wish I could spend. It sounds like the knowledge handed out from Mr. Rodgers is irreplaceable.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,591 Posts
Awesome!!! Congrats on rolling one for yourself.

Reactions: HawkEye

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
I took Bob Rodgers RYO class last year and this is the result. The gun turned out pretty good to my eyes, but definitely a few flaws that I won’t do again. Bob doesn’t let anything below standard out of the class. I got myself in trouble a couple times, and he had to come to the rescue. The gun is the best shooter I have. Here are a few pictures from during the class.
What a great opportunity to have a class like that and come away having built something that nice yourself. Beautiful work. Congratulations!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
As an ametuer pistol hack I’m always interested in advice.

What is one thing you thought you did wrong?

What is one thing you learned that you didn’t realize was so important?

And what was your favorite part of the class?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As an ametuer pistol hack I’m always interested in advice.

What is one thing you thought you did wrong?

What is one thing you learned that you didn’t realize was so important?

And what was your favorite part of the class?
Thanks for all the kind replies. I had a blast, so much so that I’m going back this June. I was able to talk my wife in to it by saying each kid needed a gun passed down to them.

After I got the slide to frame fit, the “dust cover” was contacting the bottom of the slide. I was a little over zealous with the files, and now I don’t like the gap I created. It’s a little big and not quite even. Now it just jumps out at me every time I look at the gun.

I have taken a couple basic 1911 armorers courses, and I must have had bad instructors or I wasn’t paying attention, but the correct fit of a thumb safety to prevent any sear movement was an eye opener. None of my guns will fire with the thumb safety on, but after the class I inspected them all. At least 1/4 of them had some sear movement. Some a lot and some just a tad.

Hard to pinpoint the best part of class. As corny as it sounds, the relationship I built with Bob was probably it. Since class, he has promptly answered numerous email with stupid questions from me.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,940 Posts
Nice work, nothing to worry about, nice shooting too.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
You may see a few flaws, but there's a WHOLE LOT of WIN in your gun!
Yes there is.

It is really easy to only see your flaws because you built the gun and you know they are there. I find my self doing the same thing with my work. I only see the flaws. But I think it will make you a great Smith in the end not willing to settle for good enough.

·
Cogito ergo armatus sum
1,934 Posts
How awesome. I've been dreaming about attending one of these classes since first finding out about them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts