1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
He's a large "member"
1,368 Posts
The lipstick to a pig analogy and Chucks work don't actually relate. Chuck will go to great lengths to ensure that the pistols meet his demanding standards dimensionally and externally. When you cut feed Reed ramps out entirely to replace them. Doing this to correct parts to your dimensions, you are no longer just applying lipstick.

As an owner of a gun by Chuck we spoke first about what it would cost to get the gun right before we spoke about external modifications. I didn't deny any work related to the function of the pistol. I am not sure how he would have handled it if I had. He also warned me that during any process should he find a void in the pistol frame that he wouldn't let it leave unless it looked and functioned correctly. Thankfully we never went down that road.

I can understand not wanting a gun that he had to go to those drastic lengths to correct. That makes sense. If the build sheet doesn't reveal those lengths and ruger turns you off. You are more worried about brand identification than what the gun represents in workmanship and reliability.

We in the 4wd world identify ourselves as jeep, Toyota guys etc. One day explaining this I looked at our convoy of "jeeps". Our jeeps had jeep bodies, modified frames and little else remained jeep. The wheels, axles, drive shafts, transfer cases, engines and transmissions had been swapped for better, stronger more reliable parts. So when is a jeep (ruger) no longer a jeep (ruger)?

Of course it is your money. You can have it your way.

[email protected]
928-775-4964

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
It will definitely be interesting if and when the time comes that the Rogers Norinco gets sold to see where it goes in the marketplace. At the end of the day any item is worth as much or as little as someone is willing to pay, some of that is luck, some of that is timing and some of that is of course what we have discussed here market driven. Someone may have a true love for Norinco and be willing to pay any price for this example. Someone may want the one and only Rogers Norinco in existence, assuming Chuck only worked on one... who knows. The majority of the market tends to shun custom builds on base guns that aren't Colt or SA & that is just how it is, may or may not make any rhyme or reason. The fact that the Yost on a Caspian sits unsold makes no sense to me personally as I would be all over it at that price, the Rogers/Rodgers build is on a Baer frame and some folks would shun that gun because of that fact - custom 1911 addicts can be finicky and picky you know :ROFLMAO:

As for this Ruger, I will continue to watch it out of curiosity since it was built by one of my favorite smiths and its semi local to me but my money says that this one will take a long time to sell at this price and he will either sit on it or drop the price, in the long run I guess its best for me and everyone else who owns some of Chuck's work if it sells for the full price because it will just make Rogers' Colts all that more valuable when I am ready to sell them in 20 or 30 years.

·
He's a large "member"
1,368 Posts
It will be an interesting watch for sure. Honestly looking at the gun, I believe the sellers chosen options have hurt that value of the pistol. He went against the grain. I would have to send it back to Chuck to finish the lower slide cut on the other side of the slide stop notch. It wouldn't be symmetrical to maintain the billboard still, but I do believe it would be a lot easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Takes all kinds. Not how I would have built it or the base I would have chosen but I appreciate what it took to make it look and perform as it does. I have no doubt that a buyer will be found.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Takes all kinds. Not how I would have built it or the base I would have chosen but I appreciate what it took to make it look and perform as it does. I have no doubt that a buyer will be found.
You think a buyer will be found at $8,500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
926 Posts
I don’t understand going against the grain. I think that’s a fine looking example of The GOAT’s work. If I didn’t despise Bill Ruger for his actions I’d make a strong offer on it. I’m thinking about it anyway. Only thing I’d add/change would be a fitted match grade stainless barrel of Chuck’s recommendation.
The ad says “OBO”, not firm…

·
He's a large "member"
1,368 Posts
I don’t understand going against the grain. I think that’s a fine looking example of The GOAT’s work. If I didn’t despise Bill Ruger for his actions I’d make a strong offer on it. I’m thinking about it anyway. Only thing I’d add/change would be a fitted match grade stainless barrel of Chuck’s recommendation.
The ad says “OBO”, not firm…
It simply isn't my tastes. The work that is there is a fine example of the GOATS work. I can agree with that. Unfortunately Chuck doesn't get to make all the decisions.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
love these topics, folks saying what something is worth. only one that can say what the true value is is chuck, like i said earlier, he built it, he knows it and i doubt very seriously he built "just cause" and if he needed a barrel i am sure he could have convinced the owner to get a new barrel

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
love these topics, folks saying what something is worth. only one that can say what the true value is is chuck, like i said earlier, he built it, he knows it and i doubt very seriously he built "just cause" and if he needed a barrel i am sure he could have convinced the owner to get a new barrel
The only one who can say what it’s worth is the market, what someone today is willing to pay period.

As for the barrel who knows what discussion the owner and Chuck had, whether the decision was financially based or some other reason.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The only one who can say what it’s worth is the market, what someone today is willing to pay period.

As for the barrel who knows what discussion the owner and Chuck had, whether the decision was financially based or some other reason.

whatever you say man, you the expert

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
926 Posts
Mech, I understand your position and respect it. I see it different. The vast majority of us who respect the GOAT can agree to disagree like gentlemen.
I am quite taxed by folks who sling insults from the safety of “behind the keyboard”.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Mech, I understand your position and respect it. I see it different. The vast majority of us who respect the GOAT can agree to disagree like gentlemen.
I am quite taxed by folks who sling insults from the safety of “behind the keyboard”.
You & me both

Reactions: Mechanized

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Tough crowd.

The irony I see here is some folks ragging on a ruger, but then going and praising builds on caspians, which is also a pine tree product...otherwise known as...Ruger.
Pine tree product? New one for me

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Pine Tree Castings, also known as Ruger Castings...is where Caspian gets their castings and forgings.
Ah ok, didn’t know

·
He's a large "member"
1,368 Posts
I would be interested in Chucks view of the hardness of each. If I had to guess the ruger would be harder. Outside of the difficulty of hardness, which would he prefer to build on? Norc or ruger? @pistolwretch

41 - 60 of 105 Posts