1911 Firearm Addicts banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
It is entirely possible chuck looked at the barrel in the gun and said it didn't need to be replaced. It happens.
love these topics, folks saying what something is worth. only one that can say what the true value is is chuck, like i said earlier, he built it, he knows it and i doubt very seriously he built "just cause" and if he needed a barrel i am sure he could have convinced the owner to get a new barrel
The only one who can say what it’s worth is the market, what someone today is willing to pay period.

As for the barrel who knows what discussion the owner and Chuck had, whether the decision was financially based or some other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would be interested in Chucks view of the hardness of each. If I had to guess the ruger would be harder. Outside of the difficulty of hardness, which would he prefer to build on? Norc or ruger? @pistolwretch
Well this isnt gonna be popular and wont win me any friends but its a question on my mind.
4 pages of speculation and not a peep from the man himself.
I personally would like to hear direct from him.
I find it odd that everyone is goin at each other over it & nobody has said "Hey Chuck, whats up"
Im surprised that he hasnt chimed in as well. I gotta be missing something.
Keep in mind Im just an ordinary guy, I dont know whos famous here and whos not and whos just a legend in their own mind altho goin on a year here Im starting to get it sorted.
Its just a simple legitimate question from a simple guy.
Is there some gunsmith-client privilege deal in play?
A reasonable fellow who dont know anyone here, no dog in the fight so to speak reading this would think its almost like a herd of groupies defending a rock star who just sets back and lets them. Something just seems off about the whole thing to the casual observer.
Education without flames would be nice but certainly not expected. I got my fire suit on. Let her rip tater chip. ;)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well this isnt gonna be popular and wont win me any friends but its a question on my mind.
I find it odd that everyone is goin at each other over it & nobody has said "Hey Chuck, whats up"
Keep in mind Im just an ordinary guy, I dont know whos famous here and whos not and whos just a legend in their own mind altho goin on a year here Im starting to get it sorted.
A reasonable fellow who dont know anyone here, no dog in the fight so to speak reading this would think its almost like a herd of groupies defending a rock star who just sets back and lets them. Something just seems off about the whole thing to the casual observer.
Education without flames would be nice but certainly not expected. I got my fire suit on. Let her rip tater chip. ;)
No you are not going to get ripped at all... Very good post actually and my comment is this. There are very few indeed top Smiths that post on internet forums just because of what you see on this thread. They do not want to get involved with the pissing matches bottom line... They let their work speak for itself.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
No you are not going to get ripped at all... Very good post actually and my comment is this. There are very few indeed top Smiths that post on internet forums just because of what you see on this thread. They do not want to get involved with the pissing matches bottom line... They let their work speak for itself.
Thank You Sir,
That makes sense. Im just dying to know the details of why the factory barrel etc. The mathematical technical details over justifying my build choices so to speak.
I been here long enough to learn that he doesnt have to justify anything. He said it, I believe it. Done deal. The details just got me curious.
Hell I guess Im a groupie, one of the 1st things I check when I log on is recent pics from the bench, always happy when I see new stuff.
I suffer from Ron Whites malady,...
"They said I had the right to remain silent but I didnt have the ability." :ROFLMAO:
It was important to me my post was not taken as disrespect to anyone but curiosity was indeed killing the cat. Still is lol.

Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thank You Sir,
That makes sense. Im just dying to know the details of why the factory barrel etc. The mathematical technical details over justifying my build choices so to speak.
I been here long enough to learn that he doesnt have to justify anything. He said it, I believe it. Done deal. The details just got me curious.
Hell I guess Im a groupie, one of the 1st things I check when I log on is recent pics from the bench, always happy when I see new stuff.
I suffer from Ron Whites malady,...
"They said I had the right to remain silent but I didnt have the ability." :ROFLMAO:
It was important to me my post was not taken as disrespect to anyone but curiosity was indeed killing the cat. Still is lol.
Well on the barrel this is a true fact! It is not so much the tolerances of the barrel albeit broach, SPC (yes I have a SPC Krieger SS tube on one of my revolvers) button or cold hammer forge it is the way it is fitted. One of the most accurate handguns to this day is a factory Colt commander bbl that was just fitted perfectly when I had some other work done to it by a late Smith here in the area. Friend of mine at Colt talked me into doing that almost 30 years ago and he was correct. LOL he told me that you can spend the money but for what you are building this for (carry gun at the time and I still have it) it would be a "waste of money". Even the match bbl's from Colt are the same internal specifications they are just slightly oversized to require a better fit. :):)

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
I don’t feel it's odd he hasn't answered the post. 1. Has he seen the post? 2. Does he remember the guns in question off the top of his head? I have seen a lot of Rugers the man has built but not that one. He may have only one NORC. That is why my questions were based on the factory example and not the work he has completed.

He won't work on some manufacturers guns. That being said he has done a lot of rugers. If it was a sub standard base he wouldn't build on it.

He provided a service to the paying customer. He owes us nothing. What does it garner him? If I were him; I'm not going to stop, dig through my records every time there is a discussion on a particular gun I built.

The cons of doing such far out weigh the good. Lost time. That won't pay the bills.
Possibly alienating a customer.
Alienating a customer base. (Ruger owners)

Demanding an answer is silly. Get over yourself.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I don’t feel it's odd he hasn't answered the post. 1. Has he seen the post? 2. Does he remember the guns in question off the top of his head? I have seen a lot of Rugers the man has built but not that one. He may have only one NORC. That is why my questions were based on the factory example and not the work he has completed.

He won't work on some manufacturers guns. That being said he has done a lot of rugers. If it was a sub standard base he wouldn't build on it.

He provided a service to the paying customer. He owes us nothing. What does it garner him? If I were him; I'm not going to stop, dig through my records every time their is a discussion on a particular gun I built.

The cons of doing such far out weigh the good. Lost time. That won't pay the bills.
Possibly alienating a customer.
Alienating a customer base. (Ruger owners)

Demanding an answer is silly. Get over yourself.

Theres always one aint there? No matter what you say, no matter how clear you make your questions/intentions.
If after everything I took the time to type to avoid this here you come.
Ill make this one short for you...
If what you got out of what I said is I am demanding answers perhaps some reading comprehension classes are in order. If this is just your nature nothing I can do about that but say the same...
Get over yourself. Thats pretty clear huh?

·
Never Forget
9,397 Posts
I am not going to speak for Chuck. That being said I know him well enough to say that he is an "I can show you better than I can tell you" type of guy. As stated somewhere above his work speaks for itself. And Chuck will not, in my experience, sell you something you do not need. He will provide you with exactly what you want if he is able. The work I have employed him to do was inside out, not outside in. Meaning that total reliability and performance were paramount to aesthetics. And his aesthetics are unmatched.

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
You mis read. This discussion was about if a specific gun would bring the money. They compared two guns built by the same man. What is being defended is choice of a base gun. You also said "im surprised he hasn't answered as well. I gave legitimate reasons as to why he hasn't or won't. You prod the group with comments like "groupies, and legends in their own minds" then get angry when prodded in return. Nice attempt troll.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Im not angry and Im not going to devolve to name calling. Possible I mis-read. Did you miss the part where I asked If I was missing something?
While this is the norm for most threads its counter productive to what forums are about so I will disengage with you Sir.
Somebody is always offended wherever you go no matter what you say or how you say it. Today its you and tomorrow it will be someone else I dont know.
So who cares anyway. Its all your boss.

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
It is sad when a person comes in insulting the group in an active discussion. It is counter productive. Next time leave off the insults. At least leave them off until your questions get answered so that you can make an informed decision to throw them out. Then you won't be taken as a troll. You might get answers. Life and the thread will go on. We all come out better for it. As you have said there is always someone like you.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Few other guys posted above you in response.
They perceived it differently it seems, the way I intended it.
Long term invested members like yourself.
I find it odd that you use the term "The Group" more than once.
Who is this group that these guys are not a part of?
It kindles my debate spirit since you took offense that I used the word groupies and yet say I insulted & prodded "The Group" ...twice.
Is at all possible that you mis-read my posts?
Im not trolling and Im not going anywhere. I look forward to a long stay.
Im in for the long haul, just like you guys were when you signed up.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If you think I insulted you I will apologize for that right now even tho I pre-apologized from the opening words. Ill do it right now in front of god & everybody lol
I am sorry if what I said insulted you, seriously. It was never my intention.
Im shootin straight with you. All I can do.

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
Few other guys posted above you in response.
They perceived it differently it seems, the way I intended it.
Long term invested members like yourself.
I find it odd that you use the term "The Group" more than once.
Who is this group that these guys are not a part of?
It kindles my debate spirit since you took offense that I used the word groupies and yet say I insulted & prodded "The Group" ...twice.
Is at all possible that you mis-read my posts?
Im not trolling and Im not going anywhere. I look forward to a long stay.
Im in for the long haul, just like you guys were when you signed up.
The group is everyone who was having the discussion before you entered and insulted them. We had disagreements that ended amicably and the thread went on.

What else did you say other than groupies? Oh yeah the part about people being legends in their own minds.

No one declared legendary status.
They shared their personal experiences.

Now please add something to this.

1. Do you feel that a base gun being a ruger hurts the re sale value? If so how do you explain the NORC commanding the same money?

2. Do you think external pressures will effect the resale value? A pandemic and general money/market uncertainty.

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
3. Current configuration of options selected. How the original owner optioned the gun. If it isn't how you want it would you spend 8500 dollars on it? Regardless of base gun?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The group is everyone who was having the discussion before you entered and insulted them. We had disagreements that ended amicably and the thread went on.

What else did you say other than groupies? Oh yeah the part about people being legends in their own minds.

No one declared legendary status.
They shared their personal experiences.

Now please add something to this.

1. Do you feel that a base gun being a ruger hurts the re sale value? If so how do you explain the NORC commanding the same money?

2. Do you think external pressures will effect the resale value? A pandemic and general money/market uncertainty.

1. I believe the Ruger as a base gun hurts the value to some people but I wouldnt be one of them.
It might have a smaller target market but it if it gets in front of the right people there is no telling.

2. I do believe current environment with all the things you said will indeed effect the price. Which way... I dont have a clue Ive seen so much bizarre pricing going on in the last year.

3. How I want it and how I would be willing to accept it because of whos work it is are different things.
I would have to handle/shoot it to to say what I would pay for it.
Im fairly certain that I would not pay 8,500

·
He's a large "member"
1,372 Posts
I pretty much agree with all your points. There is a butt for every seat as they say. Options would effect my choices. I could make that gun work for me. I wouldn't make it work for me at that price point. I would be 10.5k into it by the time I was done.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,482 Posts
The amount of work done is up to a customer, not the smith. This gun was not and is not a full house build. It could have been that Chuck felt the factory parts were adequate. It could have been that the client didn’t have the budget for a full build.

Looking over the build sheet there are some factory Ruger parts left (aside from just the frame/slide/barrel) and also there is about half a page or more worth of details that were not done to this pistol, in comparison to a full house build which would have gotten ALL the details and every single part changed out.

The seller is entitled to ask whatever the heck he wants to ask for it. If it sells high, well then my truly full house Rogers guns just went up in value!

81 - 100 of 122 Posts