Ronin Operator 45

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Arrowhead7, Jul 28, 2020 at 2:09 PM.

1. Arrowhead7

Arrowhead7 Member

Jul 13, 2020
    IMG_3600.jpg 9ED9E5E2-DAED-40D6-8121-4F5F702422A3_1_201_a.jpeg BD8C4E80-A66F-498D-8590-C4777CA5E4B6.JPG Made the mistake of looking at the Springfield IOP prices and saw what a deal these are. While commercial SKU's are almost sold out across the board the same does not apply to IOP SKU's. I have owned several 1911's to most recently include a Springfield TRP. I wish reviews went in depth more to give you details instead of the just a repeat of the manufacturers advertising. This pistol is going to be a project gun and a shooter for me.

The Ronin is designed around a price point and like every pistol under and around $1000 it is full of MIM parts that are dropped in. Two parts inside were fit, the polymer trigger was ground on the top and bottom and the grip safety was fit to the sear. When I received this the it felt like it needed a 23lb recoil spring to overcome the friction of the slide fit and drag by the disconnector. The frame holes for the disconnector and magazine catch were rough. With a little bore paste these areas are mostly fixed. Almost all the parts save for the frame, slide and barrel will likely be replaced.
    10-8 Slide Stop dropped in
    Stan Chen SI Magwell dropped in and was a better fit than stock
    Wilson Combat BP Sear spring dropped in but needed more tension for the grip safety

Parts on Order now:
    Harrison Design trigger
    Wilson BP Mag Catch
    Wilson BP Firing Pin Stop
    Wilson Flat Wire Spring assembly 17lb
    Wilson XP firing pin spring
    IMSI 19lb main spring
    Standard grip bushings
    VZ G10 Double Diamond Grips

Will probably order the Harrison Design True Radius Ignition set when my bank account recovers

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020 at 2:51 PM
  2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Great choices. And since I obviously missed your entry, welcome to the best damn group of addicts you'd ever care to meet. Nice having you here, Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, Dub and Infidel4life11 like this.

3. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I'm a fan of the SA forged frame and slide.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Keep us up to date on the changes and how they are working out for you!

Dub likes this.
  4. Arrowhead7

Arrowhead7 Member

Jul 13, 2020
    B4A497CE-12CC-4FC9-A8B8-123CC6476E88.jpeg
    All new springs installed, Wilson BP mag catch and firing pin stop and the VZ grips. Will fit the new Harrison trigger this weekend

5. Bronzebow

Bronzebow New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    looks great. that's going to be a great pistol. did you do the checkering on the front strap?

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    So what was the total you spent/will spend on extra parts?

7. Arrowhead7

Arrowhead7 Member

Jul 13, 2020
    I don’t have the front strap checkered yet, first couple pics show it with the Wilson combat checkered piece of sheet metal. planning on sending that off to be done with cutting and recessing the slide stop and recessing and crowning the barrel with an EGW bushing.

So far $650 on the pistol and $350 in parts so far.

Uncle Bob and Badabing11 like this.
  8. Arrowhead7

Arrowhead7 Member

Jul 13, 2020
    34135204-0AC8-4BAF-891E-9FEAEE28EB0C.jpeg The thing that set a lot of this modifying in motion was the casting ridge that is on the OEM slide stop. It goes the length of the pin around the end and back to the lever. This was at least a few thousandths as it was easily caught by a finger nail. Just trying to smooth it 1500 took almost all the finish off the pin which made it seem like it was painted to cover up the poor finish underneath. It reminded me of caked on Bondo in place of quality body work. And in the case of these cast parts the surface hardness is what makes the part last. I understand that Springfield will replace anything that breaks but no one wants to go through a warranty repair or have their range session cut short.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    $650? Darn! I missed one for $720 a couple of weeks ago and now I can't find one under $1000. I'll wait.. but mine with be a working pistol, so it'll get set up a bit different.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted